Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!

Started by Hepcat, May 13, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wich2

Quote from: horrorhunter on January 26, 2017, 01:39:39 AM
Lido Prehistoric Animal Figures ... The top 10 were given away in Fritos boxed small bags in the late '60s.

HH, these little guys are some of the real treasures of my childhood! Mom got them with Friday groceries in the Fritos bags, and I still have my well-worn originals.

Best,
-Craig

horrorhunter

Quote from: Wich2 on January 27, 2017, 06:31:44 PM
HH, these little guys are some of the real treasures of my childhood! Mom got them with Friday groceries in the Fritos bags, and I still have my well-worn originals.

Best,
-Craig
Yes, they created special memories for many a Monsterkid/Dinokid. The Wheat/Rice Honeys giveaways were before my time (I was a baby in 1960), but, man I sure ate a LOT of Fritos in the '60s to get at those little dinos!  :laugh:  They still look good displayed with the collection too.  ;)

It's cool you held on to your originals, Craig.  8)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

I would have gone for those MPC Weird Monsters premiums in Fritos Corn Chips big time as a kid! I just have no memory whatsoever of that promotion. Maybe it was because the promotion required the purchase of a family-pack of Fritos and my spending horizon for chips and such didn't go much beyond a dime at a time. Or maybe the promotion just wasn't available in Canada. A collecting buddy of my age in Ottawa remembers buying family size bags of Fritos for other premiums but he has no recollection of the MPC Weird Monsters.

:-\

Names like Bony Tony, Few Manchew, Batty Bertha and Harry Scarey were certainly a lot more imaginative not to mention tongue-in-cheek than MPC's original monikers though!

:laugh:
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

I've probably seen that Fritos ad before, but it was cool to see it again. Love stuff like that!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on January 28, 2017, 06:13:36 PM
I would have gone for those MPC Weird Monsters as Fritos Corn Chips giveaways big time as a kid! I just have no memory whatsoever of that promotion. Maybe it was because the promotion required the purchase of a family-pack of Fritos and my spending horizon for chips and such didn't go much beyond a dime at a time. Or maybe the promotion just wasn't available in Canada. A collecting buddy of my age in Ottawa remembers buying family size bags of Fritos for other premiums but he has no recollection of the MPC Weird Monsters.

:-\

Names like Bony Tony, Few Manchew, Batty Bertha and Harry Scarey were certainly a lot more imaginative not to mention tongue-in-cheek than MPC's original monikers though!

I still have one of the original MPC Fritos Premium Monsters from kidhood. It's Harry Scarey in a light purple shade. I didn't go wild on the monsters the way I did the Lido dinos because I still had multiples of all the monsters from a few years before. I must have bought a lot of those carded Unbreakable Weird Monsters sets. I wish one of those carded examples had been temporarily lost in a box somehow to be found in the present. Who knew back then something like that would be so sought after.  :o

You can see that Harry Scarey on my MPC Monsters shelf if you squint (enlarging the pic helps).

He's just to the right of the Yellow Pop-Top Witch with the Purple head.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Classic Warren ad for the Verne Langdon Zombie Mask:

It made the cover of the Creepy 1972 Annual (net pic, my copy is nice  ;)).

I have the Kelly Mann reissue from 2002. Mine is #15/30.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Classic Fright Factory ad from the back covers of some of our favorite comics:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

It's no wonder the Aurora monster model kits were a smash hit with youngsters. Check out these ads that appeared on the back of DC comics that hit the newstands on these respective dates:

September 1963

January 1964

September 1964

December 1964

August 1965

Combined with the fabulous box art by James Bama, young fellows didn't stand a chance of resisting these kits on store shelves!

;)

Hepcat

Here's a picture of the incredibly cool Famous Monsters Speak LP:

thrhrt

Wich2

My Li'l Dinos: Frito/Lidos and others, some from my kidhood, some added later -

Wich2

And here's a 1970 Aurora Glow ad that I saw in a comic I was reading this weekend. I think it's the one that sent me to Bargain City back then:

horrorhunter

Quote from: Wich2 on February 01, 2017, 12:09:36 AM

Nice!

The little Triceratops in front and the Bronto off to the right are Timmee Minis. Here's a carded set I picked up a few months ago.

The Pterodactyl might be a Timmee with a broken tail (labelled as a "Pteranodon" on the card). It could be a small Ajax instead, they are very similar and it's a little hard to tell by the pic.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: Wich2 on February 01, 2017, 12:09:36 AM

I like the savanna on which your dinos dwell!