Charlie Watts....underrated?

Started by marsattacks666, April 06, 2018, 02:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks666

Let begin by saying: Charlie Watts is an amazing and talented drummer/musician. That said, Mr. Watts is in my opinion an underrated drummer. Any fans of Charlie Watts?

I picked some videos to share.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MiswNgUYD4M
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S3FUA0Hj7fI
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mord

Oh, hell yeah! I always have the same discussion with my musician friends. Not only is Watts a great rock/jazz drummer, but he has a very distinctive style. He hits the snare harder than people a third his age.

Hepcat

Quote from: marsattacks666 on April 06, 2018, 02:28:21 PMLet begin by saying: Charlie Watts is an amazing and talented drummer/musician. That said, Mr. Watts is in my opinion an underrated drummer. Any fans of Charlie Watts?

Oh, I fully agree! The Rolling Stones tried for weeks to get Charlie Watts to join their band in late 1962. Charlie was already an accomplished drummer with Alexis Korner's band Blues Incorporated at the time.

Quite simply the Stones have sounded great since Charlie joined, and there's no way a band can sound great without a terrific drummer.

19th Nervous Breakdown

8)

Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: Mord on April 06, 2018, 05:22:32 PMOh, hell yeah! I always have the same discussion with my musician friends.

Huh?! Do you have musician friends who disagree and don't think that Charlie is an excellent drummer?

???

Hepcat

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mord

Quote from: Hepcat on April 06, 2018, 06:18:32 PM
Huh?! Do you have musician friends who disagree and don't think that Charlie is an excellent drummer?

???
No, but they are more into those "20 minute drum solo" types of drummers. I don't think there's any doubt about Charlie's chops.

The Batman

'Love Charlie Watts. 'Underrated by some people but not I.
I love what he said about drum machines - they will NEVER replace a human drummer.

Personally I (The Batman) would never have a drum machine without soul in any of my blues or rock bands. Not even reggae dub project bands.

Mord

Quote from: The Batman on April 07, 2018, 02:46:57 AM
'Love Charlie Watts. 'Underrated by some people but not I.
I love what he said about drum machines - they will NEVER replace a human drummer.

Personally I (The Batman) would never have a drum machine without soul in any of my blues or rock bands. Not even reggae dub project bands.

I hear ya, brother. It's a sad time for music fans. With drum machines, auto-tune, and slick production, any sign of humanity disappears.

Hepcat

Quote from: Mord on April 07, 2018, 12:47:16 AMNo, but they are more into those "20 minute drum solo" types of drummers.

A drum solo is a bit of a contradiction in terms. Isn't a drummer supposed to keep time for a piece of music? This therefore presupposes that other instruments should be playing in order for the drummer to do his job.

???

marsattacks666

As a drummer, I am not a fan of drum solos. With exception of Bonham, Rich, Peart, Watts, Mitchell, Carr, Criss, Singer and Ward. Those drummers can make a drum solo magical.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

Has Charlie Watts ever indulged in a drum solo with the Rolling Stones?

???

Mord

Quote from: Hepcat on April 09, 2018, 05:00:23 PM
Has Charlie Watts ever indulged in a drum solo with the Rolling Stones?

???
I've been going to Stones shows since '72 (High School sophomore), and have seen them many times since. He never did a drum solo at any of the shows.  That didn't stop him from shining. Brilliant every time.

Hepcat

The summer of 1972 was the first time I saw the Stones as well. I remember being somewhat disappointed in their song selection for the concert at Maple Leaf Gardens at the time, and in retrospect I still am:

Brown Sugar
Bitch
Rocks Off
Gimme Shelter
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Love in Vain
Sweet Virginia
You Can't Always Get What You Want
All Down the Line
Midnight Rambler
Bye Bye Johnny
Rip This Joint
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man

I was hoping for more of the big hit singles and other tracks from the 1964-69 period that had made the Stones my favourite rock band.

Sadly I'd missed them in London, Ontario in the spring of 1965 (a disaster that was cut short by the police) and at the Olympia in Detroit in the fall of 1969.

:(

Mord

Ok, I happen to love that set list. Sure, they could have done more oldies, but they were emboldened by the great reviews they were getting for the new material. Recently, the Stones have become rivivalists and are doing "deep cuts" from classic albums as well as a bottomless pit of old hits. I really give them credit for never breaking up. We are 4 years away from their 60th anniversary as a band. I give Keef all the credit for that. He and Charlie love the road. Mick would rather be at a high society party.