The Lindberg monster models!

Started by Hepcat, May 16, 2019, 06:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Following in the path blazed by Aurora, Lindberg Models issued its own line of me-too monster model kits in 1965 - the Mad Mangler, Green Ghoul, Krimson Terror and the Creeping Crusher.

But just two main pieces? I guess they weren't particularly challenging to assemble anyway....

:-\

Collecting! It's what I do!

Kidagain

They look cool but I don't remember ever seeing them back then.Thanks for the pics Hep.

Rex fury

I'll second that I've never seen these guys either! They're cool looking, especially the creature-like figure. Are they pretty rare today?
RF

Sir Masksalot

I don't know who painted the figures in that last image but they look better than the box art!

Hepcat

Quote from: Rex fury on May 16, 2019, 10:01:11 PMAre they pretty rare today?

Yes, they're rare indeed these days and can fetch a pretty price. They just weren't very popular when issued so not many were produced. As a result they're very tough to find now.

cl:)

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

Quote from: Rex fury on May 16, 2019, 10:01:11 PMThey're cool looking, especially the creature-like figure.

Ahhhhh, but of course! The fabled Green Ghoul!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SynEG3_3U38#

8)

Hepcat

Here's another good Youtube video devoted to these kits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvqx2faz9qA

8)

Hepcat

To compete with the Hawk Weird-Ohs, Lindberg released this line of four cheap and rather flimsy Lindy Loony Repulsive kits in 1964:

:-\

The Batman

'Never saw any of these until now. Retro coolness. Thanks  8)

Hepcat

Lindberg also issued these additional four Lindy Loonys in 1965 which if anything were even more repulsive than the Repulsives above:

The Lindy Loonys were all so cheaply made that they retailed for $0.50 in the States!

cl:)

Mord

I used to have all but "Mad Mangler" (who reminds me of Leatherface in a bathrobe). I love the Aurora-style boxes. I think that both Aurora and Lindberg lines sparked my love of collecting the boxes as well the kits. They fed into the 60s love of monster models and troll dolls. And, yes, they weren't around long. I didn't get Mad Mangler because the entire line had disappeared from my local Thrifty's store by the time I could afford it (25 c a week allowance didn't cut it).  Love em all!

Hepcat

Lindberg released the over-the-top wild cool Mad Maestro model kit featuring battery operated motorized dance action in 1965:

Simply sensational! Some would argue that it was Lindberg's finest moment.

8)

ChrisW

I bought the "Creeping Crusher" back when they were first released, but was so disappointed with the simple construction and lack of detail that I never got the rest - after building the realistic, detailed Aurora kits these were a real step backward.

Hepcat

Yes. Two pieces plus a swab of artificial hair just doesn't make it as a model kit in my book.

What's ironic is that most of the resin kits that some model builders "ooooh and ahhhh" over these years are precisely that crude.

::)