Repop debate

Started by raycastile, March 22, 2012, 10:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycastile

How about if we move the great repop debate to this thread and leave the Renzi monster mobile thread for discussion of that toy or that auction.
Raymond Castile

raycastile

I will start the debate.  I don't like repops.  Next.
Raymond Castile

fmofmpls

Thanks Ray for starting this thread. I certainly will chime in with my thoughts. And I have many, but not tonight .. I have a headache. 
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

raycastile

Quote from: fmofmpls on March 22, 2012, 10:25:16 PM
Thanks Ray for starting this thread. I certainly will chime in with my thoughts. And I have many, but not tonight .. I have a headache.

You always say that when I want to spend time with you.
Raymond Castile

frankenstein73

I also do not like repops.
Mirabile dictu,don't you agree?

bigbud

Again......repop= lazy, lack of creativiy, greed. Repop is the enemy of any true collector.............. Love, Buddy

Dr.Terror

Re-pops don't bother me.  If it makes someone happy and get an item they otherwise couldn't afford why not.   It's all about the fun of the toy, not the value or age of the plastic and paper.

And when i mean re-pops/re-pros I mean nicely done ala Big frankie.   Not some solid resin turd,
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Gasport

Isn't this thread in and of itself, a repop of the Renzi Monster Car discussion thread?   

BANE

I love repops.  Love repop kits....I would never fork over money for an Aurora Dracula but I can buy a Polar lights one!  I would LOVE if Hasbro would repop the original Star Wars figure and put todays date on the bottom of the foot.  That way original collectors could be happy but I could be happy too by having them!  I would love a repop of Marx Mountain etc.  I would love that!  Love to have repops of Megos too!  Change the date on the bottom of the foot.  It in NO WAY hurts the original collectors of ANY item that way.

raycastile

Repops blow chunks.  The copy is never as good as the original.

Think of something original, why don't ya.  Repops, schme-pops.

Argh, I hate repops!

Man, these freaking things are everywhere!  I can't escape them! 

Arrrghh!  Repops!  Arrrggghhhh!!!

Raymond Castile

Monster Bob

I have nothing against them on the surface, but they're not for me, except for kits and such. They are an exception, because with a repop kit, it's not the owning the piece that matters, but the fun of building and painting it.

I have nothing against anyone else owning repops, if that makes them happy. The part that DOES bug me is when repops resurface on ebay, and the seller 'doesn't remember' if the piece is original or a reproduction. How do you not remember?

Gillfan

I'm all for them, especially when they are professionally made.

It would be so very cool to be able to give my young nephew a battery operated Frankenstein and have him play with it!

Gillfan

but, having said that, I do think there should always be a difference from the original to thwart unscrupulous dealers.

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Monster Bob on March 23, 2012, 05:59:01 AM
I have nothing against them on the surface, but they're not for me, except for kits and such. They are an exception, because with a repop kit, it's not the owning the piece that matters, but the fun of building and painting it.

I have nothing against anyone else owning repops, if that makes them happy. The part that DOES bug me is when repops resurface on ebay, and the seller 'doesn't remember' if the piece is original or a reproduction. How do you not remember?

This.  But a repop gets sold at a garage sale or in a flea market, and the new owner thinks he has a vintage original...  it really depends on the item though.

Some of the mechanical banks made in the 1800's were repopped in the 1950's, and the repops were very nice copies.  These repops were marked and sell for hundreds, where the originals sell for thousands.  Cast Iron is really hard to tell though, as there have been repops for years.  The contemporary Chinese repops are pretty easy for a trained eye, even when they have been artificially aged (left outside for a while).  The market for old Depression and Carnival glass has been seriously affected by repops.  Robots...  there are repops that you can't tell unless you have them in your hand, and even then the only way you can be sure is to throw them against a wall and see if orange rust dust falls out.

ICEMANN333

WHEN GUYS FELLOW MONSTERS......... I KNOW WE ALL HAVE LOTS OF MONEY TO SPEND.... WRONG..........IF I COULD BY THAT VERY COOL MONSTER ITEM THAT I ALWAYS   WANTED BUT COULD NOT SPEND TONS OF CASH TO GET IT ... NOW AT A LOW COST OF A  REPOP I WOULD WELCOME IT TO MY MONSTER ROOM...........I HAVE TONS OF REAL ITEMS AND LOTS OF CUSTOMS IF ITS A MONSTER ITEM ITS ALWAYS WELCOME.............BIG JOHN ICEMAN.............