Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!

Started by Hepcat, May 13, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

One of my very favourite Beistle Halloween decorations:

tynhrt
Collecting! It's what I do!

skully

Hi Hepcat.  After seeing the first page of this thread talking about the original art of the Creature and Mummy which, Monster Bob was correct, I remember seeing it on e-bay also, and then talking with you about The Confederate Raider, well, these pictures are for you--enjoy.   :)

Hepcat

Quote from: Mike Scott on October 22, 2016, 08:48:15 PMMr. U sure changes friends a lot!

Mr. Ugly isn't known for keeping friends for long. All things considered that doesn't surprise me at all.

cl:)

Hepcat

Quote from: skully on October 21, 2016, 04:40:30 PMI don't think Bama did the Go-cart or the Thronester, and the monster colors, I'm not sure.

Interesting. I have this book by Brian M. Kane:

Kane writes that James Bama did 23 illustrations for Aurora but doesn't list them. Evidently Bama was quite the Universal monster movie fan himself and loved doing the paintings initially. He became disenchanted at the time Aurora went to the monsters in rods and his agent had to resort to sneaking additional Aurora assignments into his "to do" pile.

I think the Mummy's Chariot is drawn with far too fine a line to be James Bama's work, and I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that King Kong's Thronester was not Bama's work either.

:-\

Hepcat

Quote from: skully on October 25, 2016, 02:40:10 AMAfter seeing the first page of this thread talking about the original art of the Creature and Mummy which, Monster Bob was correct, I remember seeing it on e-bay also, and then talking with you about The Confederate Raider, well, these pictures are for you--enjoy.   :)

Wow! Boss cool!

8)

But!!!!  Is that Jo Kotula holding the picture or is that you?  If it's the latter, can we assume that you own the picture? If so, what's the story behind you acquiring the picture?

???

Hepcat

Seasonal magazine covers from my collection, front and back:

8)

skully

Hi Hepcat.  Sorry it took so long to reply.  Yes, that's me holding the original art by Kotula for the Aurora model kit.  I came across this piece quite a few years ago, from a fellow collector and dealer at the time where I was doing massive trade deals with him for original art for my kits. He actually went to see Mr. Kotula, who had this piece in his posession hanging on one of his walls. Actually, it was the only piece that Mr. Kotula actually kept, must have been his favorite. After this very piece was purchased from Mr. Kotula, a few weeks later he passed. I hammered out a deal and aquired the painting. It surely wasn't cheap, but there is obvious Aurora history behind this painting.

Hepcat

Quote from: skully on October 26, 2016, 05:55:02 AMIt surely wasn't cheap, but there is obvious Aurora history behind this painting.

Well worth it whatever price you paid!

8)

Quote from: skully on October 26, 2016, 05:55:02 AMYes, that's me holding the original art by Kotula for the Aurora model kit.  I came across this piece quite a few years ago, from a fellow collector and dealer at the time where I was doing massive trade deals with him for original art for my kits.

I've long had the impression that you have a lot of super cool items in your collection. I don't remember you ever posting pictures of your collection in the Monster Room thread:

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=106.0

Am I wrong? Have you posted pictures of your collection someplace?

???

skully

Hi Hepcat.  I posted a few pictures with the help of my son (he has the camera and know-how with these things), I posted pictures of the Monster candy bag, and a few other pictures. I have other pieces of original art, that, sooner or later I'll post.  I will share pictures of things, but as I mentioned in an earlier post somewhere a while back, I have to work around my son's schedule because he would be the one doing the computer work with posting for me. Be patient with me, and I guarantee you'll be "wowed"!!

Hepcat

Hepcat

The Ben Cooper Astro Spook Halloween costume is among the most storied Halloween costumes of them all, particularly among us UMAers!

Here's a boxed one from Raycastile's collection:

And here are pictures of the one from the fabled collection of Freddie Poe:

tynhrt

skully

Great.  Have to run right now, maybe later on tonight I'll post a subject about a particular monster toy that I saw in the "famous" guitarists book on monsters. I've long had a concern about this toy being legit, I'll post here later.

skully

Hepcat

Quote from: Hepcat on October 25, 2016, 05:54:28 PMBrian M. Kane writes that James Bama did 23 illustrations for Aurora but doesn't list them. Evidently Bama was quite the Universal monster movie fan himself and loved doing the paintings initially. He became disenchanted at the time Aurora went to the monsters in rods and his agent had to resort to sneaking additional Aurora assignments into his "to do" pile.

I think the Mummy's Chariot is drawn with far too fine a line to be James Bama's work, and I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that King Kong's Thronester was not Bama's work either.

I posted this list of the Aurora monster model kits for which James Bama did the box art over four years ago but I no longer remember where I got it:

Frankenstein
Dracula
Wolf Man
Creature
Mummy
Phantom of the Opera
Customizing Monster Kit
Customizing Monster Kit Featuring the Vulture & Mad Dog
Godzilla
King Kong
Bride of Frankenstein
Witch