"Take me to your Leader!" - Unofficial Sci-Fi collectibles thread

Started by jimm, August 11, 2012, 07:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbud

Wondering if the Dan Dare weapons stayed small....were there any DD space rifles produced?

bigbud

Here's a cool Tom Corbett Cosmic Space Helmet from the 50's.  I'd put it together for pics, but it is made of such thin plastic that I am afraid my big clumsy self might damage it.

WnewCreatureFeatures

Quote from: bigbud on March 03, 2014, 10:11:34 PM
Wondering if the Dan Dare weapons stayed small....were there any DD space rifles produced?

Yes There were 2 , I had both in the boxes but sold them a few years ago

here's a pic I found on the web of one of the types I had

WnewCreatureFeatures

Quote from: bigbud on March 03, 2014, 10:22:29 PM
Here's a cool Tom Corbett Cosmic Space Helmet from the 50's.  I'd put it together for pics, but it is made of such thin plastic that I am afraid my big clumsy self might damage it.

Lovely Helmet , I always liked that one very stylish, if you watch "It Came from Outer Space" , you will see  a suprise when there's a knock at the door midway in the film

I had that one as well as the Capt Video one and the Space Patrol helmets in the boxes , I sold the Capt Video one outright w/ the box , I had a different guy pester me for the Tom Corbett and Space Patrol ones , I finally gave in and sold him the helmets but kept the boxes as I liked the artwork on them

jimm

bigbud

Hepcat

Quote from: bigbud on March 03, 2014, 10:22:29 PM

Oh that's beautiful as is! You don't need to assemble/handle it for us. I'm always glad to see any treasure you unearth from that wonderful basement trove of yours.

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

bigbud

Tom Corbett was on during TV's infancy. The Tom Corbett Space Cadet show ran from 1950-1955 and had a run on each of the big 3 television stations during that time. These are thick cardboard life-size masks of the crew....Tom Corbett, Astro and Roger Manning. I had Frankie Thomas, the actor that played Tom Corbett, sign the back side of his mask. Frankie passed away in 2006 and was buried in his original Tom Corbett television uniform...which fit him till his final day....

Not sure of the origin of these masks....I had thought they were off the back of cereal boxes, but the cut around all the edges gives no indication of scissors, and the cut is rather perfect for a kid or even his parent...

bigbud

A funny story... lest it is now.... at the convention Frankie Thomas (Tom Corbett) guested at we also had Gene Colan (of Daredevil fame..and others). I had it arranged that after the con closed staff and guests were to be treated to a banquet at our local steak house The Golden Ox. Well, it started to rain, so I suggested to Mr. and Mrs. Colan that I would pull my Dodge mini-van to the convention hall front door and then I'd slide the side door open for them. Well, I pulled around and here they came out the front running for the van.....Mrs. Colan jumped in the front seat....Gene holds a coat over his head to shield from the rain and he comes barreling down the sidewalk....jumps at the side door...hits his head on the top opening of the doorway and falls right back out of the van onto the cement sidewalk. I just sat there taking this all in for afew seconds....I was dead tired after all the putting on of the con and here I'd probably killed one of my guests of honor. Mrs. C and I got him in the back, her beside him, and he kinda moaned to the Golden Ox. All went well from then, but it was a small puzzle to many why Mr. Colan had a small towel on top of his head while we ate.....The Colans were really sweet people. 

Hepcat

Quote from: bigbud on March 09, 2014, 09:26:17 PMI had it arranged that after the con closed staff and guests were to be treated to a banquet at our local steak house The Golden Ox.

;D

How's the steak at the Golden Ox anyway?

???

bigbud

jimm

Hepcat

Here are scans of five Strange Adventures comics from my collection. Together with Mystery in Space, this was one of DC's two leading science fiction titles in the fifties and early sixties:

8)

Wicked Lester

Here is a space alien mask I've had for several years. Reminds me of something that could have been on  The Outer Limits.

Hepcat