COVID-19 no politics this time...promise

Started by Mord, March 16, 2020, 07:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Anton Phibes

My in laws live in Preble. They have 2 confirmed now. Older folks. We have multiples in my neck of the woods. We are in Warren, but centered so that I could literally walk to Butler or Montgomery County.  Stay safe.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 29, 2020, 06:10:55 AM
My in laws live in Preble. They have 2 confirmed now.

My map must need updating. It shows Preble as zero.
CREATURE FAN

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Mike Scott on March 29, 2020, 06:23:08 AM
My map must need updating. It shows Preble as zero.

Yes, it definitely needs updating. One of those afflicted is an elderly lady with double pneumonia who has it.

link:https://www.whio.com/news/local/coronavirus-preble-county-confirms-first-positive-case/rHEHac5F32XkUWylkGJBLL/

Mike Scott

Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 29, 2020, 05:26:39 PM
Yes, it definitely needs updating.

And still does!

Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 29, 2020, 05:26:39 PM
One of those afflicted is an elderly lady with double pneumonia who has it.

Not good!
CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm still amazed by the stupidity of some people.

So a couple of organizations tracked the locations of cellphones leaving one particular beach in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and the results were of course predictably frightening. The subsequent track of these cellphones shows very clearly why the epicenter of the outbreak has shifted to the eastern part of the United States. 

Now you would think that the reaction of any prudent individual would be "What in hell's name were those idiots doing flying to Florida to party on a beach during a coronavirus outbreak? Have they been living in a cave with no access to news since mid-February?" But no. Some Instagram users were outraged that cellphone locations could and were tracked! Excuse me? Some people don't realize that this is done all the time, particularly by governments? Don't they read detective and spy thrillers where the "bad guys" are tracked through their cell phones? Oh, of course, "students" these days don't read books or any form of print media....  ::)

But the whole Florida march break thing highlights just how slow the authorities have been to respond to the coronavirus. Why were these beaches not closed by March 1? Why were airlines still flying idiots to Florida in March?

Meanwhile the Canadian government just announced yesterday that people with symptoms won't now be allowed to board planes or trains. Just now?!!! I mean had our governments suspended travel to China in mid-January and international travel anywhere in late-February and put citizens returning from those places under quarantine at the time the spread of the virus might still be under control. Now the situation looks dire at best and at worst hopeless.

>:(

And I stick by my previous prediction that Florida will now surpass California within a few days when it comes to case numbers.

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Hepcat on March 30, 2020, 06:23:21 PM
...  Meanwhile the Canadian government just announced yesterday that people with symptoms won't now be allowed to board planes or trains.   ... 

People WITH SYMPTOMS shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere but home or to a doctor's appointment!
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Friends report that the nearby Costco has had to put up signs saying they are not accepting toilet paper returns from customers that have come to the realization they may have overdone it a bit.

If it were me. I would post toilet paper recipes:  Charmin Casserole, Barbecued Brawny, etc.

I know I am an idiot.  I've been aware of it most of my life.  Whenever I have temporarily forgotten, there has always been a helpful family member, friend, casual acquaintance or total stranger happy to step up and remind of that fact - usually at the top of their lungs in quite colorful language.

But I still find occasion to be embarrassed by my fellow man's overwhelming stupidity.  The only thing that continues to surprise me is my renewed amazement each time.

Stay home.  Stay safe.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Here's a fun prediction I missed:

Divorce attorneys are anticipating a surge in business after the Stay-At-Home restrictions are lifted.  Already fragile unions are expected to be strained to their limits during these protracted periods of forced intimacy the next few months.

No matter how dire the news, there is always someone who benefits.

Gravestone carvers are quietly stocking up on granite slabs.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on March 30, 2020, 09:09:36 PM
Friends report that the nearby Costco has had to put up signs saying they are not accepting toilet paper returns from customers that have come to the realization they may have overdone it a bit.

Ha! Suckers!  ;D
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Maybe this would be a good time for the government to fix the roads.
ADAM

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on March 31, 2020, 12:32:01 AM
Maybe this would be a good time for the government to fix the roads.

I thought the same thing.  Construction projects here are all illegal right now, unless there is a significant risk to pubic safety. 

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: aura of foreboding on March 31, 2020, 02:58:28 AM
I thought the same thing.  Construction projects here are all illegal right now, unless there is a significant risk to pubic safety.

Seriously.  All those guys running heavy equipment don't exactly gather around in little clumps.  Couldn't they maintain their safe distances on the job?
ADAM

Dr.Cyclops

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on March 31, 2020, 03:17:44 AM
Seriously.  All those guys running heavy equipment don't exactly gather around in little clumps.  Couldn't they maintain their safe distances on the job?
You're kidding right? Everytime I see a construction crew, there's one guy working while the other six are in a group shooting the breeze watching the one guy working.
"A Castle without a Crypt is like a Unicorn without a Horn" ~ Professor Abronsius

LundyAfterMidnight

I'd like to share something on the hopeful side, if I may:

First of all, it's not my intent to minimize COVID-19. I've had bronchitis 2X in 2 months, placing me in a high risk category. It's hard, I wish I didn't have to work. I work in a shelter. We try to keep our numbers down, but we don't know what's going to come thru the door. Some clients aren't taking this seriously & are making bad decisions that could possibly affect the whole place.

However, MOST people who get COVID-19 are recovering. And we don't need doctor or hospital services unless we are experiencing shortness of breath. Also, MOST people who are hospitalized AND on ventilators are recovering. And keep in mind, the news & social media tend to sensationalize everything.

Our best defense IS hand washing/sanitizing & NOT touching your face or other people. Plus the 3-6ft physical distancing. These work. The virus is a wimp to soap, water & sanitizers.

A last note: Many of the front line healthcare workers who've died from COVID-19 were emergency room personnel who came in contact with it before more solid precautions were set into place.

I obtained this info from a recorded video conference featuring a NYC doctor who's been working w/virus patients exclusively for over a month. I can do my best to find it again, if you'd like to see & hear for yourself.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)