Richard A. Olson

Started by Richard, December 11, 2010, 01:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

My Dad, Richard A. Olson, passed away today at 5:20 PM CST. It was not unexpected, as advanced colon cancer has few options for survival. We did SO much together, he and I, that it would be impossible to describe all here. I can't imagine anyone having a better father.

I played guitar this morning, at the funeral of Penny Marlow (sister-in-law of my best friend.) Penny was killed in an auto accident last Sunday and I really wanted to be a part of the service as she was my friend too. It was a beautiful and emotional funeral service. Before the service, I was told my Dad was given only a couple hours to live. But He allowed me enough time to play for Penny's funeral and then drive 60 miles north to be with him. My brother and I were with him holding his hands when he died.

I picture here the very first two monster items I ever had. Given to me by my Dad. With love.

This battered Aurora Wolf Man was my choice at an Edina, Minnesota hobby shop in 1962 (There was Frankenstein, Dracula, or Wolf Man~ I could only have one kit since they were 98 cents each). My Dad said I could open the kit in the car. As my Mother and Brother slept in the back seat, I sat up front with my Dad as we drove home that night (about a 4 hour trip). I carefully opened the kit, smelling the fresh Aurora plastic and scanning the box contents with a flashlight, very excited with my new treasure. My Dad told me about the Wolf Man as he drove. He had seen the Wolf Man movies as a kid and described how a strange flower caused a scientist to become the Wolf Man and how he had a big battle with Frankenstein. Obviously, my Dad was mixing two different Universal pictures into one but he was enthusiastic and I loved listening to his tales of the Wolf Man all the way home.

This Castle of Frankenstein #2 is my first monster magazine. My Dad purchased it at small corner grocery in town while he was buying a box of donuts and a can of coffee for his gas station. He gave it to me as soon as he got back to the station. I had mentioned how great it was seeing some monster magazines that my new best friend (Bob Driscoll) showed me and how I wished I had one. My Dad heard my plea and came through~and started me on a long journey of monster collecting.

The picture is my Dad at 20 years old in 1947.
Love you, Dad. And I miss you very, very much right now.
Your son

Jim Bertges

Richard, you have my deepest sympathies and condolences. This must be a very difficult time, but the memories you shared and the many more you have will keep your father and your friend Penny alive in you. People always say, "if there's anything I can do to help..." well, I'm saying it to you and I mean it. If I can do anything to help you through, please let me know.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Monster Bob

So sorry to hear of the death of your Father, Richard, you have my sincere condolences. This is a very tough time of year to lose a parent. I lost my Mom seven years ago on December 8 (my birthday), and it still feels like it just happened yesterday. Ironically, there are times that she feels closer to me now than when she was actually here in the flesh.

The connection you have with your Dad and your childhood passion for movie monsters is precious and wonderful. I hope you find some comfort in the fact that we, your brothers and sisters, are thinking of you at this very difficult time. 

Peace and love to you, Richard.

Toy Ranch

Richard, I'm very sorry for your loss.  A very touching post you have made, and photo you have posted, and I think that we all have gained some appreciation for who he was, and what he meant to you.  You and your family will be in my thoughts. 

monsterphile

Richard,

Sorry to hear about your Dad.   He was special as a Monster Dad because not only did he start and foster your love of monsters, but unlike most parents, didn't make you chuck those precious items when you got older.  That is why your collection is what it is today.  Not only is it your collection, but it a tribute to you and your dad, and the special bond and relationship that you shared.  Even though most of us never met him, we are saddened by the loss of such a man.

Rob

LundyAfterMidnight

My heartfelt thoughts & prayers go out to you & your family. Please try your best to go forward, knowing how blessed you are to have this great man as a father.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Illoman

Richard, I pray God will give you peace throughout this time. Thanks for sharing those wonderful memories about your Dad.

Mike

packy120353

My friend Richard,
I'm terribly sad for your loss and wish I could take some of your heartache. Please accept my condolences and know you are in our thoughts and prayers.
You probably have a little running around to do, please be careful in this horrid blizzard.
Mental Monster hug, Paul

ramsey37

My condolences during this difficult time, Richard.
George
Where apathy is master, all men are slaves.

typhooforme

Dear Richard--My heart aches for you and your family.  Know that you have my sincere sympathy.  Four years ago this past Thanksgiving you comforted me when I lost my mom--I wish I were not returning that favor so soon respecting you and your father.  Your dad sounds like a great guy--you were a lucky kid to have a monster dad.  After his final troubles here, we can take comfort in his rest now.  I hope he's meeting his favorite movie stars right now and talking to them about his film-fan son.
Robert in Ohio

"I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Big Swan

richard,
    you have my deepest sympathies.i know he is looking down on you and smiling as you share your monster memories.
"It's the soul of the business"

poseablemonster

Dear Richard,
Such a beautiful memorial for your father.  It makes me think of my father and how he gave me my first two Aurora Monster kits - Creature and Wolf Man - and I understand what you mean.  My deepest condolences for you at this difficult time.  Here's wishing I could give you back one of those big monster hugs right now, my friend.
Andy

Moonshadow

Richard,

I am so sorry to read of your loss. Losing a parent is a devastating thing, I know. I am so touched by your memorial to your father here. I am glad you are remembering those good times and I hope you can keep those close in your mind and heart.

Karen

Mike Scott

Dear Richard,

My warmest sympathies on the loss of your father and your friend and thank you for that wonderful memory of your monster fan beginnings. I hope all of your many friends, here, bring you some small comfort today.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Scatter

Richard, my heart is just broken hearing this news. Deepest sympathies and heartfelt prayers from all of us.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html