Gosh!!! Any Punk/New Wave/Dark Wave music fans in UMAland?!?

Started by marsattacks666, June 20, 2011, 02:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonshadow

Quote from: Wicked Lester on June 30, 2011, 03:05:44 AM
WOW Hep! intellectual kitty that you are that is a newbie move. Try again you get a Monopoly free chance card O/W you are toast.

You're kidding. The Ramones were the godfathers of punk. Without them, there's no Sex Pistols, no Clash...who knows how many bands they inspired. That early UK tour is what got the brits going.

The Ramones, the Stooges, MC5, New York Dolls -the very beginnings of punk, both music and attitude.

CreepysFan

Quote from: Moonshadow on June 30, 2011, 04:06:13 AM
The Ramones, the Stooges, MC5, New York Dolls -the very beginnings of punk, both music and attitude.

THE LADY HAS TASTE !  Never really lisnened to MC5 much, but slam danced to the others on many occation.  The Stooges are classic.  Lost some respect for you W.L., dissing the Ramones.  The Ramones are the GODS of punk, followed close by The Misfits and The Clash. 
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Wicked Lester

Not dissing the Ramones. Just saying just because they were early on doesn't mean they were the best. I consider them punk pop.
N.Y Dolls are early glam rock not punk.
There so many variations of punk just like with metal and other forms of music it's hard to keep track of them all.
Comparing the Ramones to the Sex Pistols is like Metallic to Slayer.
I gotta get to work. Later

Inkfink

I guess these guys might have been post New Wave but, they're sound resonated with me...

Wall of Voodoo - Back In Flesh (live)

zombiehorror

WOW Hep! intellectual kitty that you are that is a newbie move. Try again you get a Monopoly free chance card O/W you are toast.

Newbie move??!?!?  This is a punk thread isn't it!?!?  The Ramones are punk are they not?!?

Quote from: Wicked Lester on June 30, 2011, 11:51:40 AM
Not dissing the Ramones. Just saying just because they were early on doesn't mean they were the best. I consider them punk pop.
N.Y Dolls are early glam rock not punk.
There so many variations of punk just like with metal and other forms of music it's hard to keep track of them all.
I gotta get to work. Later

This wasn't a thread titled, "Who is the best punk band?", it was a thread for lovers of punk rock!  Well I'm pretty sure a large majority of punk rock fans like The Ramones no matter what some want to sub-label them as.  I love how everybody tries to redefine punk for their own taste.  The originators of Punk magazine certainly thought The Ramones were "punk" enough with Joey being featured on the third issue but they also include Patti Smith, Lou Reed, New York Dolls, MC5 and a host of others that aren't the average definition of punk today.  Punk wasn't really about any particular sound (or way of dressing) it was about artists that were pushing boundaries be it with speed (the tempo not the drug), lyrics or antics on stage.  You can lambast the Ramones all you want for being "pop" but to somehow look down on someone else for posting them in a punk thread is nonsense.

Personally I don't consider Green Day punk but there are plenty of folks out there, both young and old, that would say otherwise and if a video was posted here of them I wouldn't call someone a poser for doing so....now I may educate them with a few videos from classic punk rockers but that's about it.

Quote from: Wicked Lester on June 30, 2011, 11:51:40 AM

Huh?!?  Ramones and Sex Pistols are both punk no matter the sub-label you want to tag them with!  Metallica is heavy metal, Slayer is death metal.  Which sure are both metal but they're metal in the way that thrash and punk are related.  Now I have heard people label bands like Motley Crue or Def Leppard as metal and either one of those two would make a better choice for the "pop" argument.  A lot of early punk to me is just a variation of what was already out their and as I previously stated was only defined as punk due to the content of their lyrics and their attitudes, they weren't worried about being p.c. just to sell some albums.  Velvet Underground, Patti Smith, Death, MC5, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, New York Dolls, even Iggy and the Stooges sound a lot like; The Rolling Stones, The Animals, Hendrix, and other bands from the 60's.  The Ramones though, they were really the first band to do "punk", they were punk rock, there was nothing like them before and therefore no true sound to punk rock before them.  Now if punk got heavier or someone made it more "sinister?" it was only because they built on their style.  Would the "sound" of "punk" have ever happened without The Ramones?  Would bands like The Misfits, Black Flag, Sex Pistols, Clash (who to me is a way better example of an early "pop" take on punk), oh hell let's just say any "punk" band since the Ramones have evolved without The Ramones since they were all building off what they created!?!

Hepcat

Not only were the Ramones perhaps the very first band that could properly be called punk, they were key to defining the punk genre. The Ramones sought to return rock music to the two and a half minute singles that were played on Top Forty stations up to the mid sixties. Punk rock was thus really a rebellion against the excesses that had crept up in rock by the mid-seventies, e.g. instrumental noodling and hotdogging, songs as long as album sides, bands touring with full-fledged symphony orchestras in tow, art rock, stadium rock, Queen, Electric Light Orchestra, Yes etc. Punk heralded a return to simplicity. It was nihilism pure and simple. As Sid Vicious said to Freddie "Aren't you that Freddie Saturn bloke who's trying to bring ballet to the masses?" As such, punk was young kids rebellion against their older flower children siblings.

Excesses of course quickly developed within punk itself, e.g. safety pins, razor blades, Mohawks. And some later bands, e.g. Clash, Dead Kennedys, sought to introduce a political element to punk. But political posturing betrayed the very ideals of punk since the movement was based on nihilism, pure and simple.

;)
Collecting! It's what I do!

zombiehorror

Quote from: Hepcat on June 30, 2011, 03:16:48 PM
Excesses of course quickly developed in punk itself, e.g. safety pins, razor blades, Mohawks. And some later bands, e.g. Clash, Dead Kennedys, sought to introduce a political element to punk. This betrayed the ideals of punk since the movement was based on nihilism, pure and simple.

;)

I dunno about that MC5 were pretty political,  the band Death had a song called Politicians In My Eyes and I'm sure there are other examples.  Punk and politics were always bedfellows in some way.

Thought about this while grocery shopping; Even The Ramones had their political statements with Havana Affair and Bonzo Goes to Bitburg, at least I've always interpreted these as being political statements!

Wicked Lester

First let me say that I did NOT diss the Ramones. All I said was I consider them punk pop or punk light as it were comparatively.
I also was NOT dissing Hep for his choice. I guess I really don't joke or banter with you guys much ,which in fact is what I was doing. I have a bit of a sarcastic sense of humor so when you re-read my earlier post there will be a smiley face so no one else goes on a rant.

BTW , I never got into the "fun" punk or funny punk aside from skate or surf punk. Was heavily into bands that had social/political commentary.

Yea we could go on all day on what bands are punk and what type but this ain't the thread for it.
And by the way Slayer is a thrash band not death metal. 8)

Later

Hepcat

One of my favourite punk bands with their signature hit "Baby, Baby":

The Vibrators - Baby Baby (original version)

Here it is remastered:

The Vibrators - Baby Baby (REMASTERED)

Finally an alternate take:

The Vibrators - Baby Baby

I saw them perform at the New Yorker Cinema on Yonge Street in 1977. Give me another decade or two and I should be entirely over the experience.

:o
Collecting! It's what I do!

marsattacks666

Quote from: Moonshadow on June 30, 2011, 04:06:13 AM
You're kidding. The Ramones were the godfathers of punk. Without them, there's no Sex Pistols, no Clash...who knows how many bands they inspired. That early UK tour is what got the brits going.

Wow! What have I missed! My sentiments.........exactly.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

marsattacks666

Quote from: charp13 on June 24, 2011, 12:18:15 AM
Yes, yes mars, I listen to some old school and some new punk. It all started in the summer of 1977, when I was 15- my friend and I were sitting in the living room while her dad was watching 60 Minutes (barf) and they were talking about how horrible and insulting this new band -The Sex Pistols- were and they played a clip of G_d Save the Queen!!  That was all she wrote! We walked around singing those 2 lines from the song, until our record store got the record!
And the rest is our family history.....I raised my 2 offspring on Black Flag, Social Distortion, Misfits,etc. And I never had a minute of trouble from either child! Neither drank, smoked, or drugged, in fact- my son wore Xs on his hand for 3 years of high school, and had a straightedge band of his own. So, I guess I owe a lot to punk rock. 
Now that I'm ooooolder, I usually listen to Social D., Operation Ivy, Rancid, US Bombs, Misfits, etc.   I'm too old for the New Wave era, but I love Horrorcore.

I'm probably the only straight-edge musician of all my punk friends. But, that's okay. They are great friends, and don't
bother me about. My first punk LP was BLAG FLAG; damaged. I play in a punk/darkwave/goth band.....and will always
love punk rock in all forms.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

marsattacks666

Wicked Lester

zombiehorror

I love these f'n (sorry for anyone offended by the name) guys!!  Discovered them a few years ago!  I believe they've only been around since the 2000's but you'd never know it listening to them.

Big f&*%ing Skull (Six Skulls Againts the World)

Big f&*%in' Skull - Six Skulls ....

zombiehorror

The Adicts - Joker in the pack

Articles of Faith - My Father's Dreams ( 82 )

These guys may be to commercial for some tastes but I remember being up late one Saturday night (back in 94 or 95) watching the USA network and all of a sudden this video comes on;

Rancid- Salvation

I was an instant fan!  Their first couple of albums are straight up punk inspired but later offerings get into ska, raggae (which Tim Armstrong & Matt Freeman did previously in Operation Ivy), rockabilly and pretty much the kitchen sink if they thought they could use it.

Lars Frederiksen (guitar and shared vocal duties for Rancid) went on to form a side band, Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards which also has some pretty cool tunes!
Lars Frederiksen And The Bastards - Skins Punx And Drunx

Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards - To Have and to Have Not