Classic cemetery scenes

Started by Memphremagog, May 11, 2019, 02:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memphremagog

In more than a few of the films of the classic era, there could be found at least one scene set in a cemetery, burial ground or tomb. This usually lead to some chills and frights. Do you have a favorite or two? Which ones really stand out in your memory? Discuss, please.. ;)
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Memphremagog

The one that first comes to mind for me is when the grave robbers try to loot the Talbot family crypt during a full moon in FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN(1943)..and the horror that ensues.

http://youtu.be/4n7xlXov_Es

This is the nightmare of anybody who ever lurked in a cemetery, especially after dark. >:D
DARK SHADOWS:

marsattacks666

Quote from: Memphremagog on May 11, 2019, 02:11:24 PM
The one that first comes to mind for me is when the grave robbers try to loot the Talbot family crypt during a full moon in FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN(1943)..and the horror that ensues.

http://youtu.be/4n7xlXov_Es

This is the nightmare of anybody who ever lurked in a cemetery, especially after dark. >:D

Great scene
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mord

I really loved that scene. Another memorable cemetery scene was in Val Lewton's "The Leopard Man". Lewton used sound to create a scenario of pure terror.

Wolfman

The opening scene from the original Night of the Living Dead. That stands out as the ultimate cemetery scene for me.

JP

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Memphremagog

Yes, both THE LEOPARD MAN and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD have iconic cemetery scenes to be sure..scare factor all the way!
DARK SHADOWS:

Anton Phibes

All that were mentioned, but surely we must not forget Bride of Frankenstein and Frankenstein. I also like the graveyards in Mr. Sardonicus and Return of the Vampire.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Anton Phibes on May 12, 2019, 07:58:08 AM
All that were mentioned, but surely we must not forget Bride of Frankenstein and Frankenstein. I also like the graveyards in Mr. Sardonicus and Return of the Vampire.

You beat me!

I was just posting about Return of the Vampire, when I got a warning that there had been another post.

There are a couple great, atmospheric cemetery scenes done on what must have been a pretty small indoor set.  They really help set the tone of the film.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Pet Sematary, 1989 has two memorable scenes. One is in an actual pet cemetery and the other in an ancient people cemetery.

Phantasm, 1985 takes place overnight in a mausoleum, with spinning  balls of death.

Poltergeist takes place on top of a cemetery, and down in it, when they excavate for a pool.
ADAM

Memphremagog

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on May 12, 2019, 08:10:35 AM
Phantasm, 1985 takes place overnight in a mausoleum, with spinning  balls of death.

Phantasm..another mortuary classic!
DARK SHADOWS:

Monsters For Sale

If you don't mind a non-horror reference:

Then and Now, 1995 is a nostalgic comedy that makes use of a couple very nice cemetery scenes.
ADAM

Memphremagog

Both Turhan Bey and Kharis(Lon Chaney,Jr.) hide out in Mapleton Cemetery during THE MUMMY'S TOMB(1942)..

George Zucco and David Bruce get most of their victims from various graveyards in THE MAD GHOUL(1943)...

DARK SHADOWS:

marsattacks666

Mord

Though memorable for other reasons (mainly, Linnea Quigley), "Return of the Living Dead" has one hell of a cemetery scene.