Showcase your Aurora figure kits here!

Started by Hepcat, March 31, 2011, 11:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LFSPaul

Thanks I appreciate it guys, I love my Monster Hot Rods. I commissioned Jay Holopeter to do a new Creatures Crate I plan to kit at some point.

jimm

Hepcat

Quote from: LFSPaul on March 23, 2014, 02:26:02 AMI love my Monster Hot Rods. I commissioned Jay Holopeter to do a new Creatures Crate I plan to kit at some point.

It would be advisable for the box art of any commercial release of this kit though to mimic James Bama's style.

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mcdee

Remember, it's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!

Hepcat

Here's a scan of the ad for the Aurora Tarzan kit from the back cover of the DC comics that were on newstands in September 1967:

8)

Jim Bertges

I just finished this batch of Auroras and Aurora re-issues. It was a total of 2 weeks from assembly to final paint. What do you think?

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Jethro

They look great Jim.  Nothing funner than a 60's kid build Aurora stuff! Not sure if you are a 60's kid.  I for one are one of the fortunate ones.

Hepcat

Quote from: Jim Bertges on March 27, 2014, 09:07:49 PMI just finished this batch of Auroras and Aurora re-issues. It was a total of 2 weeks from assembly to final paint. What do you think?

I'm constantly amazed at the level of detail you fellows achieve with your paint jobs. Did you use a regular paint brush?

???

Mord

Wait...what head did you use for the Dracula? That's Bela.

1/6thtoyz

Quote from: Jim Bertges on March 27, 2014, 09:07:49 PM
I just finished this batch of Auroras and Aurora re-issues. It was a total of 2 weeks from assembly to final paint. What do you think?

They looked very nice! It took me two weeks to finish Frank, your good.

jimm

2 weeks for the whole batch, takes me longer to unwrap them... Looks great!

RedKing

Crazy am I? We'll see if I'm crazy or not!

Kenneth

Those look fantastic! You ARE a fast worker!

CultofPersonality

Maybe Jim can chime in here, but I believe the Lugosi head is the Thomas Kuntz sculpt put out by Diceman about 15 years-or-so ago.
       Tom
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Jim Bertges

First of all, thanks to everyone for your kind comments. It really means a lot that you've taken the time to have a look at my work.

Next, Hep, I use many paint brushes and a variety of techniques, everything from rattle can spray to washes and dry brushing. My mantra has become, "Wash, dry brush, wash", it helps blend things together.

Tom, I'm pretty sure you're right, that Bela head is from Diceman. I had it laying around for years and finally decided to use it. When you mentioned it, I was reminded of where it was from.

If anyone is interested, these kits are all at Creature Features in Burbank and may even be offered by them on line. I'm kinda sorry I didn't get to keep them, but I promised to help fill their Classic Plastic case.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely a 60s monster kid. Built my first Aurora Frankenstein in 1963 and never looked back.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.