What we (UMA'ers) grew up on??? Remembering the fun.

Started by marsattacks666, July 23, 2011, 11:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elisabeth

Something else I remember, with a great deal of pleasure, was Biology Class.  I was by no means a Scientific "Egghead", but I had looked at my father's old notebooks from College (ca. 1933).  It helped a great deal, because when we got to Dissections, I had a vague knowledge of "the lay of the land".   I was the first one in class to get my Frog, and the only one in my section of the class not to upchuck.  (Something that is pretty common in a Girl's School).  Fortunately, I was lucky to complete my science credits before we got to the CAT, or I would have barfed too.

We also had Super Cool Lab smocks...made of our fathers' old dress shirts. and buttoned down the back.  Very Cool, when tied around the waist...because they looked surprisingly "Frankensteinian".  (VVVBEG)

"E"
"....I do hope he won't upset Henry..."

Hepcat

Quote from: Flower on September 19, 2013, 08:27:24 AMI loved playing hopscotch and/or potsy .. no one seems to draw the chalkboards correctly or at least the Brooklyn version that I was taught.

Did you skip? Do you remember any of your skipping rhymes/verses?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Flower

Quote from: Hepcat on September 20, 2013, 08:06:22 AM
Did you skip? Do you remember any of your skipping rhymes/verses?

???

Everyone skipped but I have no recollection of 'skipping songs' ... We had jump ropes (only single but my father has always claimed that he jumped 'double dutch') and sang the 'Mississippi Song' going in and out on the words 'push' and 'mush' .. I'll attempt to find the correct version but I did come across a 'jump rope song' site .. http://mudcat.org/jumprope/jumprope_display_all.cfm

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Hepcat

Monsters For Sale

Here is a site that will jog your memories of Christmas toys past:

http://192.185.93.157/~wishbook/

AND LOOK AT THOSE ORIGINAL PRICES!
ADAM

charp13

Monsters For Sale---  Those catalogs are the BEST!!  Thanks for the link!  I looked at those catalogs year round when I was a kid! Daydreaming about toys.....  :)

horrorhunter

Here's a cool book reprinting Sears Wishbook toy pages. I bought one and love it!

Info on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Toy-Sears-1951-1969/dp/0971428409
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Zackuth

I grew up in the late 60's-and 70's.  Great times!!  Horror movies on Friday nights and Saturdays.  During the Christmas break in the early 70's an ABC morning program would run horror shows, that is where I first got to view Hammer movies, Dracula, The Gorgon, and others.  Wanting to go outside and play, only staying inside to watch a movie or it was late and I had to.  I remember if toys made a noise or had lights it was envied by friends and brother.  Running to the drug store on Tuesdays because that was when the new comics hit the stands, and during the summer if I was early enough the worker would have to cut the rope which kept them together.  As a kid, 3-5, my dad worked for a department store in the toy department.  He would put back the best toys for us for Christmas. 
"Listen to them; the children of the night.  What music they make!"  Dracula

Hepcat

Quote from: Zackuth on January 18, 2014, 12:27:27 PMAs a kid, 3-5, my dad worked for a department store in the toy department.  He would put back the best toys for us for Christmas.

Oh wow! Talk about a kid's dream come true! Do you remember what were some of the "best" toys he set aside for you?

???

The Batman

It all began once I saw my first monster movie. After that, I'd watch every monster movie I could.

Then I built the Frankenstein model kit. That lead to getting more and more monsters of all kinds and making Creeple People (remember when they used pencils for the body?) and Creepy Crawlers.
I love collecting skulls & skeletons & I still have quite a few to this day.

I loved how scary The Outer Limits was on TV, even though at some moments my older brother would turn the TV volume WAY UP and I'd have to hide behind the couch!

I loved Halloween. My parents had to stop me from wanting to wear costumes before AND after Halloween. To this day Halloween is my favorite holiday and I love how people go crazy with photos
during any Batman appearances I make. My late night Batman appearances are the most intense as the suit looks awesome in dark settings and most kids are sleeping so they are not terrified. These days I can make a late night Batman appearance and enjoy watching people freak out. Having fun with each Batman appearance only gets me hooked on it. Perhaps I'll quit my gig when I need a cane! 

To me the '89 Batsuit is the ultimate Batsuit and '89 cowl is the best looking cowl and the 8 section scalloped cape looks the best. It's THE comic-book-come-to-life movie suit.
I don't like the past few movie Batsuits, as they look more like a motocross-suit.

Hepcat

Quote from: The Batman on January 18, 2014, 01:21:38 PMTo me the '89 Batsuit is the ultimate Batsuit and '89 cowl is the best looking cowl and the 8 section scalloped cape looks the best. It's THE comic-book-come-to-life movie suit.

My definition of "the best" too!

8)

Zackuth

Quote from: Hepcat on January 18, 2014, 01:16:47 PM
Oh wow! Talk about a kid's dream come true! Do you remember what were some of the "best" toys he set aside for you?

???

The one I do remember was Mighty Mikes, both my brother and I got one.  We had the track it climbed on too.  That is really all I remember (we are talking 46+ years ago).  He was working there when the Bond movie From Russia With Love came out.  The breifcase from the film, complete with coins and knife, came out as a toy for children.  My dad said "those damn knives were all over the place!"  And it was his job ot clean it up and put things back.  I do know we got some games, but I don't remember what ones. 
"Listen to them; the children of the night.  What music they make!"  Dracula

Monsters For Sale

ADAM

Hepcat

There were still a couple of stores where one could order from the Sears catalogue within a couple of miles of my house in eastern Toronto several years ago. These catalogue outlets closed a few years ago and now the Sears department stores in Canada may be shuttered within weeks. Sears Canada has filed for creditor protection and no buyer for the company or its stores has surfaced.

Personally I won't miss the Sears stores. They're all situated in suburban malls and I've always found Sears stores and any other suburban department stores a hollow echo of downtown department stores and simply depressing.

:(

Now if only Walmart and Costco would disappear as well....

;)

marsattacks666

Quote from: Hepcat on October 12, 2017, 09:08:20 AM
There were still a couple of stores where one could order from the Sears catalogue within a couple of miles of my house in eastern Toronto several years ago. They closed some years ago and the remaining Sears stores in Canada may be shuttered within weeks. Sears Canada has filed for creditor protection and no buyer for the company or its stores has surfaced.

Personally I won't miss the Sears stores. They're all situated in suburban malls and I've always found Sears stores and any other suburban department stores a hollow echo of downtown department stores and thus simply depressing.

:(

Now if only Walmart and Costco would disappear as well....

;)

Walmart, ugh!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."