Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 17, 2018, 01:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: horrorhunter on November 10, 2018, 10:59:10 PM
There are a couple of S7 Creature Masks on eBay currently listed for over $50, and one S7 Frank listed as an auction with min. bid at a hundred bucks. I was wondering when these would start popping up at inflated prices. Still, that isn't many listings so there must be a scarcity of these things. ...  ... Super 7 would do well to produce another run of the Creatures and Franks. They could probably sell through on them at $20 a pop. 

They don't seem to be making much excess product when it comes to Universal Monster items.

Maybe they could keep collector interest up by altering the colors of masks and boxes on future runs.
ADAM

Skorpius

Brian Flynn (Super7) mentioned on Instagram or somewhere that a second run may be done next year.

VulcansFury

Maria is listed as "copper", and its an oversized card. There is absolutely no way that mold is exclusive to the show, its just a paint/Variant. Designercon is a fun show, but its too small to support a unique mold, and S7 is the king of milking molds for repaints. She will be on the website eventually, and a standard version will inevitably follow.

I decided to skip the masks. I wanted them, but s7 were heavily milking their releases to get multiple shipping charges. One week Alien/Hellboy, then Universal Monsters, then SDCC releases of reaction figures, then the masks. Ask Fans of Mattels "Matty Collector"  lines how well their shipping woes hurt their lines and drove fans away out of frustration.II really love s7 reaction figures, but I want to spend my money on toys not multiple shipping charges, and Im not interested in scrambling to compete against ebay scalpers. Tons of other stuff competing for my money including the rebirth of Mego. And I'm skipping Designercon in favor of work so I'll get whatever standard version of Maria comes out later. Really, really getting tired of the constant con exclusives.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: VulcansFury on November 12, 2018, 12:47:01 PM
...  Really, really getting tired of the constant con exclusives. 

You ain't the only one.
ADAM

John Pertwee

This reminds me of the 1701 debacle with the Star Trek line. They thought doing chase figures limited to 1,701 releases was a good idea. All it did was anger the completest collectors among us and cause a large portion of us to quit that quest. They "released" the figures in a three pack as the 1701 series as an attempt to appease us, but it wasn't the same.

Anton Phibes

Chase crap backfires with me....and a lot of other collectors. Especially now. People's behavior patterns have changed. As have their methods of purchasing things. Super7 talked me right out of collecting their masks. By making them such short runs. Not gonna fight to have the "honor" or "privilege" of giving someone my money for a product. Either make it available for the ones who want it or don't. 

Marketers have also learned that a lot of collectors have ocd. They will buy every version of every thing.  I don't play those games either.

marsattacks666

Quote from: John Pertwee on November 12, 2018, 04:27:01 PM
This reminds me of the 1701 debacle with the Star Trek line. They thought doing chase figures limited to 1,701 releases was a good idea. All it did was anger the completest collectors among us and cause a large portion of us to quit that quest. They "released" the figures in a three pack as the 1701 series as an attempt to appease us, but it wasn't the same.

Playmates Star Trek, line?
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

John Pertwee

Yes. The released Picard and Yar as a limited release, and because of the outrage that followed they released the Barclay figure in a run of 3,000 instead of 1,701. It didn't help.

VulcansFury

I vividly remember the 1701 debacle. It upset the fandom so much that sales overall plummeted hard enough to kill the line. Sadly it was long enough ago that a lot of modern marketers dont grasp that situation. I love s7's MOTU line (got into it for Scareglow because glow in the dark skeletons are awesome) and have been instantly turned off due to the high number of limited exclusives, its overwhelmingly ridiculous. And for all of those and even the masks, S7 doesnt care what I think because they still sell out. But if itturns off enough people overall, this is how lines die when the retailers get stuck with unsold stock and dont buy more. BBTS and EE and the like are still holding the bag on a lot of the standard releases. Just like the vendors at SDCC who complain that Funko spams the market with too many exclusives that the fans dont have enough money to spend elsehere at other booths.

John Pertwee

Target is sitting on a bunch of Mego figures because they thought Alice and Norm would sell 10,000 units. I want to give up  on ever finding a Werewolf since they will never open those boxes.

horrorhunter

Quote from: John Pertwee on November 13, 2018, 02:25:17 AM
Target is sitting on a bunch of Mego figures because they thought Alice and Norm would sell 10,000 units. I want to give up  on ever finding a Werewolf since they will never open those boxes.
Patience. The Ape Footed Lycanthropes will eventually show up on the Target website. At 10K units there are just too many for them not to. Target just doesn't care about the availability of items like this, so they're in no hurry to list them. They have proven to be uncaring and ignorant concerning their collector customers. In a few years the figures will legitimately sell for more, but there will be a long window of time when they'll be $15-$20, or less.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

MadCow

Quote from: John Pertwee on November 13, 2018, 02:25:17 AM

I don't recommend it, BUT, you could buy up a chunk of the figures forcing them to have to restock and then return the older figures after the restock. Like I said, I don't agree with this tactic but I've seen and heard of people doing it with other toy lines.

LordMudd

Quote from: marsattacks666 on November 10, 2018, 09:56:01 PM
I would love to have that/Her. Truly awesome.

I ill have this. It has been on my suggestion list for years. So has the Metaluna Mutant. Maybe someone is finally smart enough to listen to me.

ELVIRA.
VAMPIRELLA.
BARBARELLA.
GALAXINA.

CCC.

Palifan

Just letting you all done that I had a message from my contact at Super7 and the Metropolis figure will be available on-line after the convention. They're keeping lots back so if you do want one it shouldn't be a problem.  ;D

Ian

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Palifan on November 13, 2018, 09:03:47 PM
Just letting you all done that I had a message from my contact at Super7 and the Metropolis figure will be available on-line after the convention. They're keeping lots back so if you do want one it shouldn't be a problem.  ;D

Ian

So the "Convention Exclusive" really isn't?  That sounds like a deliberate misrepresentation by the manufacturer.  Not saying they are dishonest.  Just saying that it sounds that way to my uninformed ear.  Wonder how it would appear to convention attendees?

Why all the hype?  Why not simply make a product, advertise its price and sell it to interested parties?  Why is everything accompanied by yet another promotional yank?

Just askin'.

ADAM