NON-MONSTER FORUMS TO BE CLOSED AND REMOVED ON APRIL 27TH

Started by Toy Ranch, April 21, 2014, 09:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wich2

Quote from: Scatter on April 23, 2014, 03:16:31 AM
Wow........I believe that this will be the only forum which I've ever encountered that didn't have a "General Discussion" section, or that felt that such a concession to well-rounded humanity detracted from the forum in toto.

To me, the greatest value of anything I collect resides not in the plastic, captured images, or monetary worth........but in the ability of that object to draw people into my life. Otherwise that's all it is....... A piece of plastic. A captured image. A potential dollar sign.

It takes 10 minutes of Googling to reveal everything known about whatever blow-molded treasure may excite us. What makes that beautiful bit of blow-molded goodness REALLY valuable lies in how it affects each individual. The memories it evokes. The story of how it became your passion. That's the only reason any of this stuff even matters. That's what forms those ties of friendship and that familial bond we've come to enjoy at the UMA. I hope we don't find in short order that we've lost touch with what is most valuable about being a MonsterKid......and that ain't the plastic.

Sometimes in a long thread, if you're very lucky, one post comes along that best gets to THE point. Gary just gave us that post.

-Craig

Anton Phibes

Quote from: jimm on April 23, 2014, 02:45:44 PM
I liked this place a bit more....

I enjoy and prefer coming to the UMA for monster news and to share monster news more than most sites.

But a question was asked....and I answered. There are other sites that talk about old toys and deviate from the primary purpose of the forum. Heck---Mego Forums even has a section to discuss nothing but Horror movies. If UMA is no longer anyone's cup of tea, there are always....alternatives. :angel:

jimm

True, but when they changed original Coke I didn't like that either  8)

Toy Ranch

Please continue making suggestions and posting threads to save. We had a thread for non-monster toys before, and we may keep that one. Other things like the Limericks will probably live on. We have a lot to think about and all of us have jobs or businesses and families and other interests, so please try to have a little patience and give things a chance to develop before taking everything to the most negative assumption you can conjure.

jimm

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

Flower

Quote from: Toy Ranch on April 23, 2014, 03:23:38 PM
Please continue making suggestions and posting threads to save.

Save our beasts .. err .. pet thread ... please.

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=845.450

A beast is a monster, is it not?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Wich2 on April 23, 2014, 02:31:50 PM
Sometimes in a long thread, if you're very lucky, one post comes along that best gets to THE point. Gary just gave us that post.

-Craig

You have made this same point, over and over and over for years on this forum.

I have personally lost out on $2000 - $3000 in sales, have put my mother off a bit on helping her as she recovers from surgery, and have missed time with family and friends JUST to address this single issue at the UMA, because I care.  Seriously, don't need any more lectures about "what it's about".

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Toy Ranch on April 23, 2014, 12:57:24 PM
We got some take out Chinese last night. My fortune:

I hope you played those numbers.

How about Halloween-related things that aren't strictly monster-related:  I was thinking of all the "cute" Halloween decorations, costumes, noisemakers, candy boxes decorated with trick-or-treaters, etc.  Think they might be included under the general heading of "Halloween" or "Monster Night"?

I know a kid in a pink bunny costume on Halloween isn't really intentionally horror-themed, but they ARE pretty horrible. 

Shudder...

(Seriously, play those numbers.)
ADAM

Flower

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on April 23, 2014, 05:28:16 PM
I hope you played those numbers.

How about Halloween-related things that aren't strictly monster-related:  I was thinking of all the "cute" Halloween decorations, costumes, noisemakers, candy boxes decorated with trick-or-treaters, etc.  Think they might be included under the general heading of "Halloween" or "Monster Night"?

I know a kid in a pink bunny costume on Halloween isn't really intentionally horror-themed, but they ARE pretty horrible. 

Shudder...

(Seriously, play those numbers.)

I agree about Halloween. 

To be honest... I've played fortune cookie numbers and didn't even get three right .. but what if you don't play them and they come in?  Hmmmmm ... good luck.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Hepcat

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on April 23, 2014, 05:28:16 PM

Shudder....

;D

Hepcat

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on April 23, 2014, 05:28:16 PMHow about Halloween-related things that aren't strictly monster-related:  I was thinking of all the "cute" Halloween decorations, costumes, noisemakers, candy boxes decorated with trick-or-treaters, etc.  Think they might be included under the general heading of "Halloween" or "Monster Night"?

Maybe a Halloween forum could be the answer....

:-\

Wich2

>You have made this same point, over and over and over for years on this forum.<

I did not just make that point, Gary did. And as nine folks saluted his thoughts with a "Like," I am evidently not alone is thinking his words were wise.

>Seriously, don't need any more lectures about "what it's about".<

And whenever a similar point has been made, no matter who made it or when, you have generally countered it with some defensive form of, "No, you are wrong - THIS is what it's about." Often you have taken that response to the level of not just disagreement, but personal insult. That is not Moderate.

But that all being said, Bobby:

Because I know that moderating is non-paying, can be hard work, and is often thankless, I say (and from the heart)  thank you, and all of the moderators over the years here at one of my favorite sites, for the time that you have invested.

-Craig