Show your Monster Collection(s)

Started by hhwolfman, December 01, 2007, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPFXTED

Yes, he does great stuff! I'm trying to get as many original oil paintings as I can.

gracebuster

Hey Ted, welcome aboard!!!! It's great to have you here, finally.

Best,
Danny Roebuck

SPFXTED

Thanks! Glad to be aboard, Captain! thrhrt

klung1

Quote from: Wicked Lester on December 12, 2009, 11:09:45 PM
I enjoyed these so much I did a search. ALOT of this stuff is available at a great price on his website.
Good thing X-mas is coming.
http://www.cartuneland.com/Pages/Posters.html

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I sure hope Frazetta is getting some royalties on the sale of some of those prints...
I know imitation is a form of flattery, but a lot of these kind of take it to the extreme.

Wicked Lester

Quote from: klung1 on December 13, 2009, 09:10:23 PM
I don't mean to be a jerk, but I sure hope Frazetta is getting some royalties on the sale of some of those prints...
I know imitation is a form of flattery, but a lot of these kind of take it to the extreme.

Would you say the same thing about Ken Kelly? I understand that he trained under Frazetta.

klung1

There are absolutely similarities between Frazetta and Ken Kelly. They both share a sense of form and action that have become familiar to the "Fantasy" art form.
But you have to admit many of these images are incredibly like those of Frazetta, down to pose, subject and color palette.
I don't question his skill or his craft, I'm simply noting that some of his work seems to cross the line from inspiration to duplication. I don't think that's the case with Mr. Kelly.

SPFXTED

I guess ya all heard the Frazetta story by now. Sheesh!!

monsterphile

Quote from: SPFXTED on December 15, 2009, 12:05:59 AM
I guess ya all heard the Frazetta story by now. Sheesh!!

At the UMA, we keep our finger on the pulse of what's happening.  Sometimes we have our fangs on the pulse, too.

Rob

P.S. Ted,  I didn't see any of the Deadly Spawn in your photos.  Did any of them survive over the years?  I remember watching THE DEADLY SPAWN years ago in the days when my friends and I used to rent videotapes.

SPFXTED

Thanks.. :o.like I don't feel old enough....

Gasport

Hey Ted! We just put up our tree and made sure to perch our Santa Ted ornament that we won at the Chiller auction a couple of years ago in a place of prominence...great to see you here! So how's Lou Ferrigno doin?
                                Happy Holidays,
                                                         Mike Gilks

SPFXTED

lol...don't get me started!
Happy Holidays !!

marsattacks666

Quote from: Wicked Lester on December 13, 2009, 09:20:44 PM
Would you say the same thing about Ken Kelly? I understand that he trained under Frazetta.

Maybe I'm taking this way out of context, and the subjext is Monster Rooms  But, Frank Frazetta's work is iconic and a great abundance of artist have copied his style. As for Ken Kelly, in my opinion his style leans more towards Boris Vallejo. Here's the part were it gets ugly......Ken Kelly is a wannabe Vallejo clone, and as far as I'm concerned Vallejo and Frazetta's AMAZING work can never be surpassed. They are, and will always be the best of the best in Fantasy art. Ken Kelly to me well, he will only be know for two of the most famous album covers of all time. KISS's Destroyer and Love Gun LPs....and that's it.  Sorry. :(
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Illoman

Can't agree with you on Boris Vallejo's work. His stuff looks too much like people dressed up in costumes. Frazetta and Kelly's work at least "look" like they belong in an alternate universe. Boris' stuff is too posed for my tastes. His older, looser work was much better than the pseudo-photo realism stuff he's doing now. If it's fantasy, it should look like fantasy. His pencil work is really nice, but a lot of his work is just boring to me.

Mike

GAKENSTEIN

QuoteCan't agree with you on Boris Vallejo's work. His stuff looks too much like people dressed up in costumes. Frazetta and Kelly's work at least "look" like they belong in an alternate universe. Boris' stuff is too posed for my tastes. His older, looser work was much better than the pseudo-photo realism stuff he's doing now. If it's fantasy, it should look like fantasy. His pencil work is really nice, but a lot of his work is just boring to me.

Right as rain, Mike.  Frazetta is a true artist.  Vallejo,  although extremely talented, is an illustrator.
"Supernatural perhaps, baloney perhaps not!"

SPFXTED

Frank and Boris were and are good friends of mine. I love both their works!