Universal Monsters VHS Artworks

Started by crissrudd4554, November 18, 2014, 04:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crissrudd4554

I guess I'm part of a small minority who actually likes '43 Phantom. I just watched it in its entirety last weekend and still am quite fond of it. Yes it will forever live in the shadow of its iconic predecessor but its still a good film. I think if they had gone with the idea of the Phantom being the father it would have been a better film. I do think its a shame that Phantom is the only film in the new set without any additional films. Why not include The Climax or something? Afterall that was originally conceived as a sequel to '43 Phantom and I think if She-Wolf of London is included with the Wolf Man films than Climax should be with Phantom. Or even better just package '25 and '43 Phantom together! If Warner Bros. are willing to package public domain adaptations of Oz with the '39 Wizard of Oz why can't Universal do the same with Phantom. Yes I know they're two different studios but I'm just saying.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on February 01, 2015, 02:06:18 AM
No, my brother made a homemade set using the big box for the masters.

You've got the movie then, so that's good.

A MEET THE MONSTERS box would be cool, but I've already got the big box, so I probably wouldn't get it.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mord

Absolutely, Criss, that's what all of us have been asking. These cheap horror DVD sets with 50 movies for ten bucks include the Chaney Phantom, why can't the original studio do that. I understand if the cheapskates don't want to spend the money to fully restore it, but at least include a crappy print as an extra or something. It just makes the Universal sets seem incomplete.

zombiehorror

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 01, 2015, 02:25:24 AM
You've got the movie then, so that's good.

A MEET THE MONSTERS box would be cool, but I've already got the big box, so I probably wouldn't get it.

You can't go wrong with the A&C Complete Universal Collection, only $62+free shipping from Amazon.  It's a great package.

crissrudd4554

Quote from: Mord on February 01, 2015, 02:28:47 AM
Absolutely, Criss, that's what all of us have been asking. These cheap horror DVD sets with 50 movies for ten bucks include the Chaney Phantom, why can't the original studio do that. I understand if the cheapskates don't want to spend the money to fully restore it, but at least include a crappy print as an extra or something. It just makes the Universal sets seem incomplete.

Especially if they're willing to include snippets of it in the documentary that support the '43 Phantom and include photos from it inside the booklet that accompanies the BluRay set and the new DVD set!!

Mord

YES! You see the doc & photos and you KNOW something's missing.

crissrudd4554

I was always a bit puzzled by this cover. Note the redone Classic Collection banner? Was this released before the other reissues which have the Classic Monster Collection banner? Was Universal thinking of revamping the CC but with the poster arts? It should be noted this tape was reissued with the CMC banner.

aura of foreboding

I bought that Mummy VHS for that very reason.  And I am just as confused by it as you are. 

Mord

It looks like the art used for The Mummy laserdisc (late eighties). It may be from around that time.

crissrudd4554

No I have the tape shown above. It's from 1999. Anyways for whatever reason I'm glad they changed the banner. I like to think those brilliant VHS artworks from the early 90s are synonymous with the Classic Collection label.

Mike Scott

1999 was the first DVD release and the new '99 VHS set had the same movie one sheet box art. Don't know why the Mummy VHS was different? The Mummy DVD had the same banner as the others.
CREATURE FAN

crissrudd4554

Yes its very strange especially because there is one with the same banner as the DVD. Since the cover I showed before was the only tape as far as I know with that alternate Classic Collection banner, I say that this one came out second. I have the one I posted before however which does say 1999.

Mike Scott

Quote from: crissrudd4554 on February 01, 2015, 08:41:03 PM
Yes its very strange especially because there is one with the same banner as the DVD.

I imagine it will forever remain a mystery!
CREATURE FAN

crissrudd4554

The pics are being difficult again. Here I've uploaded them again albeit smaller. Hopefully these won't be as defective. At the bottom is a link to view them at their full resolution.

Frankenstein (1931)

Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)

Island of Lost Souls (1932)

The Invisible Man (1933)

The Black Cat (1934)

Werewolf of London (1935)

The Raven (1935)

Dracula's Daughter (1936)

Son of Frankenstein (1939)

The Invisible Man Returns (1940)

The Invisible Woman (1940)

Black Friday (1940)

The Black Cat (1941)

The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)

Invisible Agent (1942)

The Mummy's Tomb (1942)

Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man (1943)

Son of Dracula (1943)

The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944)

The Mummy's Ghost (1944)

House of Frankenstein (1944)

The Mummy's Curse (1944)

House of Dracula (1945)

She-Wolf of London (1946)

Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein (1948)

Abbott & Costello meet the Invisible Man (1951)

The Strange Door (1951)

The Black Castle (1952)

Abbott & Costello meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1953)

Revenge of the Creature (1955)

Abbott & Costello meet the Mummy (1955)

The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)

Paranoiac (1963)

Kiss of the Vampire (1963)

The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E69F04610C8FE58E%21109

Mord

I would love to have every square inch of my walls covered with these. Fantastic!