With all due respect to Diamond Select, they miss the mark on their figures

Started by ucs1923, June 28, 2013, 05:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ucs1923

Hi Everyone,

I am new here.  I absolutely love the universal monsters, and I mean no disrespect to anyone who likes or has Diamond Select monster figures.  I just think that with the Wolfman, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Phantom of the Opera, is it close, but no cigar, unlike Sideshow, who's sculpts were flawless in my opinion.  Dracula, is definitely flawed for DS. 

I just look at The Wolf Man, and I think it's his facial expression that ruins the sculpt.  Had he had a typical Wolf Man expression, then I believe the figure would have hit the mark.  Look at the DS Wolf Man Bust Banks, or Frankenstein, ABSOLUTELY flawless!!   Had only they used these sculpt for their figure.

Frankenstein and The Mummy, just misses mark, though they probably more closely resemble Karloff than The Wolf Man resembled Chaney Jr.  I can see Karloff slightly in Frankenstein, but he is not very apparent in The Mummy.  In fact, I think the Jakks Pacific Frankenstein and The Wolf Man resemble Karloff and Chaney Jr. more so than the Diamond Selects. 

The Creature from the Black Lagoon is flawless though for Diamond Select!  Had only Diamond Select used the sculpts from their bust banks, then they would have hit the mark!

Any one else agree with me, or disagree, I'd love to hear your thoughts.  What about Jakks Pacific Frankenstein and The Wolfman vs. DS?? 

Mord

I think Sideshow has spoiled all of us. Before Sideshow, the Diamond figures would have been the most valued Universal figures around. I agree with most of your observations but I also think that Diamond is doing things that Sideshow didn't (the Phantom with his organ, the Mutant with the interociter, the Creature with Kay etc.). I really don't think we will ever have products of the caliber Sideshow produced, but that is no reason to pass on all the wonderful figures Diamond makes (hey, Sideshow never did a Karloff Jekyll and Hyde). You could even mix it up a little (replace the Diamond Creature with Sideshow's on the base with Kay etc.). I enjoy their stuff much more than the highly stylized Mezco stuff. BTW, I too am a big fan of the Jakks figures. I only wish they had continued the line.

Mike Scott

Welcome, ucs1923 !

Like somebody probably said once, "You can't please all of the people all of the time."  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

marsattacks666

I think with both companies, it is apples and oranges?  Sideshow is the company that put Uni in the Universal Monster line. Diamond Select, with their sculpts, may have a more genetic look? Still...Diamond Select is just as impressive as
Sideshows Universal Monster line. With that, I would say I enjoy looking at both lines.

As for Jakks Pacific. That was an incredible line of figures.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

aura of foreboding

I love the JAKKS monsters.  That Dracula is probably my favorite recent Dracula figure (8" or less).  He may not be spot-on Lugosi, but the sculpt captures a certain Lugosi charm that is missing in the other sculpts.  The dioramas for Frankie and the Wolf Man = Incredible.  I would love to have this line back. 

As for DST, I love them.  I also love the Sideshow.  But, unlike Sideshow, my DST monsters have not all broken into little pieces. 

Mord

Wow, that is a common complaint. Though I've had my Sideshows on display for a dozen years without any breakage. Am I the only one?

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on June 28, 2013, 08:35:12 PM
Am I the only one?

I had an arm that wasn't very well attached, on the Wolf Man 8", but it would stay on if you left it alone.
CREATURE FAN

Count_Zirock

None of my Sideshow 8" or 12" figures have broken. My DST Deluxe Frankenstein had his right arm snap off right out of the package. Had to return it for a replacement.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

horrorhunter

I bought all of the Sideshow 8", and most of the 12", when they first came out. I've never had one break, or come apart. I think they are the best UniMon line to ever be produced. I've bought a few other UniMon figures since, like the Diamond Select Creature w/Julie Adams. If I ever find a line that looks as awesome as the Sideshow line then I will buy them all. That hasn't happened yet. I don't see it happening in the future either, but who knows.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

aura of foreboding

Let me count the damage to my Sideshows...

Series 1

I bought the FAO set -- not one survived except for Frankenstein.  Wolf Man's right arm snapped in two.  Both of the Mummy's arms came off.  He was a mess.

I was able to glue the Wolf Man, but he lost his "posability."  I had to buy a whole new Mummy. 

Series 2

I had to get a replacement Phantom because both of his arms snapped in two.  My replacement Phantom is now also broken, so I just glued the defective arm back.  My Creech broke right out the package.  His right arm snapped in half.  I glued it, so his right arm is no longer posable.  The Bride was great.

I didn't have as many issues later on, but I'm still bummed that these great sculpts had such defective assembly -- especially with the most popular characters. 

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN

aura of foreboding

It was so long ago, I really can't recall.  But, I know that my Phantom's joints literally broke, as did my Mummy's.  Since my Wolf Man is glued, I assumed the same thing happened to him, but now that you mention it, his could have only been a case of "coming apart."  Either way, very annoying. 

zombiehorror

The DST line isn't a must have for me but I have picked up a few of them!  If some of these had better/more accurate facial sculpts I would have definitely gotten them all by now!