The Skull Replica Prop

Started by the_horror_man, March 11, 2018, 04:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_horror_man

A few years ago, I commissioned this prop replica of The Skull from the movie The Skull (1965) starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Another great film in the Cushing/Lee library. Robert Block (PSYCHO) wrote the original story the film is based on.

thm

Sir Masksalot

By "replica", do you mean it was cast from the screen-used prop?
Who signed the certificate and what does it read? I'd be most
interested in knowing more about this distinctive skull, thanks.

the_horror_man

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on March 11, 2018, 05:33:32 AM
By "replica", do you mean it was cast from the screen-used prop?
Who signed the certificate and what does it read? I'd be most
interested in knowing more about this distinctive skull, thanks.

This was created by Dan Fuller, member Dirty Horse here. I commissioned him to do a replica of the skull from the film. I went on line and searched for a skull that had similar features and would be the base for this project. I found one from a company (can't remember the name) that makes skulls. Although the one I chose had similar features, it needed a lot of work to make it look like The Skull. The cheek bones were augmented and sculpted. The cranium was also augmented and sculpted. I think the supra orbital ridges were also worked on. The teeth were drilled and carved. Then the whole piece was given a repaint.

I asked for a COA because I thought it would compliment the piece nicely. The COA is to state that it is Dan's work and a one off piece, not an official piece related to the film. I had asked Dan if he ever planned on doing another one and he said no. From what he said, this was not an easy project to pull off, especially having to drill and carve the skull.

thm

Sir Masksalot

What a great project. Thanks for the details, horror_man.

The Batman

long live kong

Brilliant! I love the colour scheme DirtyHorse went with. I owned a real human skull once, it was a medical specimen. I sold it for about £15 when I was a student to go out to the pub one night. One of my greatest regrets!
Monster lovers never grow old....

skully

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Creepy

That is a cool project and a fantastic finished piece.
Check out my Vintage posters and Masks at The Haunted Cinema

the_horror_man