Monster candy??

Started by Dr.Terror, December 12, 2007, 11:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monolith

Here's a pic of the candy that was inside the World monster boxes that I bought in the mid 1990's...

Monster Candy by donald deveau, on Flickr

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monolith on April 26, 2018, 10:44:11 PM
Here's a pic of the candy that was inside the World monster boxes that I bought in the mid 1990's...

That's candy? Looks like strips of paper. (Probably tastes like it, too!)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monolith

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 27, 2018, 12:54:13 AM
That's candy? Looks like strips of paper. (Probably tastes like it, too!)

I never ate any of it. It looks to me like a combination of sugar and chalk.

Hepcat

Well there's no way I would have been able to resist eating the candy. In fact back in 2005 or so I opened a pack of 1960 Topps Funny Valentines A cards which I'd bought for the wrapper:

I then ate the gum. It was crumbly and there was a bit of bitterness to it as well as the sweetness. Overall it wasn't very good.

cl:) 
Collecting! It's what I do!

a71678

Yep, that's what was inside the World Candy monster boxes when I was a kid. They switched from "candy sticks" (cigarettes) sometime in the mid- to late '80s when there was the big push to curb smoking in G and PG movies, ban cigarette sponsorships in major league sports, etc. They were about the same texture as Topps gum (which is to say harder than a brick) and tasted like SweeTarts, IIRC. I'm not sure when they switched back to "candy sticks," but I like them a lot better!

horrorhunter

My blow mold candy containers from the '60s:

The candy was small beads stored in the plastic tubes. I had many of these as a kid in the '60s but time ripped them away. These I bought from an eBay seller.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Monsters For Sale

That Devil looks just like the Mold-A-Rama sculpt.
ADAM

horrorhunter

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on September 02, 2018, 09:27:49 PM
That Devil looks just like the Mold-A-Rama sculpt.
Yeah, that devil sculpt saw a lot of mileage back in the day. I have a saved eBay search for "Halloween devil" and still haven't bought any others because they usually sell for more than I'm willing to pay. Love the sculpt.  >:D

>:D >:D >:D
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Proteuscrow

MadCow

Quote from: Proteuscrow on September 17, 2018, 05:00:37 AM
There's a new tie out with the Monster Candy art on it -
https://www.etsy.com/listing/640120759/monsters-necktie?ref=shop_home_active_3

That's awesome. I used to wear themed ties back in my banking days. I totally would have worn that.

horrorhunter

Chewable flavored wax Halloween items:

Nik-L-Nip wasn't monster oriented but was similar to the syrup filled wax monsters.

Like these guys...

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Oh man! I remember the Wowee Whistles, but I think they were sold loose bereft of packaging. However they were sold they're mega cool. Mmmmmmm, so good, and so good for you!

8)

Hepcat

Two of my favourite things, Cracker Jack and halloween!

8)

Hepcat

Now here's another interesting item from Freddie Poe's collection that he got from Zacherley:

The box suggests that we monster kids collect all four and Freddie surmises that Vampira, Dr. Shock and Ghoulardi were viable candidates to fill out the set. Unfortunately neither of us can tell you any more about these candy boxes. Does anybody here have any further insight with regard to their origin or contents?

???

Interesting that there's no expiry date on the $1.00 Zacherley poster offer. It should still be good therefore!

8)

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Hepcat on January 16, 2019, 06:22:52 PM
...The box suggests that we monster kids collect all four and Freddie surmises that Vampira, Dr. Shock and Ghoulardi were viable candidates to fill out the set. Unfortunately neither of us can tell you any more about these candy boxes. Does anybody here have any further insight with regard to their origin or contents?...   

Here you go:  http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=1722.msg225219#msg225219
ADAM