TV on DVD What are you watching now?

Started by Wicked Lester, February 24, 2013, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristineBCW

Neon, along with the first two seasons of WILD WILD WEST (which seems to deteriorate into some tired, dull formula), watching BATMAN is another lesson in forumlaic stage-sets that become more obvious. although the "every show is a 2-3 episode" tale so they use this excuse for the same looking sets for the same fights in the same order, etc etc.

But then, consider MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, especially Seasons 2 and 3, where 'formulaic' storytelling is used, but in the writing and in the building-of-suspense.  And with such completely different results.

Three shows, all the same 'era' and three very different excitement levels after watching just two seasons of each.

The worst thing about NIGHT OF THE DIAMOND is that I never found a superior episode in WILD WILD WEST, although many others were fun.   I've still got some of Season 3 and the rest of 4 to go thru, though.

marsattacks666

The Walking Dead-season II ( What f*****g happen to this show?!)
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Lazarus

Quote from: marsattacks666 on February 06, 2016, 01:25:23 AM
The Walking Dead-season II ( What f*****g happen to this show?!)

I had to stop in season 2.  I read the comics also, and in that season, there's a point where every episode felt the same, and I thought I'd just stick with the book's and let the show go.

However, EVERY person I talk to about the show says stick with it, as season three is killer.

ChristineBCW

Laz, were you reading the comics long before the TV show arrived, or only after you'd seen the TV show?  That was me - 'only after seeing TV show'.

Lazarus

I started reading the comic just after they got to the prison, but an issue or two before Michonne.  So somewhere in the first 20 issues.  I was well invested by the time the show happened.

At this point, the show and the comic have gone on VERY different paths.  People are dead in the show that are alive in the comic, and vice-versa.  Darryl isn't even in the comic, though they are talking about adding him.

If you like the show, I highly recommend the comics.  They read like a show anyway, and are over too quickly as it is, especially when you have to wait for the monthly installments!

ChristineBCW

I did like the differences and the chutzpah it demonstrates to have two different paths for the same titled-show.

But this isn't the first episode.  GUNSMOKE the radio show ran for years concurrently with the TV show, using William Cannon as "Matt Dillon" instead of James Arness.  And Floyd The Barber - Howard McNear - played "Doc" on the radio. 

DRAGNET had some overlaps with attempts at prolonged TV shows in the '50s faltering and Jack Webb presenting 52-week seasons on the radio all the while. 

Of course, these are all encapsulated "only 1 episode" shows that shared names and occasionally actors (on Dragnet-Radio & TV).  These were not threaded tales where event-sequences were important.

Since the comic seems to be 1-2-3 'years' ahead of the TV show, I've imagined the TV show might have been 'corrected visions' of Kirkland's choices in the comics.  "If I had to do this over again, I'd do this instead of that..." kind of thing.  Kirkland's quoted as saying the opposite, though. 

Not that it matters.  I was a fan of both for a while but I burned out on the comics and remain disappointed that a TV show with so much promise seems to be burning out for me as well.  darn...

Lunkenstein

On DVD:

THE OUTER LIMITS
THE TWILIGHT ZONE
THE FUGITIVE
STAR TREK TOS
DANGER MAN/SECRET AGENT
THE PRISONER
PETER GUNN
WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE
GUNSMOKE
HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL

On Hulu/Netflix:

BATES MOTEL
THE ADDAMS FAMILY
GREEN ACRES
THE GOLDBERGS
Paul

horrorhunter

Hammer House Of Horror (1980)

Just watched my favorite ep again with Her Hawtness, Suzanne Danielle. Carpathian Eagle is about a female serial killer who writes books about serial killers from history and in her "research" she acts out those particular types of killings (and REEEEALLY enjoys it, "if you know what I mean, and I think you do", as Joe Bob would say). The character finishes a book (and a few victims), then travels to another area adopting another identity and begins the same method of operation all over again as another infamous serial killer from the past while writing another book about it. This character is fascinating and should be featured in a series of movies, TV, or books. Even though this TV show is only loosely tied to classic Hammer, Suzanne hereby gets the title of honorary Hammer Hottie. She's dynamite in this episode, and her acting is excellent as well.  ;)

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Memphremagog

Night Gallery
Doctor Who: Greatest Show In the Galaxy
Voyage To the Bottom Of the Sea
The Outer Limits
American Horror Story
Fear the Walking Dead
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Memphremagog

Quote from: horrorhunter on February 16, 2016, 03:05:47 AM
Hammer House Of Horror (1980)

Just watched my favorite ep again with Her Hawtness, Suzanne Danielle. Carpathian Eagle is about a female serial killer who writes books about serial killers from history and in her "research" she acts out those particular types of killings (and REEEEALLY enjoys it, "if you know what I mean, and I think you do", as Joe Bob would say). The character finishes a book (and a few victims), then travels to another area adopting another identity and begins the same method of operation all over again as another infamous serial killer from the past while writing another book about it. This character is fascinating and should be featured in a series of movies, TV, or books. Even though this TV show is only loosely tied to classic Hammer, Suzanne hereby gets the title of honorary Hammer Hottie. She's dynamite in this episode, and her acting is excellent as well.  ;)

Suzanne Danielle as the Agella the Movellan android from DOCTOR WHO: DESTINY OF THE DALEKS(1979)

DARK SHADOWS:

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

neonnoodle

Adventure Time season 3 and 4

A very funny cartoon show that I find is popular for some good reasons.  AT is always trying out some new trick and reinventing itself instead of stagnating with the same tired jokes repeatedly.   I am ESPECIALLY fond of a character known as "LEMONGRAB" who is one of the most delightfully unhinged creations I've come across in a while.  His screaming craziness rules over his special episode, "You Made Me," which maintains an admirable continuity of ideas, easy to follow the story, but the story itself makes very little sense.  It's just plain funny as hell and might be my personal favorite episode.

Lemongrab is like some people we all know, a total control freak who needs attention from everyone at all times--he suffers when he's not absolutely in charge of the entire universe.  In "You Made Me," he loses his mind in 30 seconds flat because "Blombo," a little donut person, is listening to music on headphones and not paying attention to Lemongrab's "instructions."  People who've seen this sequence say it is one of the best freakouts on film, ever.
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

marsattacks666

Memphremagog

The Time Tunnel
Sleepy Hollow
Doctor Who: Battlefield
Agent Carter
The Outer Limits
DARK SHADOWS:

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: Memphremagog on February 26, 2016, 11:06:27 PM
The Time Tunnel
Sleepy Hollow
Doctor Who: Battlefield
Agent Carter
The Outer Limits
I've also been watching Agent Carter. I pretty much have a compulsion to watch everything in the Cinematic Universe. (But I haven't finished Jessica Jones, yet).