Show your Monster Collection(s)

Started by hhwolfman, December 01, 2007, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toy Ranch

Very cool, Mike.  Love the NMBC stuff!

poseablemonster

Hey, a fellow Tim Burton fan!  I have a lot of NMB4C stuff, too, just no room to display it properly.  You have a wonderfully presented collection, Mike.  Thanks for the pics!

Morkai

Great collection you have Mike. I have seen that you also likes the Puppet Master's toys!!! Me too. I love Puppet Master and Empire/Fullmoon pictures :)

mike c

Thanks for the nice words, guys. I suppose the main reason I have them so neatly presented is that I wouldn't be ALLOWED to show them any other way... my wife would simply tear it down!
Morkai, nice eagle eye there... I only have a few PuppetMaster things, but I've been a fan of Charles and Richard Band's productions since the days of Empire.
Anyway, it's nice to hear compliments on my little collection from the Big Guys in here, hahah! 

Mike C.

mike c

Just an aside here, regarding displaying our collections...
Now I know the figures in these pics aren't Universal Monsters, but the way I lit them is what I wanted to show:

A 9v ('wall-wart') power adapter, some speaker wire, a handful of .25c LEDs and resistors, and a soldering iron. Makes the shelf come to life... and I hope to do it to my Universal Monster shelves soon. Easy peasy, and fun to aim and set up.
What's really nice is the UV/blacklight LEDs (okay, they're more than .25c, sorry) worked perfectly for the Haunted Mansion ghosts because they're painted with UV paint.

At any rate, don't mean to derail the thread, but thought some input on how we display our things couldn't hurt. :-)

Mike C.

hhwolfman

Quote from: gracebuster on February 09, 2008, 06:46:02 AM
Sometimes when we get together it just seems like a GAY OL" TIME!

Both married with kids, btw! So don't get any funny ideas!!!!!!!

LOL Yeah I hope we didn't get much drool in the Glass. Bob Morris Owns that glass now.  ;D

Monster Bob

Yep...drool and all...I'm gonna get Dan cloned!

Monster Bob

Hey Mike-

Your mini Haunted Mansion is great!

fmofmpls

That's a great photo of you guys. Something tells me you weren't drinking skim milk from that glass either. That something would be "Howard Harris". I don't think the guy's ever even tasted milk!  :D
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Minion

I noticed my computer had a panarama program so I did this testing it out

mike c

Excellent masks... the 'Happy Happy Halloween! Silver Shamrock!' masks are looking good... just a great layout!

Mike C.

ProfGriffin

Holy SPIT Mike....

Those are beautiful!  No apologies necessary...thanks for sharing that!  Man I love that.  You recreated the look of the ride effortlessly.

Please tell me more.  Are they on a free shelf (wall shelf) or part of another display?
Love the back lighting.

Quote from: mike c on February 12, 2008, 06:07:58 AM
Just an aside here, regarding displaying our collections...
Now I know the figures in these pics aren't Universal Monsters, but the way I lit them is what I wanted to show:

A 9v ('wall-wart') power adapter, some speaker wire, a handful of .25c LEDs and resistors, and a soldering iron. Makes the shelf come to life... and I hope to do it to my Universal Monster shelves soon. Easy peasy, and fun to aim and set up.
What's really nice is the UV/blacklight LEDs (okay, they're more than .25c, sorry) worked perfectly for the Haunted Mansion ghosts because they're painted with UV paint.

At any rate, don't mean to derail the thread, but thought some input on how we display our things couldn't hurt. :-)

Mike C.
Rest in Peace,

Prof. Griffin
Horror Historian

mike c

"Please tell me more.  Are they on a free shelf (wall shelf) or part of another display?"

They're on their own shelf, but just below the three Universal Monster shelves in the previous pics (you can see them if you hop back up to the original pics). So they are part of the larger display, I'd say.

The LED set up is pretty simple. I made a little diagram on Paint to give you the main idea:

The value of the resistors depends on the LEDs used; in my case, they're all 220 ohm, one per LED, and the whole thing is in parallel. There are LED/resistor calculators online, you just input the values of your LED and your source voltage (9v in my case), and how many LEDs you want to use, and it comes up with the correct resistor values, plus a few options for wiring up.  Such as:

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

It may seem daunting to some, but it is really easy once you start playing with it.

Of course, it's not for everybody, and certainly won't be a quick set up for larger displays... but otherwise, LEDs are cheaper, use less energy to get far more candlepower (for their size), come in a million colors and brightness values, and are just plain cool  for lighting your monsters!

Sorry (again) if this derails the thread, maybe it should be moved somewhere else...? But ya DID ask me to tell you more, haha! Hope this is a fun idea for you.

Mike C.

Penny Dreadful

I never tire of looking at this thread!  One of these days I'll post a pic of our measly monster collection.  Garou and I have some neat stuff but nowhere near as amazing and extensive as what I'm seeing here.  I'd love to get some of the vintage items some day.

~Penny~
PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Horror hostess
http://www.shillingshockers.com

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
Dark Shadows podcast
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com

fmofmpls

Wow! The things you learn around here! LEDs complete with wiring diagrams! Who needs school when your in the UMA! I love it! Thanks Mike for the small electronics tutorial. Great display BTW.
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.