MonsterKid Photo Archive-The Magical History Tour!

Started by Scatter, January 09, 2011, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monolith

Thanks for the comments everyone!

CreepysFan--- that photo of you in the suitcase with the chocolate bar is the best!

Charp13--- I have some photos of me making faces, too. We want to see the photos of you making faces!

Bigbud--- My dad didn't usually look like Kevin Spacey but in that picture he totally does, now that you mention it! That's funny.

Illoman--- That's a really great photo of your mom on her horse. My mom is also in a nursing home and also suffered a couple of strokes. And she also suffers from dimentia sometimes.

charp13

Oh Illoman! That picture is so magical!! I forget scenes like that really existed-  the beautiful horse, the soft road, the car, and the people are just so telling of the time and place. Do you know what area of the country the picture was taken in?  I've never been around horses before, but if my world suddenly changed, I would want one exactly like that one. Your mother looks so graceful and naturally lovely in the picture. I'm so glad you have these photos. I'm kind of in the same boat, finding discarded pictures that my dad (who is a perfectly healthy 67 year old) has decided to throw out to make room for the things that he thinks are important. Some people put very little value on these precious photos, I don't know why- they take up very little room!  But I am happy as a clam to find these old polaroids and crumbling pics and distribute them to the younger members of my family, who find them to be worth more than gold.  I just found 2 crappy poloroids of me and one of my cousins featured in the foreground and sent it to her via Facebook private message and she practically did cartwheels with excitement! I told her I was worried something bad might happen to me because I was fading out in the photo, but she was soo happy to get 1 little picture of herself at 4 years old!!    so cool

Illoman

Thanks, Charp! I appreciate your comments. She grew up in Blanchester, Ohio near Cincinnati which is where that and these photos were taken. She evidently also had a pony named Billy, and here's her dog Tippie riding Billy!

My mom's dad died before she was born, and her mother died when she was nine. She was raised by her mom's sister and her husband. I don't have any photos of her biological mother, but I keep hoping. This photo was pretty sobering to me. Her step-parents loved her as their daughter, which is evident by the cards and letters that have survived. When you look at the differences in their ages, you have to wonder how could she relate to them, being an only child on top of it. It really saddens me to think about it.

Thanks for allowing me to share these treasures with you. I appreciate it.

Moonshadow

Illoman, your photos of your mom are really amazing. I know as I've grown older, and especially after my Mom died, old photos like these really mean so much more. It's like finally in my adulthood I am able to see past the person I knew, growing up, and start to understand who she was, as a young woman, and as a child. I've been working with my cousins to get my hands on all the old family photos we can find and scan them and put them on CDs. We're still working on it. Your photos really capture a time, place, feeling...thank you for sharing these.

Illoman

Thanks, Moonshadow. I've enjoyed seeing everyone's photos as well. I hope I don't wear out my welcome by sharing one more. This is my brother Jim's (standing) god-parents, and their kids. I'm on the far right holding my Mickey Mouse Rub-Ons. Remember those? Great toy that you could enjoy once and then pitch! LOL!! I'm not sure if my little bother appreciated getting Mary Poppins or not! The gentleman standing just passed away last year, and I see his wife every once in a great while. He was a barber who gave me my first haircut. He always had the best comic books to read, and with two brothers you can bet I had time to sit in his shop and read! When they moved south of town her dance studio was adjacent to his barbershop. I remember them as always being extremely nice, pleasant people.

Hepcat

Quote from: CreepysFan on January 23, 2011, 05:22:50 PM
Here is the infamous Pufnstuf outfit. (yellow shirt / brown pants)[/left]

Love the beagle!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: Illoman on January 29, 2011, 12:44:49 PM
This is my brother Jim's (standing) god-parents, and their kids. I'm on the far right holding my Mickey Mouse Rub-Ons. Remember those? Great toy that you could enjoy once and then pitch! LOL!! I'm not sure if my little bother appreciated getting Mary Poppins or not!

I'm sure your little brother would enjoy getting his hands on Mary Poppins these days though.... Love the pic!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

CreepysFan

Quote from: Illoman on January 29, 2011, 12:44:49 PM
I hope I don't wear out my welcome by sharing one more.
Mike, I'm sure I speak for most of us in saying the more great old family pictures you post, the more welcome you are.  For my part, I'm loving this thread.  Please everyone, post MORE, MORE. 
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

CreepysFan

Quote from: Illoman on January 29, 2011, 12:30:04 PM
Thanks, Charp! I appreciate your comments. She grew up in Blanchester, Ohio near Cincinnati which is where that and these photos were taken. She evidently also had a pony named Billy, and here's her dog Tippie riding Billy!

Mike, I'm really surprised the dog stayed on the pony long enough to take the picture, or that the pony allowed the dog to remain there without someone standing beside him.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Scatter

WOW!! This just keeps getting better and better!! Thanks everybody!! Mike, no way you can wear out your welcome. Keep posting brother, those are some terrific pics!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Monolith

Illoman---Yes, keep the photo's coming, we love 'em. that's what this thread is for. Those are great photos! I used to have those Superman Rub Ons and a Popeye set, too.

Here's one more from my family- It's my older siblings (I'm #4 of 5). This is Christmas 1961 I believe. My two brothers each got their own Great Garloo's!!
It was a two Garloo Christmas.

Illoman

Man, that had to be one of the very first Flintstones' t-shirts! Great, great shot. Love the Christmas tree. Did you have a color wheel on it?

Monolith

Yes! We did have a color wheel on the tree. In fact I remember of seeing that color wheel stored in either the garage or the cellar up until about 1980.

Illoman

Quote from: Monolith on January 29, 2011, 09:58:10 PM
Yes! We did have a color wheel on the tree. In fact I remember of seeing that color wheel stored in either the garage or the cellar up until about 1980.

I remember us having a silver tree like that with a color wheel. Most of the time we had a live tree. I remember the sharp needles!

Illoman

This is from Christmas 1968. I am playing with my Mr. Ed talking hand puppet, while my brother behind me plays with his Bozo the Clown and Topo Gigio puppets. I am happy to say all the puppets live in my studio to this day! Bozo and Mr Ed don't talk any more, though...