Show off your Weekly Finds.

Started by hhwolfman, December 09, 2007, 04:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Terror

My opinion, its a complete waste of time getting monster toys graded.  Except for the action figures, 99% of monster collectors dont care if something is graded.  In fact we prefer it isn't, and I dont know any serious collector who will pay a premium for a graded over non graded item.

Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Dr.Terror on February 02, 2021, 12:07:41 AM
My opinion, its a complete waste of time getting monster toys graded.  Except for the action figures, 99% of monster collectors dont care if something is graded.  In fact we prefer it isn't, and I dont know any serious collector who will pay a premium for a graded over non graded item. 

I have a small, but really nice, collection of Spanish colonial coinage from the 17th and 18th centuries - those crudely-made pieces of eight that would have been so fiercely fought over by the classic pirates and privateers.

My coins are especially nice and many have actually slabbed such coins - despite the fact that most of them are in the 350-year-old range and have been roughly handled, buried or even lost at sea for many years.

Nonsense.  I love to take them out of their slip covers and handle them.  I get a kick out of holding them in my hand and thinking about the mint slaves, colonists and merchants who passed them around over the centuries.

If I ever want to stare at things behind glass, I'll go to a museum.
ADAM

LFSPaul

Was told this set of stickers were shrink wrapped, but some have seen them without.

Grader is going to grade them without shrink wrap, and they said it's the only set they've graded.

This will be the third item I've gotten graded that they hadn't done before.

One thing about grading, it will last forever as long as the case is intact.

Dr.Terror

Id rather spend that money on more toys.   Also depends what you collect for? The love of the items, or how much they might be worth one day.    Sadly I dont think in 20 years young collectors will care about a set of  graded Universal Monstet stickers.  Esp considering there are plenty of non graded examples of them out there.

Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

LFSPaul

Well if there are plenty out there I've never seen them before or they rarely come up for sale.

Wish I was as lucky as you that I had seen these several times before, let alone for sale. Went to my worthpoint account and I can't find any sold at auction going back to 2005.

I sent them for grading and I'll be happy to have them back once finished.

I don't collect for what it will be worth, I only collect Creature from the Black lagoon and it's getting hard to find stuff I don't already own.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: LFSPaul on February 03, 2021, 08:40:58 PM
Well if there are plenty out there I've never seen them before or they rarely come up for sale.

Wish I was as lucky as you that I had seen these several times before, let alone for sale. Went to my worthpoint account and I can't find any sold at auction going back to 2005.

I sent them for grading and I'll be happy to have them back once finished.

I don't collect for what it will be worth, I only collect Creature from the Black lagoon and it's getting hard to find stuff I don't already own.

They're yours. You don't owe anyone any explanation for what you choose to do with them. Least of all any of our anonymous voices here in internets land. Congratulations on your score. I think having them graded is your decision. If I owned them, I would be too nervous to send them off for grading. However, I would at least put them in a bag and board to keep oils from my hands(or perhaps drool) off them,lol. Again, congrats on your awesome score!  Having them slabbed will keep them preserved for whomever the next owner will be. if humanity hasn't destroyed itself by then. Awesome score!

Mike Scott

Quote from: LFSPaul on February 03, 2021, 08:40:58 PM
I only collect Creature from the Black lagoon and it's getting hard to find stuff I don't already own.

If you bought this for your Creature collection, you are getting desperate!  ;D I'm a long ways from having to buy things that have so little Creature on them. If the Creature replaced Frankenstein on that card, then I'd want it.

I bought this little licensed fridge magnet, the other day, that sold at the theme park around 2000. it's the size of a BB card.

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

Quote from: Anton Phibes on February 03, 2021, 09:24:41 PMThey're yours. You don't owe anyone any explanation for what you choose to do with them. Least of all any of our anonymous voices here in internets land. Congratulations on your score. I think having them graded is your decision.

Of course it's his decision! Nor does he owe anyone an "explanation". That is belabouring the obvious.

But he did post about his purchase and his intentions on a public discussion board. We can very naturally assume that he has no problems with his decision being discussed. After all, it's what we do here.

Moreover the entire discussion has also been very polite. Therefore I don't see any problems here whatsoever.

???

Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on February 03, 2021, 10:32:39 PM
That is belabouring the obvious.

Oh, what a sesquipedalian word that was!  ;D
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 03, 2021, 10:31:32 PM
If you bought this for your Creature collection, you are getting desperate!  ;D I'm a long ways from having to buy things that have so little Creature on them. If the Creature replaced Frankenstein on that card, then I'd want it.

I bought this little licensed fridge magnet, the other day, that sold at the theme park around 2000. it's the size of a BB card.

Interesting.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

LFSPaul

Haven't bought that piece yet, I do know the feeling.

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 03, 2021, 10:31:32 PM

Monolith

This is the Ideal Jaws game from 1975. One of my coworkers who knows I collect monster toys asked me if I wanted this. He said he got it at a thrift store a few years ago and it was just gathering dust. So I got it for free. It's kind of like the game Operation--you have to get the plastic game pieces out of his mouth using the hook before his jaws snap shut on you.

Jaws The Game (Ideal 1975) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Monolith on February 08, 2021, 06:35:57 AM
This is the Ideal Jaws game from 1975. One of my coworkers who knows I collect monster toys asked me if I wanted this....

That's a pretty nice gift!

You are definitely working in the right place.
ADAM

marsattacks666

Quote from: Monolith on February 08, 2021, 06:35:57 AM
This is the Ideal Jaws game from 1975. One of my coworkers who knows I collect monster toys asked me if I wanted this. He said he got it at a thrift store a few years ago and it was just gathering dust. So I got it for free. It's kind of like the game Operation--you have to get the plastic game pieces out of his mouth using the hook before his jaws snap shut on you.

Jaws The Game (Ideal 1975) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Really cool. A collector from YouTube mentioned that Ideal produced an Alligator(1980) game, with same concept as the JAWS game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DgV7-2WtQvU
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Monolith

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on February 08, 2021, 08:31:23 AM
That's a pretty nice gift!

You are definitely working in the right place.

I definitely am because a few days after getting that JAWS game look at what a different coworker gave me...

marsattacks666---I like that big alligator figure in the Ideal Alligator game, it's pretty cool.

Monster Madness Board game by donald deveau, on Flickr