Help needed with vintage Aurora kits.

Started by StyreneDude, October 25, 2015, 04:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scatter

Quote from: Wich2 on October 25, 2015, 03:01:30 PM
Testor's first, Pactra second. (And I expanded the color range with lots of mixing.)

Here's a Superman I restored a few years ago, and painted "as if back in the day":

Wicked!! We used ONLY Testors......cuz that's all they sold at Mayo's Drugs in the 70s.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: Jim Bertges on October 25, 2015, 05:45:35 PMOne thing to keep in mind when painting the kits like we did back in the olden days is that whenever possible appropriately colored plastic went unpainted. The black of the Phantom's and Dracula's clothing was left alone and I'm sure in some cases the metallic green of the Creature was unpainted as well.

Yes, yes, very true!

8)

BigShadow

I love using Testos paint when completing these models.  It's all i need along with my Xacto Knife and tube glue.  I've used acrylic paints before, and even took a model building class to brush up my skills.  But at the end of the day I like to finish these kits like I did when I was a kid...fun, easy, and with not a care in the world how they looked to anyone but me!
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

Hepcat

Quote from: Mcdee on October 25, 2015, 06:47:39 PMI used Humbrol all the time...little paint cans were easy to open with  a dime....

My local convenience store, Les' Variety, from which I bought hundreds of packs of cards, dozens of comics and perhaps a dozen model kits over the years, carried Humbrol in the little cans. I thought the cans were a bit strange though and Testors in the little jars was my paint of choice. Testors was carried just about everywhere else including Tuckey Hardware just another block away. Tuckey's was the go-to location for model kits in my neighbourhood although I don't remember Tuckey's carrying the Aurora monster model kits. Tuckey's though was where I bought the Revell "Big Daddy" Roth Mysterion kit.

:)

Hepcat

Quote from: StyreneDude on October 25, 2015, 04:04:22 AMI want to paint up a set of Aurora monsters to look exactly how they would have been finished by a kid in the 1960's, using only the gloss enamel paint colors that were available at that time.

So how did your project turn out?

???

Hepcat

Quote from: BigShadow on December 21, 2020, 12:12:23 AMBut at the end of the day I like to finish these kits like I did when I was a kid...fun, easy, and with not a care in the world how they looked to anyone but me!

That's what it's all about! Too often today's stratospheric prices for vintage model kits and other kids' stuff make us forget that we're still really dealing with kids' stuff.

:)

BigShadow

I started working on "The animal Pit" Monster Scene last night using only my small Testors paint bottles.  I had a cold beer, a classic monster movie, and not a care in the world.  There's two smells that take me back to my childhood: the pulp paper smell of comic books and Testors paints. 
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

tv horror

I painted my Wolfman with liquid brown shoe polish and that was back in the mid sixties and he still has a shiny coat. However as I live in Ireland I used the little bottles of paint for my other models I think that they were Revel?
A limerick a day keeps the Baron at bay

Hepcat

Quote from: tv horror on April 16, 2021, 11:39:45 PMHowever as I live in Ireland I used the little bottles of paint for my other models I think that they were Revel?

Like these?

???