Is Jeff Beck the greatest guitarist of them all?

Started by Hepcat, May 10, 2019, 08:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Cyclops

Quote from: Hepcat on February 08, 2022, 11:38:08 PM
While he can't be blamed for the condition, Nicky Hopkins has been dead since 1994.

Incidentally, why are you so positively determined to put Paul McCartney behind the drum set? I know, I know, he's played a bit of drums for his solo releases but Jeff Beck has played with a number of much better drummers.

???

SORRY Hepcat. I think you misinderstood me  when I said: How's this for a Super Group ?
What I was referring to were the Musicians who played on
"Paul Jones - The Dog Presides (1967)"
Vocals & Harmonica:Paul Jones
Guitar: Jeff Beck
Bass: Paul Samwell Smith
Drums: Paul McCartney
Keyboards: Nicky Hopkins
Produced by: Peter Asher
and believe it or not Paul McCartney is the drummer on "the Dog Presides", most likely as a favour
to Peter Asher.
https://www.the-paulmccartney-project.com/song/the-dog-presides/#:~:text=%E2%80%9C%20The%20Dog%20Presides%20%E2%80%9D%20is%20a%20song,A-Side%2C%20%E2%80%9C%20And%20The%20Sun%20Will%20Shine%20%E2%80%9C.

...FYI if I was pitting together a fantasy supergroup you're right McCartney wouldn't be my pick on drums.

"A Castle without a Crypt is like a Unicorn without a Horn" ~ Professor Abronsius

Dr.Terror

No, there are countless nameless jazz guitarists who could blow every "guitar god" out of the water.     

But if I were to pick the greatest Rock guitaist Id pick Billy Gibbons. 
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Hepcat

Quote from: Dr.Cyclops on February 22, 2022, 10:51:37 AM
SORRY Hepcat. I think you misinderstood me  when I said: How's this for a Super Group ?
What I was referring to were the Musicians who played on
"Paul Jones - The Dog Presides (1967)"

...FYI if I was pitting together a fantasy supergroup you're right McCartney wouldn't be my pick on drums.

Okay, now I understand! The Dog Presides is indeed an excellent tune though.

;)

Collecting! It's what I do!

Dr.Cyclops

I highly recommend a youtube channel called Yesterday's Papers:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU5PMveTuyvJSLGE3Zzxcg
Well done videos with info taken right from vintage English Rock mags of the 60's like NME
and Melody Maker. The best are the "Rockstar's review the Singles of such and such Date"
OMG they're brutally honest to the point where you'd think some animosity is involved.  >:D
The great part is discovering tons of little gems like "The Dog Presides" that were probably never released on our side of the Atlantic.
"A Castle without a Crypt is like a Unicorn without a Horn" ~ Professor Abronsius

Hepcat

Hepcat

R.I.P. Geoffrey Arnold Beck (24 June 1944 – 10 January 2023)

:(

Hepcat

Here's another oft overlooked gem by Jeff Beck:

Blue Wind

8)

Dr.Cyclops

I still can't believe he's dead  :'( I almost went to see him a couple of months back. I thought for sure he would live to be 100 as he was vegan for over 50 years and to my knowledge was never a Heroin junkie unlike his two fellow Yardbirds (EC & JP) coupled also with the fact that he was still improving and constantly exploring new Guitar sounds while his peers were all comfortable with resting on their laurels, existing in a career holding pattern. RIP to the Maestro Jeff Beck .. you are and will be forever missed!

Hepcat

Quote from: Dr.Cyclops on January 15, 2023, 03:49:01 PM...coupled also with the fact that he was still improving and constantly exploring new Guitar sounds while his peers were all comfortable with resting on their laurels, existing in a career holding pattern. RIP to the Maestro Jeff Beck .. you are and will be forever missed!

Yes, precisely!

:)

Memphremagog

DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Anthony Caranci

Jeff Beck was always one of my favorites. In fact, I have most of his albums, but not all. My favorite Jeff Beck album is There and Back. Nowadays, I find myself listening to Joe Satriani more than any other guitarist. I've always been a Synthesizer guy myself. Over the years, I've owned a Moog Opus 3 (my 1st) in the late 70s (very primitive analog synth), a Roland D-20 Digital Workstation (1988 and I then scrapped the opus 3), I then paired that with a Korg O1/W Pro X (1991) using MIDI. I sold both keyboards in 2006 as they were becoming outdated.

I recently felt the urge to have another Synthesizer Workstation in my life before "I check out" and I just purchased a Korg Nautilus 88 Key which arrived August. 8, 2023. And like Colin Clive says to Mae Clarke in Frankenstein: It's like Heaven being with you again."