What is your least favorite monster toy collectible or genre?

Started by Rockshasa, February 27, 2016, 05:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on February 27, 2016, 08:10:34 PMMonster High

That's cheating! Give us a real pick.

C:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

zombiehorror

Toyline; Monster-Niks.  The original "cutesy" monster toy.  Why?  Just why?

Genre; Kaiju and all of its collectibles.

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: Hepcat on February 29, 2016, 02:22:15 PM
That's cheating! Give us a real pick.

C:)
Okay, well I'm fine with the Vinyl Pops and some cartoony stuff. But I hate the stuff from the mid nineties that didn't have any actor likenesses. I also dislike when they try to market them in new areas. Like really little kids or Doritos. Seems like they're just embarrassing themselves. Oh wait, that's impossible.
Anyways, for example: this is good

but this is bad

LundyAfterMidnight

I can't say  I "hate" anything, but there's dozens I wouldn't pay a red cent for.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Rockshasa

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on February 29, 2016, 04:44:52 PM

Well, that's very cool. I didn't know about that book.
I have this one in my monster toy collection. I bought this book back in the 2nd grade in a school book club:

Mord

Hepcat

Quote from: raycastile on February 28, 2016, 12:26:36 AM...I don't like monster toys that are primarily printed cardboard (like a lot of classic 1960s items)..... But I don't care for games, dart boards, paint sets, puzzles, etc. I don't like activity toys, where the only monster element is the package artwork.

Being an early to mid-sixties monster kid, I love those cardboard items. The board games, paint sets, wallets, bubble gum cards, etc, they're all right in my collecting wheelhouse!

Quote from: raycastile on February 28, 2016, 12:26:36 AMI've always been a figural toy guy. I like three-dimensional representations of characters.  I like dollies.... Probably because I'm a 70s/80s monster kid, growing up in a time when "action" toys were very much the norm.

Having grown up before 1970,  the dollies all leave me completely unimpressed. I just have no interest in the AHI, Lincoln and whatever other doll or action figures that were released after the sixties.

;D

Rockshasa

Quote from: Hepcat on March 01, 2016, 05:21:11 PMHaving grown up before 1970,  the dollies all leave me completely unimpressed. I just have no interest in the AHI, Lincoln and whatever other doll or action figures that were released after the sixties.

Well, I was 7 in 1970. So being a child of both the late 1960's - early 1970's, on the very rare occasion (and I do mean rare), I sometimes breakdown and have bought "dolly" type figures in the past. But I do love the 1960's toys. Most of them are my favorites. Go here and peruse through these Christmas catalogs and drool over all of the cool toys from way back when...

http://www.wishbookweb.com

ZeMastor

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention... maybe 10 years ago, I was at Tower Records, and they had a toy section. There was this horror line by McFarlane toys that was really, really disgusting. It had highly detailed figures, but they were grotesquely and too realistically mutilated. It almost hurt to look at them. Definitely not for kids. Those were for adult collectors who had a much stronger stomach than I did.

Check out my Miniatures, Crafts and Toy blog at:
http://www.zemastor.blogspot.com

My Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/17151893(*at*)N06/

Gory Glenn

I'd have to say of the vintage stuff I don't like the Lincoln figures at all. Just god awful looking. Of the modern stuff I can't stand the Funco Pop figures either.

Wicked Lester

Quite a few I don't care for that have already been mentioned. I LOATHE the "funny" monster cards like Monster Laffs ,You'll die laughing etc. HATE monster Niks and most cutsie monster stuff.
I can't count in Monster High because those are marketed to young girls(not us) and if that makes them want to watch at least one classic,so be it.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Wicked Lester on March 02, 2016, 12:27:32 AM
I LOATHE the "funny" monster cards like Monster Laffs ,You'll die laughing etc.

Did you also hate Famous Monsters and Shock Theater?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Rockshasa

Quote from: ZeMastor on March 01, 2016, 11:44:32 PMThere was this horror line by McFarlane toys that was really, really disgusting. It had highly detailed figures, but they were grotesquely and too realistically mutilated.

Ahhhh, the Tortured Souls. Two series of them - the first wave hit in 2001. I loved those toys..."beautiful toys for ugly children" is what I call them. They looked great alongside the Hellraiser figures. Now, I absolutely hated the Hellraiser movies, but the toys were totally rad. I bought all of those things, and a couple of the larger format Tortured Souls as well. Those toys were without a doubt, hands down, the most gruesome toys ever to hit mass market. I really miss the days when McFarlane was doing monsters, and no, I have zero interest in his Walking Dead stuff. Walking Dead doesn't interest me at all. In fact, I can't think of any modern day TV horror shows that I like...I think X-Flies might have been the last one I watched.

Witchfinder

Quote from: Rockshasa on February 27, 2016, 05:57:22 PM
You know...the toys that you look at and cannot understand why anyone would collect them? It has to be monster toy though - so don't say "superheroes" or "robots". etc. Soooo, the one sub-genre of monster toys that I just don't get are: the Mego-style figures. For the life of me, I just can't get into monster toys with Barbie-doll type clothing wrapped around them. Some of the really big Sideshow pieces produced many years ago do look nice. I own the London After Midnight and Frankenstein, and at that large scale they did manage to make the clothes fit nice and snug (and scale-like). But IMHO, the smaller 8" figures just look goofy with clothing, AND those massive and obvious joints look horrible. Usually, the only thing I find appealing about them is just the head sculpt, and that's about it.

Oh, and Godzilla toys. I don't know why, but I hate that monster...along with all of his films.

So, no arguments here. Just spout your monster toy pet peeve...

Since we are in the vintage section of the forum, I just never cared for monster jigglers. They always looked and felt cheap. Sort of like how I also feel about 8 inch action figures of the Mego style. They always feel very fragile and cheap when you've got them in your hands. I also prefer the 12" figures.

Hepcat

Quote from: Wicked Lester on March 02, 2016, 12:27:32 AMI can't count in Monster High because those are marketed to young girls(not us) and if that makes them want to watch at least one classic,so be it.

That's a large part of the reason why Monster High stuff bothers me not at all either. It's girl stuff!

Quote from: Rockshasa on March 02, 2016, 12:56:17 AM...I have zero interest in his Walking Dead stuff. Walking Dead doesn't interest me at all.

I'm with you there. I have no interest in Walking Dead items, or any zombie stuff from the last 25 years for that matter.

cl:)