Forry animatron (homebuilt) help...

Started by mike c, January 07, 2009, 03:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike c

I really had no idea which discussion group I should put this in. It's a bit of a tribute, fan art and a want ad in one.
At any rate, this is a prototype for the 'Uncle Forry' or perhaps 'Dr. Acula' animatron for my Halloween display this year. I make everything from scratch, except for the servos and the brass rods/threaded stock, etc. But the workings, design and all are mine.
The voice, of course, is Forry's, from an interview with the Geekson.com guys a few years ago. Just using it for testing.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v519/sclerismockrey/monsters/?action=view&current=MVI_0224.flv

Again, very early stages, but I'm asking if anyone has actual Halloween audio of Uncle Forry saying Happy Halloween or similar? Or can anyone direct me to good audio of him?

Don't wish to offend anyone, of course, (actually I think he'd enjoy it!) and I don't profit from my Halloween displays (I sell nothing, charge nothing, and spend a lot of dough every year just to have fun for everyone!)... I just really wanted to tribute Forrest for Halloween, and any audio file help anyone could give me would be gratefully accepted with a Halloween blessing upon your house for a generation.

Thanks for looking-

Mike C.

EDIT: will fix link in a sec... idiot me!

Scatter

UN..........FREEEEEAKING........BELIEVABLE.

No WAY Forry would be offended by this,and neither would anyone who knows a thing about him. Mike, that's just tremendous. Wish I could help with the audio, but alas I cannot.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Mike Scott

Really cool, Mike! I had to play it like 4 times! LOL

There's lots of interview clips of Forry on YouTube. Maybe you can find something there?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Gasport

VERY creative and obviously a labor of love on your part... I believe Forry himself once joked about being stuffed and put on display some day, so the man HAD to have a wicked sense of humor. Not only about all things monster related, but also his own mortality. Wish i could help w/the audio you're looking for. WONDERFUL JOB, and keep us posted on your progress. That's gonna be one KILLER display come Halloween... CONGRATS!

Cinemacabre

Holy Crap! Its fantastic and a wonderful tribute, Mike.
D'Entre les Morts,

Cinemacabre

raycastile

On my second visit to his house, I remember hearing Forry say something (jokingly) about an animatronic version of himself taking over the Ackermansion tours when he was gone.  If he were here to see this, I think he would probably suggest that skull as his replacement, allowing him to retire.
Raymond Castile

mike c

I'm so gratified (and humbled) by your comments, guys, thanks a bunch!
I've really only been working on this for the last few days, and need to use more sturdy substructure to remove some of that shaking (it should be smoother); of course, when he's done, he'll have his hawaiian shirt, Dracula cape and ring, sitting in a comfy chair holding court, telling a few short monster stories, etc. I'll have Dr. Acula every year!
Mike Scott, I am now looking at Youtube stuff to grab some audio, thanks for the suggestion (feel kinda lame it didn't occur to me before you mentioned it, hah!).
Ray, a very kind remark, thanks much. I'd love to think he'd enjoy this, and your comment reassures me.
Again, if anyone has an official "Happy Halloween" from Uncle Forry on audio somewhere, let me know.
I'll keep everyone up to date as I really get the project going over the next few months.

Mike C.

typhooforme

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind--the Old Gent would have LOVED this.  Heck, he IS loving it, wherever he is now--chuckling that unmistakable Forry chuckle.  Kudos to you for this loving tribute!
Robert in Ohio

"I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

gracebuster

LOVE IT!!!!

Man is that interesting. Love the last moment when it all stops and looks out.
VERY FORRYESQUE.

Congrats

Mike Scott

You could do a whole Disney-like "Hall of Monsters" thing, with various monsters spouting some movie dialog.
CREATURE FAN

mike c

Quote from: gracebuster on January 07, 2009, 05:19:55 PM
LOVE IT!!!!

Man is that interesting. Love the last moment when it all stops and looks out.
VERY FORRYESQUE.

Congrats

Thanks for catching that Dan, it's really nice to hear such things from people who saw him far more often than I did. I am trying to capture the feel of the man. As I get busy building the final figure, I want to improve the eyes, which are the truest indicators of emotion, and add moving eyelids, moving eyes, and a better eyebrow system. That way I can really capture some of Uncle Forry's mannerisms.

Mike C.

mike c

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 07, 2009, 05:27:54 PM
You could do a whole Disney-like "Hall of Monsters" thing, with various monsters spouting some movie dialog.

I've been pondering that for a long time, being the Halloween-year-round kinda guy I am... time, money and space are always the obstacles, right? BTW I read your comment to my wife and she growled 'Don't encourage him, please!'  ;D

Mike C.

Mike Scott

Quote from: mike c on January 07, 2009, 05:34:07 PM
I read your comment to my wife and she growled 'Don't encourage him, please!' 

That could be your biggest obstacle!?  ;)
CREATURE FAN

Toy Ranch

fmofmpls

Unbelievably cool! Best thing I've seen in a long time. Well done Mike! no question about it, 4E would have loved this big time! Keep on building my friend, and be sure to post updates!

The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.