Monster Bash 2014

Started by BigShadow, January 29, 2014, 06:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stretchbaldy

I had a question for anyone who has attended this show before.... I was thinking about going and I wanted to know what the dealer room is usually like? Is there usually much vintage items for sale there? Movie posters, toys, models, etc?  Thank you! 

BigShadow

I haven't been to the new place but I was there in 2012 at the old hotel.  The dealer room was really small and had 90% posters and DVD's.  I was really disappointed at the lack of monster toys and collectables other than movies and posters.  I did however find some good deals on old magazines and a few newer toys. 

Can anyone elaborate on the new dealer room in 2013?
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

scarey1scd

Quote from: stretchbaldy on April 03, 2014, 04:46:31 AM
I had a question for anyone who has attended this show before.... I was thinking about going and I wanted to know what the dealer room is usually like? Is there usually much vintage items for sale there? Movie posters, toys, models, etc?  Thank you!
This will be the 2nd time in the new location. There are definitely an abundance of movies & posters, but I think you get a great variety of toys, classic and modern. If you don't find something to spend your money on, you weren't looking hard enough lol. Cant wait!!
Do you know where you are, Bartolome? I'll tell you where you are. You are about to enter Hell, Bartolome, HELL!...

frankenbill

At the last show I did find that they had alot more monster toys then posters,It's a very cool show

Pauspy

The dealer room at the new hotel is pretty big-there are a number of photos of it posted on the Creepy Classics website. Lots of video, posters (vintage and new), colectables, some kit-bashing, records, comics-all the good things!
Supernatural, perhaps; baloney, perhaps not.

BrotherD

This will be my first time at the Bash, and I CANNOT WAIT! I've heard the stories. I've seen the videos. I've listened to other podcasters talk about the Bash on their shows, and this year . . .

I'll be getting there early Friday afternoon, and it looks like I'll be there to the end on Sunday. (I'll be staying at a hotel down the street.)

Are there any pointers or tips any previous Bash goers would recommend? Food options in the area (I'm a vegetarian)? Are the guests pretty approachable? Anything I should NOT do? :)

And, of course, I'd love to meet any UMA-ers at the Bash, too, so if there's a secret handshake or something . . . :)

(I'll also have my portable recorder with me. There's no way I'll miss an opportunity to cover Monster Bash for Monster Kid Radio!)
I podcast, therefore I am . . .
Monster Kid Radio - http://www.monsterkidradio.net
1951 Down Place - http://www.1951downplace.com

BigShadow

Hey BrotherD,

I haven't been to the new venue yet, but I was at the old place 2 years ago.  My personal experience was very positive to say the least.  Everyone from the patrons to the guests were unbelievably friendly.  It's such a fun and inviting atmosphere, like one big family.  At the old venue the hotel bar was a great place to meet and talk to people, which I'm sure will be the case at this place.  I've heard this hotel has a great restaurant and bar as well, which I'm sure has vegetarian options. 

I also packed a cooler and kept it in my truck with some sandwiches and snacks.  I then brought them into the viewing area and ate while I watched the movies.  The only gripe I had was the lack of coffee or beverages near the viewing area.  I don't know if this changed at the new place, but I made a comment on here last year and someone said they would implement the idea.  If they did, I don't know. 

A good way to find fellow UMA'ers is to look out for the UMA t-shirt.  I was also thinking of setting up a meeting place maybe on Fri or Sat night near the bar to meet UMA members.  I'm going to post a picture of me next week so anyone who is going might recognize me and say "hi".  I'm also staying at the Super 8 down the road.

frankenbill

Any UMA menbers who are coming to the Bash,stop by and check out our Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein Tribute right at the front entrance across from the ticket table,The A&C tribute team will be there doing routines from the movie and also plenty of photo ops as there will be some props recreating McDougal's House Of Horror..Tony Pitocco and I will have life size figures of The FrankenStrange Monster,The Wolfman, and Tony's brand new Lugosi Dracula Sculpt on a life size figure

Monster Kid

Your fellow UMA'er Monster Kid will be there and will be giving a talk on German Expressionism in horror on Friday so it will be hard to miss me.  Unless I get stuck in West Virginia which is where I will be on a work related trip, my cohorts Mike Ramsey, David Hawk and Richard Hedges will all be Bashing!!

scarey1scd

One week from today! I am psyched. Im new here on UMA but this will be my 4th BASH. So basically, I wont know or recognize anyone so Im looking forward to meeting you guys. Is there anyone here that would have a "database" I could give my phone # to, so I can be kept in the loop?
Do you know where you are, Bartolome? I'll tell you where you are. You are about to enter Hell, Bartolome, HELL!...

thelatewinslowleach

I love this show, this will be my 8th(1) attendance, boy does time fly! I think everyone will feel right at home if you are from this board, it's totally about the Monster Kids who grew up in the classic FM/Shock Theater era. Dealer room is a good mix of things, and the vintage items are there when you look for them. The guests and fellow fans are friendly and approachable.
    The new Sheraton location has a good in house restaurant for meals, and it's on a raid with pretty much every chain restaurant available in Pennsylvania, and a great Giant Eagle grocery nearby for stocking your motel room. (Although I miss going to lunch every day at the great Country Kitchen Diner close by the old Butler location. We make it a point to go back to Mama Rosa's for one meal too.)
Here's some pics from previous shows: https://www.facebook.com/michael.joyner.940/media_set?set=a.10200348084367247.1073741827.1308897497&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/michael.joyner.940/media_set?set=a.3505993451073.2131686.1308897497&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/michael.joyner.940/media_set?set=a.1343821798133.2046269.1308897497&type=3
Stay Scared and arrive safe!   Michael
My music is for Phoenix. Only she can sing it. Anyone else who tries, dies.

Lonster

Are ya ready to BASH? Lots of prep work going on behind the scenes before the show. Then three days of nonstop Bash events (and sleep deprivation).

Don't forget to check out the Bash Boys on Friday night (with special performers including Mr. Arch Hall!!!)

A safe trip to all -- and Bash on!

-- Bob P.

BigShadow

I can't wait!  I'll be there all weekend, but on Friday look for a bald guy wearing the Universal Monster Army shirt.  Please come up and say hi and introduce yourself.  I love meeting new people, especially fellow monster lovers.  Friday and Saturday night you can probably find me at the bar around 11 or 12 pm.  Also, I'd recommend bringing a comfortable chair for the viewing area.  Can't wait to see you all there!  Here's a pic of me. 
IMG_2619 by joe92580, on Flickr

Pauspy

Bash is amazing!!! I have never founds the guests to be stand-offish; everyone is very friendly and happy to share their love of classic monster movies. The guests are all very approachable for photos, chats etc. One year Dawn Wells insisted she wanted to sit down with me for several minutes to talk about my cats-no problem dawn!!

I didn't realize there's a Giant Eagle close by, thanks for the tip winslowleach! The restaurant/pub in the hotel lobby has some quite good food at reasonable prices, and last year they had a breakfast buffet (lots of fruit, etc. for vegetarians too) that could fill you up for most of the day! They also set up a "quickie" stand if you only have time to grab a hot dog, salad, etc. in the few minutes between shows. There's also a couple of other chain places pretty close by (Bob Evans is one I think).

IMO there's no way to over-praise the Bash. It's everything a monster kid could could want, packed into three days. We're flying down on Thursday for the pre-Bash movies in the film room.

See everyone there!!!
Supernatural, perhaps; baloney, perhaps not.

Lonster

Spent a hot, sweaty Tuesday loading up vehicles. On Wednesday, the Monster Bash advance team will descend on the hotel. 

Again, safe travels to all. Be sure to check out the Bash Boys Friday night. There's non-stop programming all weekend. And, oh yeah, there's Bob's Bin of Bargains, too (along with a gazillion other dealers!).

-- Bob P.