Well it's official...no new Mezco One:12 monsters.

Started by StyreneDude, July 15, 2017, 09:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StyreneDude

Absolutely nothing announced for SDCC.

It appears Frankenstein was a poor seller and the line is DOA.

That sucks...

Anton Phibes

the_horror_man

I've noticed that the Frankenstein from that line has dropped to around the $50 price range. There is a lot to discuss about this. Basically my/our generation (40 and above) might be the last generation that is really passionate about the Universal monsters. Don't get me wrong, the Universal Monsters will always endure and some younger generation individuals will maintain their interest in the genre. However, as far as a demographic for it, it is going to be less and less and time goes on.

To take a macro view of all this. We, monster lovers and collectors, make up a small part of the population. Also, kids today aren't exactly rushing out to get the latest Frankenstein or Dracula figure. Also, remakes of the classics monsters don't seem to make kids want to buy the Universal Monsters anymore than they normally would.

Some adult collectors seem to be moving away from collecting and even selling off their collection. It seems overall interest is down. Look at this site for example, I am sure people have their reasons, but there is not much posting going on here. Not many are showing pics of their collectibles or participating in discussions. Just a few years ago, this site was alive with pics and discussions. People would post a thread and in a day or 2 there were like 3 pages of discussion about it. Sometimes I ask myself, this is a monster site isn't it? Does anyone want to talk about monsters anymore?

I would have loved a 1:12 scale Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Mummy and/or The Wolfman. If it doesn't happen, at least I have other scale representations of these characters in my collection.

thm

Remco Wolfman

Quote from: the_horror_man on July 15, 2017, 10:36:08 AM
Also, kids today aren't exactly rushing out to get the latest Frankenstein or Dracula figure. Also, remakes of the classics monsters don't seem to make kids want to buy the Universal Monsters anymore than they normally would.

I think one reason kids aren't rushing out to get monster toys is because there aren't many monster "toys".  There are adult collectibles every so often but even adult collectors note their "action figures" break if you touch them (My 8" Sideshow Wolfman's arm broke off when I tried to move it.)

When they do sell stuff a kid could play with (Funko Reaction) many if not the majority of adult collectors trash the toy on every forum on the Internet because they look "too much like a toy a kid would play with". Ya think??? I think the Reaction Uni Monsters was on of the better selling monster toy lines in a long time and I think that was despite the adult collector trashing of the line. I think a lot of moms walked in Barnes & Noble or Walmart with their kid and when the kid wanted a Dracula action figure they bought it because it was $10 instead of $30-$60 and could actually be played with. I know this because I saw it happen multiple times (including with my own kids).

It would be cool if adult collectors remembered what got them interested in monsters in the first place (cheap but awesome stuff from the 60's -80's) and not trash monster toys that might actually appeal to younger kids).

I feel the same about the trash it before you've seen it take on new monster movies simply because they aren't exact remakes of the classics (but that's for another thread)

the_horror_man

Quote from: Remco Wolfman on July 15, 2017, 11:36:08 AM

I think one reason kids aren't rushing out to get monster toys is because there aren't many monster "toys".  There are adult collectibles every so often but even adult collectors note their "action figures" break if you touch them (My 8" Sideshow Wolfman's arm broke off when I tried to move it.)

When they do sell stuff a kid could play with (Funko Reaction) many if not the majority of adult collectors trash the toy on every forum on the Internet because they look "too much like a toy a kid would play with". Ya think??? I think the Reaction Uni Monsters was on of the better selling monster toy lines in a long time and I think that was despite the adult collector trashing of the line. I think a lot of moms walked in Barnes & Noble or Walmart with their kid and when the kid wanted a Dracula action figure they bought it because it was $10 instead of $30-$60 and could actually be played with. I know this because I saw it happen multiple times (including with my own kids).

It would be cool if adult collectors remembered what got them interested in monsters in the first place (cheap but awesome stuff from the 60's -80's) and not trash monster toys that might actually appeal to younger kids).

I feel the same about the trash it before you've seen it take on new monster movies simply because they aren't exact remakes of the classics (but that's for another thread)

Good points. Although the reaction figures are not for me, I never trashed them. I have also had a thought a time or two if they even make toys for kids anymore. Figures are getting more and more accurate as time goes on. They are more like works of art than toys.

thm

Anton Phibes

Have you seen how some of the younger set views some of our beloved films...? If its the first film in a series it gets a pass. If its B or is a sequel....its usually ridiculed, or gets a splat...or both. Sadly, classic monster mania is probably going to die with classic monster kids the same way The cowboys of the 40-50's died with those folks for the most part. Johnny Mack Brown, Gabby Hayes, Tom Mix.....long forgotten by most. the only reason folks remember Gene Autry or Roy Rogers is because of their Christmas Carols.

Have a peek:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/revenge_of_the_creature
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/creature_walks_among_us
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mummys_tomb
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wasp_woman_1959
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/house_of_frankenstein
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/brain_that_wouldnt_die

Palifan

Quote from: Remco Wolfman on July 15, 2017, 11:36:08 AM

These are all great points and I know with my kids that there is still an interest for the younger ones out there in monsters, especially around Halloween and I always build a little monster diorama for them to play with at this time.

The 1/12 toy line from Mezco has quite a following and I have a few figures from different genres but they really are aimed at the adult collector market and even though they sell well, if one type of figure has less interest then it becomes financially unviable to continue with it. I'm pretty sure that this has happened with the Judge Dredd line they did which I have, once they spun out all the color variants these all seemed to be sold at a discounted price to get rid of them through online shops that had supported the range. I imagine those said shops are going to be less likely to want any more in the future if they has struggled to break even on the first releases.

As with everything it's always hard to know what's going to sell and what will become a peg warmer. At least we did get one release in the monster genre and with some luck it won't be the last. There is a Mezco representative on here so hopefully he can give us some insight into what the future holds for these monster figures.

Ian

Mord

I like the accuracy of modern toys. I'm an adult now and prefer quality to "playability".  As a kid we did love "cheap but awesome stuff from the 60s - 80s". While I would definitely agree that the Reaction stuff was cheap though far from awesome. I'll take a well-sculpted (but expensive) figure any day over those cheesy Reaction or Pop figures. Maybe they don't break easily, but check out how the legs bow on a few of them due to the cheap plastic they use. Kudos to Mezco for at least giving us one masterpiece of a Frankenstein figure. I could have bought 6 Reactions for the same price, but I'm 100% satisfied with it (and that doesn't happen often).

the_horror_man

Quote from: Anton Phibes on July 15, 2017, 12:15:12 PM
Have you seen how some of the younger set views some of our beloved films...? If its the first film in a series it gets a pass. If its B or is a sequel....its usually ridiculed, or gets a splat...or both. Sadly, classic monster mania is probably going to die with classic monster kids the same way The cowboys of the 40-50's died with those folks for the most part. Johnny Mack Brown, Gabby Hayes, Tom Mix.....long forgotten by most. the only reason folks remember Gene Autry or Roy Rogers is because of their Christmas Carols.

Have a peek:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/revenge_of_the_creature
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/creature_walks_among_us
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mummys_tomb
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wasp_woman_1959
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/house_of_frankenstein
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/brain_that_wouldnt_die

Kid are used to these epic large than life cgi extravaganzas now. Anything that doesn't have this, usually gets a pass or unfavorable reviews. What is not even on their radar or being taken into consideration is that these monsters where brought to life in the 30's - 50's by hand. All man made. These films deserve the highest respect.

thm

Anton Phibes

You can still have a story with CGI extravaganzas thrown in. It just needs to be balanced. Perfect example of this is the new Planet of the Apes trilogy. CGI abounds....but its character and story driven. I think they are just as good and possibly (on some points) better than the original series of films. Universal should follow the new POTA formula.

Its amazing to me that the one character who seems to surpass time and ridicule seems to be Godzilla. Toho kept him in the public eye for his entire existence though. Thats probably why his stuff still sells. heck, he even recovered from that Matthew Broderick thing. :angel:

the_horror_man

Quote from: Anton Phibes on July 15, 2017, 12:32:25 PM
You can still have a story with CGI extravaganzas thrown in. It just needs to be balanced. Perfect example of this is the new Planet of the Apes trilogy. CGI abounds....but its character and story driven. I think they are just as good and possibly (on some points) better than the original series of films. Universal should follow the new POTA formula.

Its amazing to me that the one character who seems to surpass time and ridicule seems to be Godzilla. Toho kept him in the public eye for his entire existence though. Thats probably why his stuff still sells. heck, he even recovered from that Matthew Broderick thing. :angel:

Well, that's why Godzilla is called the king of monsters. ;D Big G is stronger than ever with the release of Shin Godzilla and the upcoming King kong vs Godzilla remake with the 2014 version Godzilla. Even though Shin Godzilla is TOHO and the 2014 is not, they both seem to have done well. I believe Shin Godzilla took all kinds of awards in Japan and seems loved by fans everywhere.

I loved Shin Godzilla, it is one of the best Godzilla films ever made. Imo, one of the best Kaiju films ever made. It returns to the feel that the original 1954 film had. Also, Big G's new look is fantastic. It is different and takes a more serious and terrifying take on the character. I did enjoy the 2014 Godzilla film. However, I was not that big on the Godzilla design. Also, I would have liked to have seen more Godzilla screen time.

I was thinking what if they did Shin Godzilla vs Kong instead of of the 2014 version. However, it might not be a good mix. I would imagine that Shin Godzilla would be undefeatable by another monster. Nothing can get near him due to his atomic fire power and laser beams. Also, he is so massive and slow moving. If they use the 2014 version, he has some agility and has more proportioned arms, so the fight with Kong might be more involved.

thm

Count Zachula

This very much saddens me, but maybe its to be expected?  Younger people really can't find much to be interested in with the old monster movies.  Its too "old" for them, and none of them probably grew up with their parents showing them these films.  Its just how nostalgia works. Their revival was in the 80's and 90's, but now the nostalgic thing IS the 80's and 90's.  I was hoping the new "Dark Universe" films would bring a new interest to the classic films but with that new Mummy movie being terrible, who knows if that'll happen and if they'll continue to remake the classics.  I'm 28, and no one of my age range likes the classic monsters.  I always had an interest in old stuff anyway.  They're only really popular among goths.  I just hope there's someway the monsters stay alive and relevant. 

Remco Wolfman

I think the monsters themselves are extremely relevant to kids, especially around Halloween. Almost all kids are into Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, Mummy etc. These kids have no clue they're "Universal Monsters" because Universal has engaged in the biggest marketing fail in history. Universal should own all merchandising from August - October. There are generic monster Pez dispensers, decorations, candy, cartoons, movies etc., etc. wall to wall during this period every year, just not Universal Monsters. For reasons not clear to me Universal has no interest in a perpetual cash cow from licensing en mass under reasonable licensing terms.

I think the success of Hotel Transylvania, Monster High and various other iterations of monsters show there is still a lot of interest from kids. It's just other's have jumped in to fill the massive void Universal insists on maintaining.

No, most kids don't want to watch a 1931 black & white flick and considering all the other options that's perfectly reasonable. I mean, their great, great grandparents were barely old enough to watch the theatrical release. From these kids point of view it's like listening to music on a phonograph. The more successful brands (Disney, Marvel, DC, Star Wars) have all stayed relevant with modern material based on the original awesomeness.

the_last_gunslinger

It's a shame that classic monsters run the risk of fading into obscurity. But that doesn't have to be their ultimate fate. I look at it like religion. You fail to instill in your children certain virtues, they're bound to grow up without them. I have a five year old niece and I've been doing my darndest to expose her to the classics. And it's working. She loves Frankenstein and is always asking me to bring up the website with the "monster rooms" so she can look at all the cool stuff. Just the other day, my brother was showing her the original Mummy and she sat entranced by it and already has a pretty decent grasp of what was going on.

My point is that it is up to each of us an individuals to make sure the Universal Monster legacy continues. It needn't die off if we don't let it.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed...

the_horror_man

I think it's not only kids. Seems like some adult collectors are getting away from collecting and selling their stuff off. Not only is the genre not being perpetuated by kids, but with some adults getting out of collecting from the genre. There will be even less chance to get new Universal Monster figures. Good thing we already have a lot and there are customizes who do great jobs on figures and models from the genre.

thm