Boris Karloff's Thriller--is it really a chiller?

Started by yendor1152, August 19, 2012, 10:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yendor1152

When I was very little, Boris Karloff's Thriller ran on network TV. I never got to see an episode because my parents both said the show was terrifying. For years and years, I heard about classic episodes, how "frightening" they were, how the entire series was the height of horror. Even Stephen King said it was the scariest show ever on television.

Well, finally, via MeTV, I've been watching episodes of Thriller, and I gotta ask...where's the thrill? The scariest (if you want to call it that) episode I've seen so far was "The Grim Reaper," only because it had a weird vibe, and I love early Bill Shatner. But we never got to see the Reaper come out of the painting, so it was all a lot of talk, talk, talk. In fact, that's what I see and hear happening through most of these so-called "horrifying" episodes---talk! The one tonight, "Flowers of Evil," came highly recommended, and I found myself nodding off. Just one long bore.

I think most of the people who love Thriller are actually affected more by nostalgia than reality. To me, the show's a dud. I find The Twilight Zone much scarier, and The Outer Limits makes Thriller look like amateur night at my local high school.

Have I just missed the "good" episodes? And if I have, where are they? I've been watching this for over two months! No wonder the show didn't last long.

Rod

Illoman

Pigeon's From Hell, La Straya (sp?), and The Devil's Ticket are all pretty creepy episodes.

Illoman

The other thing you have to consider is the show is fifty years old. All of us have become somewhat desensitized to horror for numerous reasons: slasher films, the nightly news, etc. In it's day it was considered scary, as was Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, etc. My dad wouldn't let us what Star Trek when it first came out for fear we'd have nightmares! Do you find any of the Universal Horror films scary? In their day they were.

RICKH

I agree with Mike (Illoman).  I remember watching Thriller when I was 7 and 8 years old in 1961-62  It scared the crap out of me! I still remember Pidgeons from Hell with the brother who had been killed with an axe to the head and his zombie like walk. The Cheaters with the scary makeup at the end.  The frightening Lon Chaneyesque London after Midnight character from the Well of Doom. All of these were pretty intense for early 60's televison.
You can't kill the boogeyman.  Halloween (1978)

Jethro

As Illoman stated, I think we have become "desensitized" and the stuff they have put out in the last thirty years or so have made us that way.  How can we compare anything today to something from the early sixties.  Can you imagine switching the channel back then from a "Thriller" episode to something like "Saw 2" or something similar.
For me then it was scary back in the sixties, now it is nostalgic of which I'll take anytime over being scared.
I watched one last week called "Masquerade" with Elizabeth Montgomery.  Not exactly scary but it was entertaining and the sets were fantastic.
Can't wait for the "Dr. Makessan"episode with Boris in the starring role.

Illoman

Quote from: Jethro on August 20, 2012, 03:17:09 PM

For me then it was scary back in the sixties, now it is nostalgic of which I'll take anytime over being scared.

Jethro, I couldn't agree more with you my friend.

I was blessed to receive a copy of the Thriller box set for my birthday, and have really enjoyed each episode I've watched.

zombiehorror

I was watching these on Netflix Instant and the first 15 episodes were more crime/detective thrillers than anything but both episode 16, Hungry Glass and episode 30, Parasite Mansion were pretty creepy but that is all I got to see before the Netflix Instant contract was up; I'd certainly like to watch some more episodes but I would never buy the dvds, I think it is definitely a show that you have to pick and choose which episodes you watch.  But you gotta think even one a handful of creepy episodes can make for a lifetime of memories (especially the younger you saw the show), it isn't like you could watch the show over and over back in the day!

yendor1152

I wouldn't say I've become "desensitized" over the years, and I'm certainly no spring chicken at age 59--but I frankly expected more from Thriller. The Outer Limits, especially season one, has very rarely disappointed me. Yet, I've never read that it's the "most horrifying show" ever on network television. Thriller, for some odd reason, has that rep, and based upon the dozen or so episodes I've seen already, I gotta wonder--just who is it scaring?

For example, the Grim Reaper episode. I'll admit there was a cool atmosphere to it, and Bill Shatner is always a joy to watch, but that's it. The ending would've been much more memorable if they'd ponied up to actually showing the Reaper descending on Bill's character, instead of just having an off-screen whooshing sound. As it stands, the episode definitely qualifies as "creepy." But the most horrifying ever? Hardly.

I've also found this phenomenon when I've viewed films from my childhood, stuff like "Earth vs. the Spider" and "The Creature From the Black Lagoon." The horrific scenes are few and far between, and in between are looooong stretches of talk, talk, talk. Think The Blob. One glimpse of the blob, followed by 20 minutes of banter between McQueen and the police, McQueen and his girlfriend or his pals. Wow, how could I have stood this as a kid? Thank God for fast forward!

To me, the most horrifying and consistently scary show on television ever is The Outer Limits. Nothing can beat it. The music, which they used in every episode, is incredible. Majestic, even. The monsters are cool even by today's standards, and the great mixture of dramatics with truly frightening moments is masterful. By comparison, Thriller is a dud. A bore.

Rod

Haunted hearse

In the early 1980's, with all the money being made from slasher films, "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" was re-released to the theatres.  I remember how many people who saw the movie leaving the theatre complaining how un-scary it was.  Thriller was a well made television show, scarred people when it first came on, and I can't ever recall being bored by any of them.  To complain about how un-scary it is to a viewer today, seems to me like complaining how a 1913 Model T Ford doesn't have a self starter.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Zackuth

I have also enjoyed the Thriller series.  I haven't seen all of them, but during the late 70's at 2 Saturday morning one of the channels showed reruns and I watched when I could.  I do remember one that really creeped me out, it was about a witch and a cat figured into it, but that's all I remember.  I am entertained when I watch an episode though.
"Listen to them; the children of the night.  What music they make!"  Dracula

Mord

Thriller was a fairly wellwritten, atmospheric show. I guess you had to see it as a kid and have those stored memories to fully appreciate it. I don't there is a movie or TV show that would really scare most of us jaded horror fans anymore. I do appreciate nicely written dialog and a suspenseful build up in most of my horror fare. Without that you're stuck with boring, in-your-face action horror fare like Michael Bay movies. "Van Helsing" anyone?

Illoman

Quote from: Zackuth on August 20, 2012, 07:15:00 PM
I have also enjoyed the Thriller series.  I haven't seen all of them, but during the late 70's at 2 Saturday morning one of the channels showed reruns and I watched when I could.  I do remember one that really creeped me out, it was about a witch and a cat figured into it, but that's all I remember.  I am entertained when I watch an episode though.

That might be La Strega. A seriously creepy episode featuring the lovely Ursula Andress. Directed by Ida Lupino. A seriously disturbing show.

Zackuth

I don't even remember who was in it, being well over 30 years since I saw that one.
"Listen to them; the children of the night.  What music they make!"  Dracula

Illoman

I mentioned Ida Lupino. It's interesting how many great shows she directed. Some of the best Thriller episodes are hers. She directed some of the Four Star Playhouse series which are quite excellent. She also directed the film The Hitch-Hiker, with Frank Lovejoy that is really suspenseful. She did the Twilight Episode The Masks which was quite creepy.

yendor1152

Quote from: Haunted hearse on August 20, 2012, 06:58:29 PM
To complain about how un-scary it is to a viewer today, seems to me like complaining how a 1913 Model T Ford doesn't have a self starter.

Well, if a 1913 Model T Ford is still being held up as the best car ever produced in America, then you've hit the nail right on the head. Thriller may have "scarred" (I think you meant scared) people in 1962, but there's no way it's the most horrifying show ever produced for American television. It's mildly atmospheric, long on talk, and very short on the scare factor. A handful of episodes do not a "scariest series ever" make, no matter how you cut it.

Loving this for nostalgia reasons is great, but in order to be called the "scariest show on television," it has to compete with every show before and after. Maybe in 1961 or 62, it was the scariest show. But there have been many more since then that frightened me more, and on a consistent--not just a handful--basis.

Rod