Saw The Invisible Man for the First Time Yesterday

Started by the_last_gunslinger, February 09, 2020, 01:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_last_gunslinger

It was great. The Invisible Man was never one of my favorites because he didn't look "monstrous" enough, so I kept putting it off. But with the remake coming out pretty soon, I figured I'd check it out and I'm glad I did.

For some reason, the scene where the Invisible Man slowly begins to unravel his bandages for the first time was really unnerving. The way you could make out the contours of his face, but with gaps in the wrappings where you could see nothing...it was a striking scene. I can't stop thinking about it.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed...

Mike Scott

Quote from: the_last_gunslinger on February 09, 2020, 01:14:42 PM
The way you could make out the contours of his face, but with gaps in the wrappings where you could see nothing...it was a striking scene.

Some of that was done in the usual way, with the actor wearing a black hood with bandages over it, but I think some shots were of a "puppet" of just bandages unraveling. I'd have to recheck the scene to see if I'm remembering correctly.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

the_last_gunslinger

S
Quoteome of that was done in the usual way, with the actor wearing a black hood with bandages over it, but I think some shots were of a "puppet" of just bandages unraveling. I'd have to recheck the scene to see if I'm remembering correctly.

This is why I love coming to this site; getting insight from those who know a lot more about the Classics than I do.

Whatever the strategy they used, it was pure cinematic magic.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: the_last_gunslinger on February 09, 2020, 01:42:17 PM
S
This is why I love coming to this site; getting insight from those who know a lot more about the Classics than I do.

Whatever the strategy they used, it was pure cinematic magic.

The special features for the Invisible Man include a really interesting explanation of how the effects were achieved.  Very ingenious photo techniques for a pre-digital world.  Well worth watching.

I have to wonder what it would be like watching some of my favorite films for the first time today.  Back when I saw them, it really DID seem like magic.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on February 15, 2020, 03:09:27 PM
I have to wonder what it would be like watching some of my favorite films for the first time today. 

Though in some cases, like "Star Wars" for instance, you'd have to forget every movie you've seen, since, for it to have the same effect it had that first time.
CREATURE FAN

the_last_gunslinger

So I went to see the new Invisible Man in theaters yesterday. My five year old nephew asked where I was going, and I told him I was going to the theater to see it. Then he asked, "it's not the grey-screen one, is it?" I had forgotten that he was present when I saw the original, and apparently "grey screen" is his word for black and white. He really freaked out when I told him about silent films.

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN