Well it's official...no new Mezco One:12 monsters.

Started by StyreneDude, July 15, 2017, 09:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

Quote from: Anton Phibes on August 13, 2019, 01:14:28 AM
Wolfman gets no love despite Lon Chaney figuratively carrying Universal on his back during the 1940's. Wolfman's story being the plot glue for "Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman", "House of Frankenstein", and  "House of Dracula" and Lon literally playing every monster they tossed at him. Kharis, Alucard, Frankenstein's Monster.

I agree wholeheartedly with that assessment. The heart and soul of those " monster-mash" movies was Lawrence Talbot.Sadly, the buying public doesn't. I think The Creature has proven his sellability time and time again.

aura of foreboding

Honestly, it has nothing to do with Lon.  I think the Jack Pierce Wolf Man makeup is the biggest turn-off for modern collectors.  It's just not what they think of when they think of a werewolf, which is sad to me.  Creature is iconic and has a rabid fanbase.  Lugosi is the quintessential vampire.  Lachester is what people think of when they think the Bride of Frankenstein.  And the pierce Frankenstein makeup will forever be unchallenged, but poor Wolfie has been re-imagined too many times in recent years, and his image is no longer the one that comes to mind when people think werewolf.   >:(   

the ugly insect

I think the biggest problem with the Mezco one:12 line is value. I just don't think any of these figures, as cool as many of them are, are worth the ridiculous price mezco is asking for these. Now you introduce the umpteenth Frankenstein figure...and he looks great but what is he like 6"? $80 for a 6" figure, c'mon. I used to buy everything Universal monster related, but a couple of years ago I was just like....enough. This Mezco Frankenstein is actually the piece that finally made me put my foot down. Again he looks awesome, but not $80 awesome. 

I may still pick him up at some point if I see him at a heavily reduced price, but honestly with the exception of the Marvel and DC licenses, which are obviously super hot right now, I can't see Mezco being able to sucker fans for $80 a figure on too many other licensed  properties in regards to this line.

Lazarus

Honestly, I think if they just made the movies more accessible, and put them on Netflix (Not Hulu, Disney has too much as it is) and TV, they could cultivate new fans.  Monster movies are monster movies, and kids like monsters.  And those are SQUEAKY clean compared to most stuff.

As it is, they kind of keep these things under the rug, and it's choking their brand.  The crap remakes aren't helping.

At the very least, it looks like Mondo is going to be giving us new 12" offerings in the future, but their Creature is still in very early stages.

Akira-Devilman

I got this Frankenstein monster figure from Mezco a couple of days ago. I was against to it since o was sure theyr were not going to release any more Monsters and also, the price was too high for such small figure but i got it for 20$!!!!! I could not resists get him!!!

20$ for this figure while the other were 80$, its extremely evident the seller wanted to get rid of this figure fast.

Blue Fang

I think the main problem with Universal Monsters is their lack of exposure. The current merchandise produced while successful may be too niche to attract new fans, at least for a while

I think if Universal started to actually push Universal Monsters in the way Godzilla has been pushed, they'll see a lot more success

Many more people are monster fans than you would think, especially old ones. The problem is in drawing their eye and as it is Universal has failed to really understand why people love the classic Universal Monsters

Though they did great with the first two Mummy films they were entirely different
I must insist upon one thing. Under no circumstances are you to go out onto the moors at night.

Graboids!

Happy Halloween!

Mord

Quote from: Akira-Devilman on September 07, 2019, 01:54:31 AM
I got this Frankenstein monster figure from Mezco a couple of days ago. I was against to it since o was sure theyr were not going to release any more Monsters and also, the price was too high for such small figure but i got it for 20$!!!!! I could not resists get him!!!

20$ for this figure while the other were 80$, its extremely evident the seller wanted to get rid of this figure fast.

Great deal, congratulations! Whatever the price, that figure is amazing. I'm in awe at the amount of detail they got on a figure that small. The "angry face" is another selling point. Most Frankenstein figures have the standard passive look. I think this figure, along with the NECA Headknocker, are the very best sculpted, mass-produced Frankie items ever.

MadCow

Quote from: Akira-Devilman on September 07, 2019, 01:54:31 AM

Wow, that's really cheap. Congrats! Is it legit or one of the Chinese knock-offs?

Lazarus

Did they do knockoffs for him?  I thought they usually do them for the figures that get pricey in the aftermarket.