Diamond Select is displaying a new figure at their SDCC booth.

Started by comixzombie, July 18, 2013, 10:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comixzombie

The boys around here call it "The Black Lagoon"; a paradise. Only they say nobody has ever come back to prove it.

Anton Phibes

Uhm---you and me both. i have no idea what that thing is supposed to be. :angel:

comixzombie

Do you suppose they could have just run out of characters they thought viable and just made up their own version of Van Helsing or some such nonsense?

Because that would be incredibly lame.
The boys around here call it "The Black Lagoon"; a paradise. Only they say nobody has ever come back to prove it.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: comixzombie on July 18, 2013, 11:16:11 PM
Do you suppose they could have just run out of characters they thought viable and just made up their own version of Van Helsing or some such nonsense?

Because that would be incredibly lame.

That would only happen if they didn't secure the Lugosi license...  Oh... wait...

comixzombie

Count_Zirock

Could that be somehow connected to either the "Van Helsing" reboot or the "Dracula" TV-series?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Count_Zirock on July 19, 2013, 12:00:14 AM
Could that be somehow connected to either the "Van Helsing" reboot or the "Dracula" TV-series?

It's not Van Helsing (2004).  And I don't think they would do anything for "Dracula" at this point, considering the show could be cancelled after ten episodes...

Count_Zirock

Quote from: aura of foreboding on July 19, 2013, 12:34:25 AMIt's not Van Helsing (2004).
No, I'm talking about the reboot that's supposed to star Tom Cruise. I know that hasn't even started filming yet, but, dammit, we're grasping at straws with this!

Count_Zirock

Quote from: comixzombie on July 18, 2013, 10:01:24 PM

My monster movie knowledge has completely failed me. :-[
Perhaps not. This could be any number of things. It could be from a comic book. It could be from a different toy line and got mixed in with the Universal figures. It could even be an original piece by one of the sculptors that's just on display for kicks, like the Christopher Lee as Dracula Quarter-scale Premium Format Figure that was seen back at Toy Fair.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Count_Zirock on July 19, 2013, 01:23:39 AM
No, I'm talking about the reboot that's supposed to star Tom Cruise. I know that hasn't even started filming yet, but, dammit, we're grasping at straws with this!

Ahhh...  Haven't heard much about that one.  As long as they make the monsters look like the monsters, and not some weird CGI creations...   ;)

Count_Zirock

The weird thing is, it looks a bit like Henry Hull.

cannibalchris

Thanks to my website I get the pleasure of talking with a representative of DST from time to time.  He confirmed that it is infact an original Van Helsing design.  He will be released in the 2014 wave which I think will be one of my favorite of the series they've put out.  The new Creature sculpt looks great and is so much better than the earlier version.  I've also always had a soft spot for the way the Monster looked in SOF.  Personally, I like the look of their Van Helsing, I also love the base!  I wasn't crazy about their Lugosi-less Dracula, but to be fair I also never got around to purchasing it so my opinion might change once I had it in my hands.

I like what they're doing with the license, the new Wolf Man bank looks great.  I really hope we get a Kharis before all is said and done.

Mike Scott

Thanks for solving the mystery, Chris and welcome to the UMA!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

aura of foreboding

Yes, thank you! 

I think the figure looks like a lot of fun, and I would definitely buy it on its own, but I'm not sure about the decision to include it with the Universal Monsters line...  It sets a dangerous precedent, imo.  I know that I, personally, would have loved a Van Sloan /Gloria Holden two-pack.  It's kind of sad that they had to make up their own versions of the characters in order to continue the line...  No, it's really sad.  I know Sideshow would never have done such a thing.  (Yes, I know DST is not Sideshow, but still...) It's changing history.  Why not put out a Werewolf of London, a Kharis, a Son of Dracula?  I want the SoF and the new Creature badly, but am I willing to accept a Van Sloan replacement simply because his Van Helsing isn't cool enough?  I'd be okay with it if DST decided to make a spin-off line inspired by the Universal classics.  That would be so awesome.  But, to be included in a film-accurate line?  Let's hope, if that figure is planned as part of Wave 5, that it is replaced by Kharis or Dracula's Daughter...  Some character who actually existed in the Universal lineup. 

Mord

So I guess we can see what the Chaney lawsuit has done. I have no interest in "original" interpretations of classic characters. It's not really a bad thing...it will save me a lot of stress and money not having to chase down the next line. I guess I'm done with DST (they never were Sideshow to begin with).