Comic Book Collecting

Started by horrorhunter, April 24, 2020, 11:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Good job!

:)

I'm also more than a bit surprised that there haven't been more Dell Creature comics graded. In any event there are eight Creature comics in grades as high as or much higher than the highest graded copy of Archie's Pal Jughead 79.

:-\

Collecting! It's what I do!

Rex fury

I'm curious if Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds 30 gets slabbed much? Or Jerry Lewis 67? Both have interesting CFTBL covers. Anyone own a copy of Hombre Invisible 126 ( from 1967)?  I'm kind of partial to that creature cover too!
RF

Mike Scott

Quote from: Rex fury on March 03, 2023, 01:12:21 PM
Anyone own a copy of Hombre Invisible 126 ( from 1967)?
RF

There are a ton of Mexican comics with Creech on the cover!

Don't forget LAUGH 130.

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Rex fury

Mike, do you have a favorite Mexican Creature cover? I'm partial to a couple of them, but would be interested in hearing what other folks like?
RF

Mike Scott

Quote from: Rex fury on March 03, 2023, 03:51:23 PM
Mike, do you have a favorite Mexican Creature cover?

Nothing in particular. I like the one you mentioned. Moby Dick #17 (1966) is alright. Chanoc #347 (1966) is good.

CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

Quote from: Rex fury on March 03, 2023, 01:12:21 PMI'm curious if Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds 30 gets slabbed much? Or Jerry Lewis (87)?

I'm guessing that Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds 30 and Laugh 130 have even less of a slabbed population than Archie's Pal Jughead 79. Slabbed VF or better copies of Adventures of Jerry Lewis 87 may be somewhat more common. What draws the slabbers/speculators is comics for which demand is really high and for those high demand comics that are relatively plentiful, e.g. Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic Four 1 and Avengers 4, the slabbed population in high grade could well be in the hundreds.

BRICK though could provide numbers that might refute my thinking.

;)

Rex fury

I think it's fun that the Mexican Creature uses a gun and a trident on those covers. II never knew he appeared with Moby Dick as well!
RF

Hepcat

Mike Scott

Quote from: Rex fury on March 04, 2023, 10:52:16 AM
I think it's fun that the Mexican Creature uses a gun and a trident on those covers.

Trident?
CREATURE FAN

Rex fury

Yeah, he's got a trident in one hand and fighting the Invisible Hombre with his other. Hombre is indeed invisible, as only his white outline shows on the cover! I also laughed out loud at the comic cover with Creature grabbing a very large lady whom looks to be the ugliest lady featured on a comic cover that I can recall!
Hep, yes Jerry Lewis 87; my bad🙄
RF

Mike Scott

Quote from: Rex fury on March 04, 2023, 03:09:43 PM
Yeah, he's got a trident in one hand and fighting the Invisible Hombre with his other.

Oh, the Invisible Man one! I thought you meant the "Moby Dick".

Quote from: Rex fury on March 04, 2023, 03:09:43 PM
I also laughed out loud at the comic cover with Creature grabbing a very large lady who looks to be the ugliest lady featured on a comic cover that I can recall!

Must be one of the "Hermelinda" comics.

CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

Quote from: Rex fury on March 04, 2023, 03:09:43 PMHep, yes Jerry Lewis 87; my bad.

I actually have a copy of The Adventures of Jerry Lewis 87 in my own collection. Here's a scan:

It probably is a VF- in grade if you want to get technical although it might have been advertised as NM- when I bought it in the early 1990's.

The comics featuring the Creature that are highest on my own Want List are:

1. Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds 30 because the cover is great and that Charlton title is so tough to find.

2. Laugh 130 because the issue features a six page story of the Jaguar who's close to being my very favourite superhero and Archies from 1961-62 are even tougher to find these days than Charltons.

;)

Rex fury

Yes, it was an issue of Hermelinda which I referenced. My Spanish isn't the best- does the title translate to "Airtight Linda"? I can't quite grasp the meaning?

Of the Creature comics I'm like the most, the Dell adaptation and the Mysteries are my favorite as they contain stories about the Creature rather than just cover appearances. I also liked the Darkhorse adoption from more recent times.

Neither my Dell, nor Charlton copies would be considered mint, or even close! The Mysteries 30 has a name written in sprawling blue ink, Barbra Gould I think. I always wonder who she was or why she wrote her name on that particular cover?
RF

Mike Scott

Quote from: Rex fury on March 05, 2023, 12:57:31 PM
My Spanish isn't the best- does the title translate to "Airtight Linda"?

Google says:  An ancient Germanic name meaning "powerful + gentle".

Quote from: Rex fury on March 05, 2023, 12:57:31 PM
Of the Creature comics I'm like the most, the Dell adaptation and the Mysteries are my favorite

They're my favorites, too. There is a nice looking "Mysteries" on eBay for $200. Way out of my price range for a comic.
CREATURE FAN

BRICK

Quote from: Hepcat on March 03, 2023, 07:26:42 PM

I'm guessing that Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds 30 and Laugh 130 have even less of a slabbed population than Archie's Pal Jughead 79. Slabbed VF or better copies of Adventures of Jerry Lewis 87 may be somewhat more common. What draws the slabbers/speculators is comics for which demand is really high and for those high demand comics that are relatively plentiful, e.g. Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic Four 1 and Avengers 4, the slabbed population in high grade could well be in the hundreds.

BRICK though could provide numbers that might refute my thinking.

;)

Here are the figures for the above mentioned comics; however, I think that these figures are more of a reflection of the demand rather than the actual supply. That being said, if there were ever a scenario where a buyer wanted a slabbed/graded copy of Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds #30, in any condition, and he wants it right now, today, and was willing to pay ANY price for it; one guy out there just hit the jackpot!!!

When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.