When a cover song is better than the original.

Started by Wicked Lester, September 12, 2018, 01:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked Lester

Sorry guys. Too buzzed to find the link but I will admit that the music cover was better but the soulful voice of Eric Burdon totally owns this song.

Mord

Quote from: Wicked Lester on September 12, 2018, 03:12:52 AM
I don't think I've even heard Words of Love but the Hendrix version of All along the Watcher is actual my favorite Hendrix song. I just wish tht EVERYONE would forget that this was a Bob Dylan cuz that version just totally sux. Hendrix OWNS this and probably always will. 8)
No way would I forget Dylan's earthy version (which in no way sucks). Hendrix was one of the biggest Dylan fans ever, and would completely disagree. He was mesmerized by Dylan's song and decided to give it a go. He also did "Like a Rolling Stone" in most of his live sets, but paled in comparison to the original. Btw, Judas Priest got their name from a Dylan song off the same album as "Watchtower" ( "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest").

Jimi Bat

Hendrix did do Like A Rolling Stone a few times but really not that often. He was a huge Dylan fan and its no accident that Dylan's name is spelled out in the title of his third lp Electric Ladyland. Here is a list of some of the Dylan songs he covered.

All Along The Watchtower,Like A Rolling Stone,Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window,Drifters Escape,Tears Of Rage

He also sings a snippit of a line from Blowin In The Wind as the audience sounds fade out in My Friend.

Doh!

Wicked Lester

Quote from: Doh! on September 21, 2018, 06:06:04 AM
I'm partial to the remake of Mad World myself:

! No longer available

I'm with you all the way. Love this song even though it is pretty depressing.

Mord

Quote from: Jimi Bat on September 21, 2018, 04:15:15 AM
Hendrix did do Like A Rolling Stone a few times but really not that often. He was a huge Dylan fan and its no accident that Dylan's name is spelled out in the title of his third lp Electric Ladyland. Here is a list of some of the Dylan songs he covered.

All Along The Watchtower,Like A Rolling Stone,Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window,Drifters Escape,Tears Of Rage

He also sings a snippit of a line from Blowin In The Wind as the audience sounds fade out in My Friend.

Electric La(dylan)d ....I had no idea. My dad took my brother and me to see Hendrix for our birthday. It was at the Forum with opening act Buddy Miles. Buddy's backing band was the original Allman Brothers. It was great seeing two guitar legends right before their deaths. Hendrix was musically excellent, but lacked that early flash. Duane Allman was also a treat to hear. I can't believe it's been almost fifty years since. Great show. Four years later I saw Dylan and the Band at the same venue. They used Hendrix's arrangement of "All Along the Watchtower", with Robbie Robertson paying tribute with a blistering guitar solo.

Jimi Bat

Your dad took you to the Forum to see Hendrix in 1970!!! That's special and I must admit I'm absolutely green with envy.
That was opening night of his last American tour and one of my favorite Hendrix shows. I used to torture friends and clear out rooms with a boot of that show back in the 70s. I sure wish a soundboard of it would show up one day.

Mord

Quote from: Jimi Bat on September 22, 2018, 03:56:05 AM
Your dad took you to the Forum to see Hendrix in 1970!!! That's special and I must admit I'm absolutely green with envy.
That was opening night of his last American tour and one of my favorite Hendrix shows. I used to torture friends and clear out rooms with a boot of that show back in the 70s. I sure wish a soundboard of it would show up one day.

I had a bootleg from that show, too....horrible audience recording. My ticket stub (which I lost after my move) was priced at $3.50! My dad, brother, and myself saw this great show for a little over ten bucks. I remember having the souvenir program for the longest time (now, also gone). Any show now will run you from a hundred to three hundred dollars.

Wolfman

When Will I Be Loved by Linda Ronstadt is superior to the original version by The Everly Brothers imo.

JP

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on September 21, 2018, 03:43:21 PM
Electric La(dylan)d ....I had no idea. My dad took my brother and me to see Hendrix for our birthday. It was at the Forum with opening act Buddy Miles. Buddy's backing band was the original Allman Brothers. It was great seeing two guitar legends right before their deaths. Hendrix was musically excellent, but lacked that early flash. Duane Allman was also a treat to hear. I can't believe it's been almost fifty years since. Great show. Four years later I saw Dylan and the Band at the same venue. They used Hendrix's arrangement of "All Along the Watchtower", with Robbie Robertson paying tribute with a blistering guitar solo.

Holy, cats!!! Now that is awesome!!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

geezer butler

These versions are not better by any means, but still pretty cool. Anyhow, listening to some cool versions of political charged anthems.

Sepultura: Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos (Public Enemy)
Shai Hulud: Fearless Vampire Killers (Bad Brains)
Boysetsfire: Holiday in Cambodia (Dead Kennedys)
Napalm Death: Nazi Punks F_#* Off (Dead Kennedys)
Fear Factory: Your Mistake (Agnostic Front)

geezer butler

I was listening to more cool covers tonight. Again, not better but definitely interesting

Nine Inch Nails: Get Down Make Love (Queen)
Moby: That's When I Reach for My Revolver (Mission of Burma)
Stone Sour: Sailin' On (Bad Brains)
Stone Sour: Too Fast For Love (Motley Crue)
Stone Sour: The Dark (Metal Church)

Those are actually pretty respectable Bad Brains and Crue covers by Stone Sour. And their cover of "The Dark" is sick as hell.

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: geezer butler on September 15, 2018, 09:47:19 PMInteresting topic. Faith No More is one of my favorite bands. I think they stand out in this category. They've recorded some killer versions of interesting songs, including:

I Started a Joke (by the Bee Gees)

Spanish Eyes (Engelbert Humperdinck)

I Wanna F%#* Myself (GG Allin)

Easy (the Commodores)

Just google these and you'll find them. FNM crazy talented imo.

The definitive version of Spanish Eyes was by Al Martino:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enIdTGckjKs

:)

Hepcat

The Shirelles' version was good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKgkDxnG9Z8#

But Smith took Baby It's You to the stratosphere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIGo31k-qkw#

8)