Weird-Ohs Items!

Started by Hepcat, January 07, 2011, 04:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

The success of the Hawk Weird-Ohs line of model kits spawned many other items. I'm aware of these:

1. A Marx Nutty Mad series of statues.

2. Two Leaf card sets, Weird-Ohs and Baseball Weird-Ohs.

3.  A series of six decals individually wrapped in cellophane.

4. Ideal Weird-Ohs board game.

6. A binder.

7. A Weird-Ohs/Silly Surfers record album.

8. A Weird-Ohs store display mobile.

But what have I missed? Were there not magic slates, puzzles and other Weird-Ohs toys? How about store display posters?

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

foolish mortal

I don't know much about these items, cool as they are, but please tell me you like...
The Ventures, Dick Dale, Horten Heat, and of course the Stray Cats ;)

MDG

I believe that there are masks, and there's definitely a helmet. And Dick Smith's monster makeup book sold through FM has instructions to make yourself up as a Weird-Oh--it even made the cover.

I think I saw a bagatelle game (a pinball-type thing using marbles) on eBay a while back.

And about 10 years ago, there was some weird-oh merchandise put out to coincide with a CGI tv series, but it never really caught on. (I think Taco Bell or another second tier fast food did a tie-in).
MDG

GAKENSTEIN

My brothers and I had small (approx. (9x12x3) vinyl brief cases with Weird-Ohs colorfully printed on the top.  I remember a yellow one, a red one, and possibly a black one.  They were cool as hell.
"Supernatural perhaps, baloney perhaps not!"

Scary Terry

Foolish mortal: There is a small number of members here who dig rockabilly, psychobilly, surf, etc.   We are largely outnumbered by metal fans -- but we all get along!
Scary Terry
www.terrybeatty.blogspot.com

Scary Terry

There's a Weird-oh's ring binder shown in the "Wallets" thread of the "Monster Toys" category.
Scary Terry
www.terrybeatty.blogspot.com

Hepcat

Quote from: foolish mortal on January 07, 2011, 04:40:04 PM
I don't know much about these items, cool as they are, but please tell me you like...
The Ventures, Dick Dale, Horten Heat, and of course the Stray Cats ;)

Well I like the Ventures, but my favourite pop musicians are the Rolling Stones, Doors, Cream, Blondie, Animals, Who, Kinks, Yardbirds, Troggs, Zombies, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, ? & the Mysterians, Jethro Tull, David Bowie, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Jeff Beck Group, James Brown, Buddy Guy, Jr. Walker & the All-Stars, Supremes, Four Tops, B-52's, etc.

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

jimm

bigbud

There's Weird-oh original art! Bill Campbell is a great guy and painter!

Gasport

BONER INDUCING STUFF! Love all things Rat Fink, Weird Oh's & Kustom Kulture!

bigbud

If I have the chronology right, the Weird-ohs were first, and became so popular that Marx created the Nutty Mads.......right?  Bud

Gasport

I was under the impression Ed Roth kicked the whole monster hot rod thing off and the Weird Oh's soon followed. Am i wrong??

marsattacks666

Quote from: Scary Terry on January 07, 2011, 08:25:38 PM
Foolish mortal: There is a small number of members here who dig rockabilly, psychobilly, surf, etc.   We are largely outnumbered by metal fans -- but we all get along!

Nicely put, Terry. Myself, being a musician who plays and digs surf, rockabilly, psychobilly, punk, thrash and metal,
one doesn't have to like or love surf music to appreciate the Weird-Ohs. Weird-ohs kick butt. ;)
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

foolish mortal

Glad to see there are some rockabilly,surf, and rock n' roll fans on here. ;) Its so funny, these items just scream rockabilly and surf to me when I see them :laugh: Awesome!

bigbud

Hey Gasport, I hadn't really given it much thought. The cool stuff that jump-started the 60's monster stuff, in my memory, were the Aurora monster kits, the Rat Fink Roth kits, the Weird-oh models and figures, and the Nutty Mads, also the lesser known MPC Uglies...................Not exactly sure what the order of appearance was......Bud