What have you been listening to?

Started by Allhallowsday, August 24, 2012, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allhallowsday

THE ROLLING STONES Beggars Banquet   
If you want to view Paradise, simply look around and view it.

Hepcat

Quote from: missdead13 on January 10, 2013, 08:19:09 AM
im addicted to vinyl. .
listening to stooges and the mentors this morning. .

What turntable do you use?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: marsattacks666 on January 13, 2013, 03:34:10 AMExtremely underrated album.  :(

Quote from: jimm on January 13, 2013, 01:43:17 AM
The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

I disagree! "Beggar's Banquet" is widely acknowledged to be among the best albums of all time! Unless of course you think it is the very best album of all time, in which case I'll concede that a good case can be made.

;)

Hepcat

Quote from: Allhallowsday on January 10, 2013, 09:28:49 PM
Two of my favorites. 

DAVID BOWIE Low 

GARY NUMAN Telekon  

GLORIA LYNNE The Greatest Hits

ROLLING STONES Black And Blue 

JOHN LENNON Imagine

THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE Are You Experienced

All excellent to fabulous!

8)

Allhallowsday

marsattacks666

Quote from: Hepcat on January 15, 2013, 04:45:41 PM

I disagree! "Beggar's Banquet" is widely acknowledged to be among the best albums of all time! Unless of course you think it is the very best album of all time, in which case I'll concede that a good case can be made.

;)

In my opinion..... EXILE on Main Street and Sticky Fingers are the two best Stones' records. Not to exclude other fine records the Stones have given us. For example: Let it Bleed, Their Satanic Majesties Request, Better's  Banquet and
Some Girls.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Allhallowsday

Quote from: marsattacks666 on January 16, 2013, 12:59:13 AM

In my opinion..... EXILE on Main Street and Sticky Fingers are the two best Stones' records. Not to exclude other fine records the Stones have given us. For example: Let it Bleed, Their Satanic Majesties Request, Better's  Banquet and
Some Girls.
I don't think Their Satanic Majesties Request holds up to your other examples, but I do agree Exile On Main Street belongs at the top of any list.   :)

Hepcat

I strongly disagree. Too many casual Stones' fans don't go beyond "Beggar's Banquet", "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile on Main Street". The Stones' library was far too extensive and diverse to encapsulate thus, and it's annoying to see so many music fans trying to do precisely that.

Here's my ranking of Stones' albums up to the mid-nineties not including greatest hit packages or live albums:

Flowers
December's Children
Rolling Stones Now
Sticky Fingers
Beggars' Banquet
Let It Bleed
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Steel Wheels
Dirty Work
Between the Buttons(U.S.)
Some Girls
Out of Our Heads
Voodoo Lounge
Tattoo You
Black and Blue
Emotional Rescue
Aftermath(U.S.)
England's Newest Hitmakers
Exile on Main Street
12 X 5
Goat's Head Soup
It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Undercover

If I had to pick just one Stones' album on CD though, it would be either "Forty Licks" or "The London Years".

cl:)

Allhallowsday

Quote from: Hepcat on January 16, 2013, 01:56:49 PM
I strongly disagree. Too many casual Stones' fans don't go beyond "Beggar's Banquet", "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile on Main Street". The Stones' library was far too extensive and diverse to encapsulate thus, and it's annoying to see so many music fans trying to do precisely that.
Here's my ranking of Stones' albums up to the mid-nineties not including greatest hit packages or live albums:
Flowers  December's Children  Rolling Stones Now  Sticky Fingers  Beggars' Banquet  Let It Bleed
Their Satanic Majesties Request  Steel Wheels  Dirty Work  Between the Buttons(U.S.) Some Girls
Out of Our Heads  Voodoo Lounge  Tattoo You  Black and Blue  Emotional Rescue  Aftermath(U.S.)
England's Newest Hitmakers  Exile on Main Street  12 X 5  Goat's Head Soup  It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Undercover 
If I had to pick just one Stones' album on CD though, it would be either "Forty Licks" or "The London Years".   cl:) 
A gulf does not separate us.  I'm not a "casual STONES fan".   You did notice I was the one listening to Black And Blue?  I love Flowers which is probably my favorite '60s STONES (and I know it's a compilation).  I have a lot of STONES on CD that I didn't have on vinyl and had a lot on vinyl that I don't on CD.  These days, I listen to '70s STONES a lot and even like records that were reviled but are becoming more appreciated like Goats Head Soup and Black And Blue... I even listen to Dirty Work quite often, Tattoo You is one of my very favorites (being a Pop fan) of any band (and I know those two are '80s) and think you're right on with Between The Buttons and Aftermath.  I just think Their Satanic Majesties Request is derivative and a little weak.  ;D

Allhallowsday

THE ROLLING STONES Tattoo You    

Allhallowsday

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Allhallowsday

THE ROLLING STONES Undercover 

TALKING HEADS Remain In Light

Allhallowsday

FRANZ LISZT Westphalian Symphony Orchestra SIEGFRIED LANDAU Conductor "Les Preludes" "Tasso" "Le Triomphe Funebre Du Tasse" "From The Cradle To The Grave"

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE Volunteers      

JOHN LENNON & YOKO ONO Double Fantasy    

I'll never understand how YOKO (oh no...) dared to write half the songs to be included on an album with one of the greatest songwriters yet. 

Paladin

Aside from The John Lennon Collection, Double Fantasy is Lennon's best album (IMO)
I also like Shaved Fish & Imagine
"Traveler of both time and space..."