Puzzles, anyone?

Started by Illoman, July 17, 2012, 06:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monolith

And here's the Frankenstein counterpart to the Dracula with nice artwork on it, too...

Frankenstein Frame-Tray Puzzle (1991) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Hepcat

Quote from: Monolith on July 20, 2019, 05:41:32 AMAnd here's the Frankenstein counterpart to the Dracula with nice artwork on it, too...

Wow! It looks to me as if you have the best puzzle collection on the UMA, and that's saying a lot!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monolith

Quote from: Hepcat on July 20, 2019, 05:34:24 PM
Wow! It looks to me as if you have the best puzzle collection on the UMA, and that's saying a lot!

8)

Thanks Hep! You know, I never really thought about it before but I guess I do have a pretty good puzzle collection. Here's another one. Whitman made two Dark Shadows boxed puzzles in 1969. I have this one...

Dark Shadows Puzzle Box (Whitman 1969) by donald deveau, on Flickr

BRICK

Here are some classic, old can puzzles from the 1970's

When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Hepcat

Quote from: BRICK on July 21, 2019, 01:23:53 PMHere are some classic, old can puzzles from the 1970's

Speaking of cans as well as puzzles, among the most interesting collectibles Playboy spawned over the years was the series of canned Playmate Puzzles that came out in the early seventies. Here's a good list:

Playmate Puzzles - Ken Ritchie

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

BRICK

Here are the regular Golden Puzzles from the 1990's

When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

BRICK

And here is the puzzle that I think best illustrates the cluelessness and apathy that Universal Marketing and some manufacturers can show towards the fans:
Outstanding, first-rate illustration on the box-

The bizarre, unrelated, and apocalyptically bad artwork that actually appears on the puzzle itself!!!

BRICK

Quote from: Mike Scott on July 22, 2019, 02:45:46 AM
Is this your puzzle? I think somebody put the wrong puzzle in the box. That can't be right!

Yes, that is my puzzle; I actually assembled it. The box even says that the puzzle doesn't match the front artwork. This was actually a higher priced, premium (?!?) "Golden Mystery Puzzle", where a booklet comes with it and you read along with the psuedo-Hardy Boys detectives and try to solve the mystery, with clues in the puzzle itself. Why Golden licensed the Mummy for this puzzle is the real mystery (the copyright on the puzzle, itself, is attributed to Universal). What they SHOULD have done is make it a more difficult two-sided puzzle, with the Mummy on the reverse side.

Mike Scott

Quote from: BRICK on July 22, 2019, 02:35:44 AM
The bizarre, unrelated, and apocalyptically bad artwork that actually appears on the puzzle itself!!!

That is bizarre! They should have dumped the whole "mystery" thing and made this the puzzle.

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

BRICK

Quote from: Mike Scott on July 22, 2019, 03:04:51 AM
That is bizarre! They should have dumped the whole "mystery" thing and made this the puzzle.

You're preaching to the choir!

Monolith

I don't have any of the Playboy puzzles, but I like 'em. I do have some of those boxed Golden Universal Monsters puzzles from the 1990's, since they've already been posted I won't post mine. I've seen that Mummy puzzle before with the nice box art, which I like a lot, but since it's not the image on the puzzle I've never bought one. Here's another one from my collection you might like...

Planet Of The Apes Puzzle (H.G. Toys 1967) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

I have two Addams Family frame-tray puzzles from 1965 made by Milton Bradley. This one with Uncle Fester...

Uncle Fester Puzzle (Milton Bradley 1965) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

Monolith

I've got a bunch of Whitman frame-tray puzzles. Here's one I've had since it came out in 1968, and I still have it. I always liked watching THE HERCULOIDS. It had characters created by comic book legend Alex Toth.

Herculoids Puzzle (Whitman 1968) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

Here's another Whitman frame tray puzzle that I've had most of my life and it's another character created by Alex Toth for Hanna Barbera's Saturday morning cartoon---Spaaaace Ghost!

Space Ghost Frame Tray Puzzle (Whitman 1967) by donald deveau, on Flickr