Show off your Weekly Finds.

Started by hhwolfman, December 09, 2007, 04:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monsterphile

Here's some stuff that I picked over the last 2 weeks from a yard sale and an auction.

A Mattel Strange Change Lost World toy.  I think the only thing missing is the instruction booklet.

A rubber Yoda mask (yard sale $1), Uncle Sam and Abe Lincoln Mego-like figures, Dee Wallace Stone autographed E.T. picture

Hasbro Emperor Palpatine, vinyl mummy, small Remco Phantom & Creature

A stack of 8mm movies (no horror or SciFi) and a talking View-Master

Some motionettes--the vampire needs pants though so eventually we'll need to make him a new pair.

Rob

Gasport

Wow...NICE HAUL! I have one of those Strange Change toys too...they really display nicely, i put a Frankenstein monster-nik inside mine. I'd leave the Drac pantless, if i were you...goes much better with the expression on his face!

michblk

Wow Rob, I love that Strange Change Machine!  As for Flasher Dracula... lol

BK
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

avenger

Wow Rob ! I have got to go to yard sales with you as none of the yard sales or flea markets I go to
ever have the great stuff that you find !! That talking viewmaster,Yoda mask and the other stuff
is great !!

michblk

Hey Nicole, all you need now is a wooden stake, a mirror and a cape for your vampire slaying kit.

BK
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

Scatter

Drac with no pants?? Must be the Frank Langella version.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

poseablemonster

Rob, what a haul!!! I love the Strange Change toy; the box looks like it's in great shape.

raycastile

Quote from: Nicole on May 26, 2009, 03:39:23 AM
Not a monster toy, but something cool that I picked up at the thrift store yesterday...
Of all the strange things, it's a Holy Water bottle. Now I just need to fill it up with said water, stick a cork in it, and I'll have a perfect weapon to combat vampires and the undead with. :D

No, this is not going to work unless the bottle actually contains holy water.  You can't make water holy just by sticking a name on a bottle!  Sorry.  You're going to have to go to a church and beg or steal to get the real thing.  Otherwise, all you're going to do is get the vampire wet.
Raymond Castile

Nicole

Quote from: raycastile on May 28, 2009, 01:50:13 AM

No, this is not going to work unless the bottle actually contains holy water.  You can't make water holy just by sticking a name on a bottle!  Sorry.  You're going to have to go to a church and beg or steal to get the real thing.  Otherwise, all you're going to do is get the vampire wet.

I know that. Notice that I did say I need to fill it up with said water. Said water being Holy water. :P

But you're right, obtaining any in the first place is going to be a real problem.
"If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly." -Ashleigh Brilliant

Crazy1van

No, this is not going to work unless the bottle actually contains holy water.  You can't make water holy just by sticking a name on a bottle!  Sorry.  You're going to have to go to a church and beg or steal to get the real thing.  Otherwise, all you're going to do is get the vampire wet.

A sad but true detail I discovered in 1987.  And appearently vampires are not impressed by 'holy' water blessed by someone ordained via the internet.

Stupid vampires.

The Reverend Ivan of the Universal Church of Life
Homo homini lupus
"Man is a wolf to man"

http://www.pjfarmer.com/woldnewton/Talbot.pdf

Bogey

:D That last line was a classic!

Any Catholic Church (or possibly Shrine) should have some.  You should find some as you enter the "front" (not the alter, that is the other end) or what may be called the entrance.  The water will be contained in a stoup.  However, these are usually pretty small and will be difficult to dip your bottle in.  Also the Baptismal Fountain contains blessed water.  This might be your best bet.  Just ask a Father at a local Church.  You might try a Deacon, but he will probably just refer you to the Priest. 

There is this, from the web:

At that time Pope Leo IV ordered that each priest bless water every Sunday in his own church and sprinkle the people with it: "Omni die Dominico, ante missam, aquam benedictam facite, unde populus et loca fidelium aspergantur" (P.L., CXV, col. 679). Hincmar of Reims gave directions as follows: "Every Sunday, before the celebration of Mass, the priest shall bless water in his church, and, for this holy purpose, he shall use a clean and suitable vessel. The people, when entering the church, are to be sprinkled with this water, and those who so desire may carry some away in clean vessels so as to sprinkle their houses, fields, vineyards, and cattle, and the provender with which these last are fed, as also to throw over their own food" ("Capitula synodalia", cap. v, in P.L., CXXV, col, 774).

However, whatever you do, do not just throw down your drain should you want to get rid of it.  Take it back to the Church and they will dispose of it for you.  Neat bottle, by the way.

Bogey

Nicole

Thanks for all the info, Bogey! ;D
"If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly." -Ashleigh Brilliant

Bogey

Quote from: Nicole on May 28, 2009, 07:26:33 AM
Thanks for all the info, Bogey! ;D

I would love to be in a pew when you ask for some.

Nicole: "Errr, ummm, Father, may I fill my bottle with Holy Water?"

Priest: "Certainly.  For what purpose do you need it?"

Nicole: (Thinking that lying is bad enough, let alone in the House of God and to a person of the cloth, no less)...."Umm, *whispers* Vampires."   :D

Nicole

Quote from: Bogey on May 28, 2009, 04:03:08 PM
I would love to be in a pew when you ask for some.

Nicole: "Errr, ummm, Father, may I fill my bottle with Holy Water?"

Priest: "Certainly.  For what purpose do you need it?"

Nicole: (Thinking that lying is bad enough, let alone in the House of God and to a person of the cloth, no less)...."Umm, *whispers* Vampires."   :D

:D :D :D :D