Horror Movie Hosts

Started by Tick-Tock, July 01, 2014, 03:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

Cool! Hey, it's the censored version of the album cover. I remember his thumb was sticking out in the middle & parents complained thinking it was his penis so Warner Bros blacked it out.

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on July 02, 2014, 11:41:01 PM
Cool! Hey, it's the censored version of the album cover. I remember his thumb was sticking out in the middle & parents complained thinking it was his penis so Warner Bros blacked it out.

;D ;D
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

RedKing

Hell yeah! Alice is my favorite singer ever! Has been since I was about 6 years old thanks to my uncle who is only 8 years older than me. I wish Warners would release the feature length special The Nightmare on dvd oe brd. This was basically the entire Welcome to my Nightmare album plus Ballad of Dwight Frye with Vincent Price as the master of the nightmare tormenting ALice throughout.
Crazy am I? We'll see if I'm crazy or not!

Scary Terry

My local host as Dr. Igor, who, with his hunchback pal, Plasma, hosted CHILLER THEATER on WQAD, the ABC affiliate out of Moline IL. Early-md 1960s. No footage exists....
Scary Terry
www.terrybeatty.blogspot.com

BrotherD

Quote from: horrorhunter on July 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
RK, you're a dude after my own heart. I love all of those hosts as well. I have seasons 2-8 of Penny Dreadful's Shilling Shockers on DVD (season 1 has been OOP forever but you can buy those episodes singly), and I'm a fan club member being a properly loyal Dreary One. So sorry to hear about Magoo's passing. I also love Zach's Horrible Horror and wore out my VHS copy long ago. I was stoked when it was rereleased on DVD with all that extra content. Anyone who likes Zacherley needs this DVD.

I first discovered Zacherley through that VHS tape! It was given to me as a gift one Christmas, and I had no idea what it was or who the guy in the make-up was supposed to be. As soon as I put it in the VCR, though, I was enchanted! I watched it MANY times over the years, and was quick to snatch it up on DVD when it was released on disc!
I podcast, therefore I am . . .
Monster Kid Radio - http://www.monsterkidradio.net
1951 Down Place - http://www.1951downplace.com

horrorhunter

Quote from: BrotherD on July 03, 2014, 12:31:55 PM
I first discovered Zacherley through that VHS tape! It was given to me as a gift one Christmas, and I had no idea what it was or who the guy in the make-up was supposed to be. As soon as I put it in the VCR, though, I was enchanted! I watched it MANY times over the years, and was quick to snatch it up on DVD when it was released on disc!
A few years ago I traded some horror host DVDs with another collector and obtained a good DVD burn of the old Horrible Horror VHS. And, I of course jumped on the expanded DVD when it came out. It turns out there are still bits on the old original that never made it into the new expanded DVD. So, if you want every iota of Zach Horrible Horror goodness you actually need both. It's only a couple of short bits that didn't make it into the new one, and I don't even remember exactly what they were without re-watching, but I saw the original so much back in the day I memorized parts of it and noticed their absence when I watched the new version.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Ormsby

I didn't have a host on TV when I was growing up on Long Island in the 1970s and early 1980s. We had Chiller Theatre, that had the six fingered clay animated hand reaching up from a swamp, but no host. My Mother was a fan of Zacherley when he arrived in New York in the late 1950s, and I grew up hearing stories about him and listening to her "Spook Along With Zacherley" LP. I finally got to see him in action in the early 1980s when Channel 9 aired him hosting Gorilla At Large in 3D. Then Good Times Home Video came out with his Horrible Horror VHS, and I wore it out watching it (had to buy two backups). He was my inspiration to become a horror host myself. I met him a few times at the Chiller Theatre Expo, and he's a wonderful man.

Around the same time (around 1983) a UHF station out of Connecticut started airing Elvira's Movie Macabre on Saturday nights, with repeats (usually of the previous week's movie) on Sunday. I watch religiously every weekend until the station took the show off. Luckily, the video rental store in town had the series of VHS tapes she did the intros for (usually episodes of Hammer's House of Horror). I met her at Chiller too.

Today, Svengoolie from Chicago is on MeTV in my area and I watch every Saturday evening. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet, but I did a photo shoot dressed as him (with Clone #13 from my show as Sven's piano player Doug) to wish him a happy anniversary last month.

Ormsby
Ormsby's Cinema Insane
http://www.cinemainsane.com

Count_Zirock

Just learned that John Zacherley took a bit of a tumble in his apartment and had to go to the emergency room yesterday. No reports on anything being broken, and Chiller Theatre's Kevin Clement has passed along the word that the ER nurse said "John is doing good." Must be all those formaldehyde cocktails he's drank over the years!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Hepcat

There was no horror host on CFPL our local station in London when I was in grade school. With cable TV or a good quality roof top antenna, Shock Theatre with host Ghoulardi could be picked up on WJW from Cleveland:

Ghoulardi

cl:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

BigShadow

I don't remember any horror hosts on tv in my area other than Joe Bob Briggs.  I used to crave Monstervision all week until it came on, if I remember right, Saturday nights.  I grabbed my pop and usually had some pizzza and chips as I watch all the great movies all night.  I can't remember the times he was on, but I want to say 10pm-3am.  Just good memories of a time when the world didn't move so fast and my only responsibility was cleaning up my toys. 
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

horrorhunter

Quote from: BigShadow on July 05, 2014, 01:17:21 PM
I don't remember any horror hosts on tv in my area other than Joe Bob Briggs.  I used to crave Monstervision all week until it came on, if I remember right, Saturday nights.  I grabbed my pop and usually had some pizzza and chips as I watch all the great movies all night.  I can't remember the times he was on, but I want to say 10pm-3am.  Just good memories of a time when the world didn't move so fast and my only responsibility was cleaning up my toys.
Joe Bob is great! I enjoy all of his shtick, especially the Drive-In Totals and Honey The Mail Girl. He also did some fun DVD commentary tracks a few years back, The Double-D Avenger and I Spit On Your Grave (original) are classics. This guy is not only witty, he is exceptionally knowledgeable about monster and exploitation flicks. The all-nighter he did with the first few Friday The 13th movies is big fun.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

BaronLatos35

Count Gore de Vol.

I grew up watching him in the DC area, met him and still catch his show online.

I love Sven weekly, the Bone Jangler, Elvira, a Penny a Dreadful, Dr. Destruction among others.

I have about 75 DVDs with various hosts and movies. If anyone is interested in a trade I can email you my list. I'm always looking to add more to my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

Count_Zirock

I used to run "Joe Bob Goes to the Drive-In" and "Joe Bob's Advice to the Hopeless" in my college newspaper. For years, it was the only newspaper in New Jersey that carried Joe Bob (this was a decade before MonsterVision, mind you). Then, some South Jersey weekly started carrying it. Hard to believe no syndicate will carry the column anymore. I have all of his books, personally autographed.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Bizarro Jeff

Growing up in the 60s, WSYR out of Syracuse, NY had "Monster Movie Matinee" every Saturday at 1.....

the host was Dr. E. Nick Witty, who was never seen, except for a his hand...his assistant, Epow, was usually on screen, and was the typical mad scientist's assistant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iM-jVQ_EnI
Some things are better not seen, some things are better lost than found...

horrorhunter

Here is the original Horrible Horror hosted by Zacherley from the VHS put out by Goodtimes Video in 1986.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uad3vZqcg20
ALWAYS MONSTERING...