King Kong Back in Theatres

Started by Mike...In 3-D!, February 17, 2020, 06:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike...In 3-D!

Fathom Events is bring the King back for a limited engagement!

https://bit.ly/2HvUZeH
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."

LugosiFan25

I've never been lucky enough to see this on the big screen! I am SO in!

You just can't keep a good ape down!
"....flying saucers? You mean the kind from up there?"

Mike Scott

It's in a (nice looking) theater not far from me. (Ft. Wayne, IN. 30-40 MI.) I'm gonna try to make it!  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Lunkenstein

I got to see KONG 33 and THEM! as a double feature on the big screen a couple years ago. It was a fantastic experience.  As many time as I've watched KONG, I saw little details that I've never noticed before. I may go see it again this time round.
Paul

jerod

jerod

Sir Masksalot

The last time I watched it on the big screen was with an audience of Hollywood hipsters who laughed all the way through.
I left the theater disgusted that night and am hoping audiences are more respectful this time around. 

Monsters For Sale

I've seen 33 Kong on the BIG screen a few times over the years.

It's the only time he stopped looking like a stop-animation puppet for me.  That wall and huge gate really seem massive when they are 40 feet high.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Just a reminder for anyone willing to face crowds during these uncertain times.

https://tinyurl.com/tm6ayec

ADAM

Lunkenstein

I got tickets for me, Number 2 son and his girlfriend 2 nights ago. At that time, there were only 4 other seats reserved. I just checked again and it's still the same, so we'll likely have our pick of any seats.
Paul

Mike Scott

Quote from: Lunkenstein on March 12, 2020, 07:57:02 PM
At that time, there were only 4 other seats reserved.

Damn, that's sad!  :(
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Memphremagog

I'm going to the Sunday showing this weekend. I've managed to see DRACULA(1931), FRANKENSTEIN and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN(1935) on the big screen, so I want to add this one to the list. Next month, I plan on seeing DR.JEKYLL & MR.HYDE(1920) at an area theater along with music by a live orchestra, another special time.
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

segeorge

I just got back. That was fun, especially seeing Kong's face fill the screen. While obviously stop motion, the effects held up pretty well some 87 years later even on a big screen. And the dialogue is wonderfully of its time.

Only about 8 people in the theater, but it was one of the smaller ones. Ticket sales had been low even before the seriousness of Covid-19 was known. There didn't seem to be more than a dozen cars in the parking lot of the 12 theater multiplex.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: segeorge on March 15, 2020, 11:08:50 PM
I just got back. That was fun, especially seeing Kong's face fill the screen. ....    .... 

That's great.  Glad you got to see it that way.

I saw him at least twice on the big screen in the 1950's.  They would occasionally play him as part of the regular Saturday morning Kiddie Matinee.  It was amazing to see it in a packed house of fellow screaming kids.

In the 1970's, I saw him twice at a little 1920's theater down by the beach that had turned into an art house that had three different bills every week and played everything, including silents and foreign films.  It was wonderful. 

I had a monthly pass and used it as my TV.  I was there so often, they would wave me past the ticket taker and refuse to punch my pass.  Sometimes I would sit in the booth next to the projectionist (The booth was located in the back of the small balcony), watching the movie through the little square windows, while talking to him about the film being shown or his latest project in film school.

It was always fun on those nights they would play some 1930's screwball comedy and parents would bring their children.  The whole place would rock with laughter.  I wished the long gone actors could have seen it.
ADAM

Lunkenstein

I had bought 3 tickets, but we decided to stay home and watch the DVD instead. Just felt too risky with the virus. I did get to see it about 2 years ago on the big screen and it was amazing.
Paul

Sir Masksalot

I caught the matinee along with about two dozen other intrepid souls. It looked and sounded great, the audience was well behaved,
and the scenes that were missing for so long from the TV version were all there. It was a fun day at the movies.