Showcase your Aurora figure kits here!

Started by Hepcat, March 31, 2011, 11:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: LFSPaul on March 15, 2014, 04:48:06 PM
My Monster Hot Rods!

What happened to your hot rods? I don't see them. Did you take them outside as targets for your BB gun?

???

Hepcat

Here's an ad for one of Aurora's Great Moments in Sport kits that appeared on the back cover of DC comics cover dated  December 1965/January 1966:

Very cool!

8)

Universal Steve

Quote from: Mark McGovern on May 07, 2015, 01:15:00 PM
Guys,

I understand the collecting mania perfectly well, and more power to ya if you want to maintain a stack of virgin plastic-wrapped kit boxes than finished models.  But for me, I don't care a rat's patootie about whether a model is MIB or not.  Once I get my epoxy putty-encrusted, hobby knife-scarred mitts on a kit, I want to build it.

Here are some photos of my Aurora monster models.  You'll find many more on my web site: http://www.mcgovernsmodels.com/.  And my compliments to the work of all you other builders who posted photos in this thread!

Such an impressive display you created for the monsters! Great paint jobs too. The base you made for Big Frankie is just nothing short of a great idea. Excellent work. A tip of the hat to you.
Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

Lazarus

BijouBob8mm

Mark McGovern, that's some incredible work.  Dropping by the website in the link you shared, there's even more great stuff.  That may be the most Sean Connery-looking build I've seen of the old Aurora James Bond kit.

Hepcat

Here's an ad for an Aurora kit that appeared on the back cover of DC comics cover dated May/June 1967:

8)

BijouBob8mm

While it may not be gallant to discuss a lady's enhancements, I really like the tweaking to that BRIDE kit.

Mark McGovern

Quote from: BijouBob8mm on May 05, 2016, 06:55:39 PM
While it may not be gallant to discuss a lady's enhancements, I really like the tweaking to that BRIDE kit.
BB8,

Since the enhancements were made to the base and not the Bride herself, we'll consider your gallantry intact.  ;)  And I appreciate your comment about the James Bond figure.  Most of the resemblance to Sean Connery was achieved with artists oils and careful reference to photos of him in Goldfinger (1964).  But I think what really brings home the model's likeness to the actor is that little lock of hair drooping on the forehead.  That was created with a couple applications of white glue; as the saying goes, "Little things mean a lot".

Thank you all for your kind words about my work.
I build, therefore I am.

Hepcat

Here's a good write-up on the Aurora monster model kits and James Bama's artwork:

Frankenstein by James Bama - Dial B for Blog

Unfortunately, the fellow doesn't have as much expertise in comics as he does in James Bama's artwork and the article contains a few factual errors:

Quote from: Dial B for BlogThis ad, or one like it, was seen on the back cover of nearly every DC comic for many years...

Many years! Actually only the DC comics hitting the newsstands in September 1963.

Quote from: Dial B for BlogThis ad for the model ran on the back cover of countless comic books...

Hardly countless. I count 32:

DC Newstand December 1964 - Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics

Quote from: Dial B for BlogAfter Frankie's car got its own model, his bride demanded equal time. She soon got her wish....

Wrong order. The Bride of Frankenstein kit was issued in 1965 while Frankenstein's Flivver wasn't released until 1966.

cl:)

Herr Hussmann

Beautifully painted models, Universal Steve. I like the added accessory to the Bride model.

Hepcat

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: propman on December 01, 2012, 04:29:06 AM
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/propman1/011.jpg[/img]]

thank you so much for posting this image
it helped me get an idea of the size of the original Marvel models next to the DC one's
plus it confirmed for me that Hulk is still big for Spider-Man

YoungestMonsterKid

Superman is original, small Spider-Man is Comic Scenes but with some replacement pieces I wiped together quick
all the rest are reissues
I only start back in early 2015 so that should explain the uh, quality of these

Hepcat

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on February 18, 2017, 12:44:21 AMI only start back in early 2015 so that should explain the uh, quality of these

Huh?! They look just right to my eyes as a monster kid.

???