Yagher Kharis.

Started by Anton Phibes, March 05, 2018, 06:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_horror_man

Quote from: StyreneDude on March 19, 2018, 03:22:38 AM
Yeah the cigarette smoke is a whole other issue. My wife is really sensitive to it and every box I've gotten from him reeks of it.

Receiving new or any collectible reeking of smoke is unacceptable. It ruins the piece. It can never be displayed unless it is in a case or bag. If not and left in the open, it will fill the whole room and even other rooms in your home with smoke smell. It is a disgusting smell. Sometimes an item can be treated, but most of the time, the smoke smell still remains.

I have thought for years that any site you buy from, particularly ebay, should have a "smoking" or "non smoking home" condition listed. They have new, pre owned and used. Smoking or non smoking should also be listed.

thm

Anton Phibes

I had some stuff in my hands to buy at a flea market one day. They smelled. I asked the vendor: "What's with the smell?". He replied "I got those off of Ole Smokey Sean". No sale. When a guy goes to sell his collectibles at a flea market, and the vendors know its gonna stink the place up.....and even nickname the dude "Ole Smokey"....why bother to even have the items brought into your shop.?I had asthma and croup as well as many bouts with bronchitis in my lifetime due to family smoking when I was a child. Never going back to those days. The smell makes me ill. :angel:

FrankFan95

It's a problem for his business in my opinion the smoke smell is horrendous luckily cleaning it up with dishwasher soap and deep scrubbing helped the smell get out of the piece itself but still it was ridiculous. Right now the owner of Rebel Resin is on a whole rant on Facebook over Dan Fuller for recasting his pieces apparently. He posts here under the name DirtyHose correct?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Joseph_Baeza

Quote from: FrankFan95 on March 19, 2018, 07:36:18 PM
It's a problem for his business in my opinion the smoke smell is horrendous luckily cleaning it up with dishwasher soap and deep scrubbing helped the smell get out of the piece itself but still it was ridiculous. Right now the owner of Rebel Resin is on a whole rant on Facebook over Dan Fuller for recasting his pieces apparently. He posts here under the name DirtyHose correct?

Tony is on fire over Dan Fuller on FB, and it has apparently caused a lot of Dan's FB friends to either unfriend him or block him from certain FB groups that he posts to.  I've purchased all of Yagher's monster magnet heads from Tony/Resin Rebel, and I can see that Tony's castings are sometimes sloppy.  A couple of the heads came with dye on them, and one without magnets, but Tony has always been cool about getting them replaced when I have an issue.  Although I would prefer not to have to deal with ANY issues when I buy something, I understand that Tony is a one man show and mistakes will be made.  As for Dan (Dirtyhorse), I don't know the guy personally; he is obviously an exceptionally talented painter/artist and seems like a nice guy on UMA, but if he is re-casting stuff and selling on eBay, that just ain't cool.  He would be messing with some people's financial livelihoods if that were the case.

Anton Phibes

Just read the Facebook ordeal. Re-casting BAD. Monsters good.

FrankFan95

Quote from: Joseph_Baeza on March 19, 2018, 09:53:39 PM
Tony is on fire over Dan Fuller on FB, and it has apparently caused a lot of Dan's FB friends to either unfriend him or block him from certain FB groups that he posts to.  I've purchased all of Yagher's monster magnet heads from Tony/Resin Rebel, and I can see that Tony's castings are sometimes sloppy.  A couple of the heads came with dye on them, and one without magnets, but Tony has always been cool about getting them replaced when I have an issue.  Although I would prefer not to have to deal with ANY issues when I buy something, I understand that Tony is a one man show and mistakes will be made.  As for Dan (Dirtyhorse), I don't know the guy personally; he is obviously an exceptionally talented painter/artist and seems like a nice guy on UMA, but if he is re-casting stuff and selling on eBay, that just ain't cool.  He would be messing with some people's financial livelihoods if that were the case.
Tony is definitely on fire about it I cannot blame him either if he's truly recasting his stuff. But again Tony is a nice guy and will fix or replace your order I can agree he's got good service but the smoke smell needs to be controlled and stuff it ain't right. The cast being a bit messy I can slide and understand one man duty.
Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 19, 2018, 10:37:43 PM
Just read the Facebook ordeal. Re-casting BAD. Monsters good.
I agree.

Sir Spooks-A-Lot

Is there actually any evidence of Dan recasting?, I noticed that the UMA was mentioned but not in a positive light.
You Mean The Movie Lied?!?!

FrankFan95

Quote from: Sir Spooks-A-Lot on March 20, 2018, 04:20:52 PM
Is there actually any evidence of Dan recasting?, I noticed that the UMA was mentioned but not in a positive light.
I have no clue if true or not honestly.

Anton Phibes

It's been a confirmed topic of discussion on The Clubhouse forums for some time unfortunately. Great painter though.

StyreneDude

Quote from: Sir Spooks-A-Lot on March 20, 2018, 04:20:52 PM

Yes, the heads from at least three of Gillman Productions busts currently in production including the Shining were recast and turned into magnets. The pics were posted here but have since disappeared.

Here are a few recent examples posted here by Dan himself...

The head of Dr. Pretorius from the "I Love Dead" kit was recast to make a custom figure, and the Frankenstein magnet is obviously recast from the Tony McVey kit.

FrankFan95

Yeah dude has talent just wasn't cool to recast.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: FrankFan95 on March 21, 2018, 06:09:02 PM
Yeah dude has talent just wasn't cool to recast.

I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately if someone has talent, people tend to overlook their bad behavior. AKA they "get a pass". I never understood the concept of this myself,lol.  Dang shame about the re-casting. Seems more money would be made simply painting others kits in droves and having a solid rep.

Not my row to hoe, as I have never consigned Mr. Fuller for any work, and have only 2 things he has done in my collection, neither of which are re-casts. One is a painted PE Lee Dracula doll head, and the other a Six Strings Wolfman kit that I am 100% certain is the real McCoy.

Bottom Line:  If folks don't trust you to paint their stuff without fear of funny business, they will stop sending it.  :-X

FrankFan95

Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 21, 2018, 06:24:58 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately if someone has talent, people tend to overlook their bad behavior. AKA they "get a pass". I never understood the concept of this myself,lol.  Dang shame about the re-casting. Seems more money would be made simply painting others kits in droves and having a solid rep.

Not my row to hoe, as I have never consigned Mr. Fuller for any work, and have only 2 things he has done in my collection, neither of which are re-casts. One is a painted PE Lee Dracula doll head, and the other a Six Strings Wolfman kit that I am 100% certain is the real McCoy.

Bottom Line:  If folks don't trust you to paint their stuff without fear of funny business, they will stop sending it.  :-X
I highly agree!

knewby

Not trying to stir the pot with recasting and not...but...I find it a tad hypocritical if one is selling unlicensed Unimonsters and complaining.....just my two cents...not condoning recasting at all..just sayin'. I get that it is "stealing" by recasting but isn't it "stealing" if one is selling Universal Monsters without paying royalties?

Anton Phibes

Nope.This is a hobby....not a business. The garage kit hobby is literally kept alive by a small handful of sculptors and producers. From what I understand, the sales of said kits basically have all these fellas making precious little bank, usually used to pay for the next sculpt and materials.  Sculptors are the only ones who actually get any real cash, and even then.....sometimes that isn't even true.

So, when someone else makes an inferior copy: then passes it off as an actual cast (rather than the pit hole filled, smaller, less detailed, and generally crappy recast it is), no one wins but the re-caster. Even the customer gets hosed because one day he sees the original version of the kit and realizes his is smaller, covered in pits, has less detail, and the deal he or she thought they were getting was not existent. They were actually being taken advantage of.

Meanwhile, actual kit sales perform sub-par, and the cycle of being able to have new kits sculpted is interrupted or ceased, and said "company" (a guy in his garage) simply declare the venture not worth their time and quit. As multiple kit makers have done. Re-casting is bottom feeding and destroys the hobby in the long run for a quick buck. The end.