Marvel Horror Movies???

Started by geezer butler, July 25, 2016, 01:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

horrorhunter

Quote from: geezer butler on July 03, 2018, 03:09:15 AM
Great post HH. I agree with you about using the Jack Palance Tomb of Dracula look. Lately, however, Marvel uses a totally different look for Dracula. You can find it through google search. It's actually kind of cool, but no match for the original imo.

Love that Legion of Monsters cover too. I have it in my collection for sure.
Thanks, geezer. Yeah, it seems kind of strange to mention the Silver Surfer with the Monsters, but he was well connected with Mephisto who is really The Devil in the classic Marvel Universe. Mephisto was the Surfer's main villain in his original 18 issue series. Mephisto first appeared in Silver Surfer #3 and he sent The Ghost (Van Stratten) after the Surfer in issues 8 and 9. I remember buying SS #9 off-the-rack back in the day and loving it. That issue and #12 with the Abomination are my two favorite SS issues. The Surfer even showed up in Tomb Of Dracula #50.

Bringing the Silver Surfer into current MCU continuity is a bit problematic since the Fantastic Four haven't been around because of ownership legality (hate that). Every Marvelite knows that the Surfer first showed up in FF #48 as herald to The Real Eater Of Worlds (not Bray Wyatt  :laugh:), Galactus. The Surfer ended up betraying the Big G and siding with the FF and the Earth. The movie dudes could just let the Surfer show up as he was in his own series and leave the origin kind of vague where the Surfer remembers his love Shalla Bal and Zenn-La but not much else. He would be imprisoned on Earth as he was in the comics with the barrier around the Earth being tied to his Power Cosmic and flaring up when he tried to soar into space. They could even finagle a way to introduce the FF into proper continuity if and when they get the rights to use them. Maybe the Ultimate Nullifier, or whatever cosmic doohickey, Reed Richards procured to get rid of Galactus actually had to alter reality to do so, and ended up changing reality to the point that the FF never actually were for a time until the space/time continuum righted itself. Suddenly they would appear and it would be as if they had been on Earth doing their thing (and Thing) since 1961. Only cosmically/mystically aware characters like Dr. Strange would be aware of the change. The movie folks have already mucked with altering reality in the last Avengers flick courtesy of Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet so it is a viable plot device. Or....it could be that Galactus could somehow tell that the Surfer had it in him to betray his master regarding Earth due to the Power Cosmic so he is essentially punishing SS for something he would have done, and the Big G plans to attack Earth in the future with a colder, more heartless, herald like maybe Firelord or Terrax.

Lots of possibilities, but I would like to see the Silver Surfer eventually brought into the storyline maybe 3 or 4 Marvel Monster movies down the road when Mephisto is finally introduced. Some great build-up flicks could precede with Moon Knight, Werewolf By Night, Doc Strange, Ghost Rider, Drac, the Frankenstein Monster, Man-Thing and the rest of the gang.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

zombiehorror

Ghost Rider is already part of the broader MCU on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. so not sure if they're interested in a cinematic incarnation; Hell was also shown and there was speculation that Mephisto would appear but I'm pretty sure he didn't.

horrorhunter

Mephisto was said to have been posing as Satan in those early appearances in the '70s. Later on it was written that Satan and Mephisto are two separate characters. Mephisto was even given another look as that of a fat ugly toad. I favor having Mephisto and Satan being the same character with Mephisto sometimes in the guise of Satan. As for his appearance I suppose a character like The Devil could appear any way he pleased, but if I were The Devil my primary appearance would be as John Buscema first drew him- the menacing looking personification of evil. The film suits would have to settle on the whole Mephisto/Satan issue as being separate entities or the same. And, I hope he would normally appear as the classic Buscema version.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Big Bad Wolf

Quote from: zombiehorror on July 03, 2018, 03:40:26 PM
Ghost Rider is already part of the broader MCU on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. so not sure if they're interested in a cinematic incarnation; Hell was also shown and there was speculation that Mephisto would appear but I'm pretty sure he didn't.

They did deliberately go with a later incarnation of Ghost Rider though, in the form of Robbie Reyes. They could easily do a cinematic Ghost Rider based on the original Johnny Blaze. If they want to, of course...
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

Robert W

zombiehorror

Quote from: Robert W on July 04, 2018, 07:29:58 PM
What about Howard the Duck?

He's already made an appearance in the MCU.

horrorhunter

Ghost Rider was important to the supernatural portion of the Marvel Universe. I would like to see the original Johnny Blaze version included in the MCU Monster continuity. Another possibility would be to go the Midnight Sons route with Dan Ketch(Ghost Rider)/Blaze/Vengeance. Either would be interesting, but I would favor going with a young Johnny Blaze as the original Ghost Rider. Maybe the cinematic storyline could evolve over a few films to introduce the Midnight Sons characters and storylines from the '90s.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

zombiehorror

I typed up a reply yesterday....I guess I forgot to hit "Post".

It would be cool to see Johnny Blaze cast properly and in a film set during the 70's/80's.  He did make an appearance in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but only in flaming skull form (and no name attached) as he past the "rider" on to Robbie Reyes.

https://youtu.be/bOzoy5UfkGA

horrorhunter

Quote from: zombiehorror on July 06, 2018, 12:09:58 AM
I typed up a reply yesterday....I guess I forgot to hit "Post".

It would be cool to see Johnny Blaze cast properly and in a film set during the 70's/80's.  He did make an appearance in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but only in flaming skull form (and no name attached) as he past the "rider" on to Robbie Reyes.

https://youtu.be/bOzoy5UfkGA
Yeah, I was watching Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for the Reyes GR appearances. But, since the TV shows are separate from the MCU they could introduce GR cinematically without having to worry about a conflict. Likewise, the older Ghost Rider movies wouldn't be an issue. BTW, while Nick Cage wasn't bad as Johnny Blaze he always struck me as being too old for the character. The Johnny Blaze from the Midnight Sons stories was obviously older, but when he first became GR Blaze was a young man. And, it would be nice if they cast someone as Johnny Blaze who actually resembles the way Mike Ploog drew him in the classic comics. Cage looked nothing like Blaze.

Yes, I agree that it would be even better if they set the first GR film in the '70s. Actually, I think all of the Marvel Horror Cinematic Universe films would be better set in the '70s, at least to begin with. That would keep them separate from the Superhero MCU until much later in the MHCU continuity when occasional limited crossovers might be fun (except for time-travel plotlines using magic). It would also give the Horror films a distinctive edge that would lend itself better to isolation and Horror- no internet and cell phones. The '70s setting should be no problem for multi-million dollar productions like these. Since the original comics came out in the '70s it would also stir the nostalgia for audiences and make the movies look more authentic to the source material.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

zombiehorror

Quote from: horrorhunter on July 06, 2018, 01:59:57 AM
Yeah, I was watching Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for the Reyes GR appearances. But, since the TV shows are separate from the MCU they could introduce GR cinematically without having to worry about a conflict.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Netflix shows are separate only in the fact that the characters don't make crossover appearances in the films but the events are all happening concurrently (present day for the most part) throughout these shows so the Ghost Rider from Agents onward is Reyes.

horrorhunter

Another good reason to set the Marvel Horror Cinematic Universe in the '70s is the lack of high powered heroes to call on to bring down a big bad like Dracula. Heroes like Moon Knight, Rachel Van Helsing, Quincy Harker, and Frank Drake, couldn't enlist the aid of The Avengers, for example, no matter how dire the situation, because the MCU Superheroes wouldn't be accessible yet. Also, the tech level for weapons was lower in the '70s, which would lend itself to a Horror mood much more readily. Just the lack of cell phones and the internet would be a big deal. The Horror genre needs a sense of desperation and hopelessness to be it's best. If just a touch of humor were used along with some serious Horror elements like fear of the unknown and actual death then this thing could fly. Must guard against optimism, however. No telling how it would really play out...if it ever gets off the ground that is.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

We know new Blade movie coming out. Doctor Strange sequel gonna be horror film too. Morbius movie on the way.

Ghost Rider and Helstorm (sic) shows coming to Hulu. Helstorm will be about Son of Satan and Satana (although it sounds like it's a revision and making characters less supernatural, maybe?)

Unclear if these tv shows will connect to MCU. I hope so.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/ghost-rider-gabriel-luna-hulu-series-1203202305/

geezer butler

Here's more on the WBN movie trailer that just dropped. I thought I saw Man Thing in the trailer, but could be wrong. I hope at some point these characters meet up with Blade, Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange and other Marvel horror icons. I doubt we'll see Morbius though. He's stuck in the Sony movie universe. Plus the film wasn't well received.

https://deadline.com/2022/09/marvel-werewolf-by-night-halloween-special-gael-garcia-bernal-laura-donnelly-premiere-date-trailer-1235114357/

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/werewolf-by-night-marvel-halloween-special-1235323888/

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/marvel-werewolf-by-night-trailer-man-thing-elsa-bloodstone-hidden-mcu-details/

Rex fury