Show off your Weekly Finds.

Started by hhwolfman, December 09, 2007, 04:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roback

Ever since I started Megocentral, where I have the chance to speak with thousands of collectors, I've been more than a little concerned about the escalating prices that are required to collect in our hobby. Not everybody has hundreds of dollars to plunk down on a single toy and I've seen too many other collectibles where the prices went so high that the average collector decided not even to bother. That's one of the main reasons that I don't collect robots. Their just way too expensive. That's the last thing that I want to see happen with Mego and monster collecting, especially seeing all the enjoyment that this hobby provides. With all this being said, I always thought that a boxed Remco Wolfman would run me $300.00 plus, especially since the last few sold for even more on auction. You can imagine my surprise when I won this for $114.00! I guess I just wanted to post this to remind new collectors that there are good deals are out there if you're patient.

Robert Acquarulo

The Phantom Creep

WHOA!! More photos of that room please!!

Congrats on the Wolf Man. The deals are still out there, just less frequent. :(
"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

Anton Phibes

Roback 's collection is neat and tidy!!!!!!  Kudos!  looks like a museum!!!! :o

poseablemonster

Oh, yeah.  Rob's collection is amazing, and the way it's displayed really gives those rare pieces the props they deserve.  I've admired his display room for a long time.

Toy Ranch

I love Rob's collection and display. 

The great thing about Mego or monster stuff is that you can collect to your budget.  Mego you have to stick with loose if you want to be frugal, but nothing wrong with that.  Monster stuff even moreso.  $20 a month can bring you all kinds of cool stuff, as there's lots of inexpensive monster toys that rock!

Roback

Well, coming from you guys I consider that quite the compliment! Andy, Bobby, I consider both of your collections simply amazing but lets face it, that goes without saying. Even more important is the passion you have for the hobby itself. My dad always told me to " stick with the winners " which you'll now start to realize why I make it a point to stay in steady contact with you both. I find great joy in reaching out to new collectors who are contemplating  starting a collection. Let's face it, money is tight and there are many places to spend what little disposable income we may have for a collection. I simply wanted to make the point that you don't always have to spend big bucks to obtain the more rarer pieces. As a matter of fact, if you look closely you'll see two carded Tomland Famous Monsters of Legend Morlocks. Just a few weeks ago I ran in to a beautiful sealed card for just a little over $100.00. No way could I pass that up. Just another example that if you spend enough time looking the deals are out there.
Robert Acquarulo

Anton Phibes

Never wanted to pay full price, and didnt even wanna pay 1/2 price.  So I held out and look......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270296970673

The Phantom Creep

New stuff...

I already had the Wolf Man and now the Drac

Gotta love anything with a Gorilla holding a girl

Godzilla wants to give you a hug

And I got me one of these little guys, although his hand got bitten off by a gator

"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

zombiehorror

This won't be anything exciting or rare to anyone here but a couple of weeks ago I picked up the Luminators Phantom at St. Louis' Monstrous Weekend!!  After seeing Ebay pricing I was sure I wouldn't be completing my Luminator collection but a vendor had it there for $15, well below what I've seen them go for on Ebay and someone else had one for $20!

Also they had a bunch of the USPS monster stamp pencils on the entry table for free...awesome since I never got a complete set.

Mike Scott

Quote from: The Phantom Creep on November 06, 2008, 04:30:22 AM
And a poster of Robby the Robot copyright and dated  1978 BILL MALONE/FANTASY CLASSICS INC.
Not folded, size 20" x 26"
Anyone know the story on this, was it just a commercially available poster?

Bill Malone owns the original Robby. The photo appears to be his Robby against a FP-like painted background, as apposed to a still from the film. Don't know what the story on the poster is, but he must have had these printed up for sale?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

NekroDave

It's been pretty quiet on the monster front for me lately (got about a dozen kaiju on the way though), but I couldn't leave NYCC empty handed, now could I? I managed to snag a pretty decent lunchbox. Also, completed my Monster Balls set on Ebay last week, too.

Gasport

Nice score, Dave! I have one of the lunch boxes, too. Had to be one of the last all metal jobs, as everything went plastic by the 80's. Wish i'd have been able to attend NYCC. [Joe Simon used to be a neighbor of mine while growing up during the 60's] Seeing all this great stuff makes me look forward to the Chiller Theatre dealer's room in a couple of months! That's where i finally completed my set of Monster Balls not long ago. Congrats!

Mike Scott

Quote from: NekroDave on February 10, 2009, 04:07:40 AM
Also, completed my Monster Balls set on Ebay last week, too.

Couldn't they have at least tried to come up with a less suggestive name!? "Ball Monsters", or somethin'?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

michblk

Quote from: Gasport on February 10, 2009, 05:04:39 AM
Nice score, Dave! I have one of the lunch boxes, too. Had to be one of the last all metal jobs, as everything went plastic by the 80's. Wish i'd have been able to attend NYCC. [Joe Simon used to be a neighbor of mine while growing up during the 60's] Seeing all this great stuff makes me look forward to the Chiller Theatre dealer's room in a couple of months! That's where i finally completed my set of Monster Balls not long ago. Congrats!

Joe Simon of Simon and Kirby?

BK
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

toysoldierman2001

You guys made some really great scores,but for me right now $100 or more is just out of the question no matter how bad I want something.