Rebuilding my Mask Collection

Started by Creepy, May 09, 2017, 07:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

Quote from: Gory Glenn on September 14, 2017, 06:01:49 PM
Wow, I saw that and didn't put 2 and 2 together. I feel sorry for him. He was so excited to be collecting again.

This is really depressing to see since he only started in May and was really into rebuilding his collection all summer.

Sean

I was so enjoying this thread.  I feel like I just watched a bald eagle get hit by a bus. :-[

StyreneDude

Oh no! This is terrible...he bought four masks off me. He was so excited to be collecting again.

He came up to visit me a couple times and we had lunch and talked monsters...GREAT guy.

Creepy

Quote from: Josh on September 14, 2017, 11:17:36 AM
Yeah, looks like just about everything in this thread went up on ebay yesterday

Yep. I foolishly sold most of what you saw here. I am now rebuilding it...again.  :o

The reason I sold and am currently replacing is an interesting tale worth telling. I am a widower who raised 3 kids, ones currently in the Navy, one graduated college and has a great job, and my darling daughter is a High School Junior. I was remarried for about 10 years (she's the reason collection #1 left), but she split and good riddance's. That's when I started collection #2 as seen in this thread.

The reason that I sold my stuff was that, frankly, I was self-conscious about what I collected. I worried that when family and friends came by, they would think I was some type of freak. I was forced to host a party and in an attempt to "fit in", I sold the collection. It was stupid. My kids were the ones who told me that I had to be myself and screw what others thought.

I have finally reached a point in my career/life that I can live comfortably and pursue my hobbies. I love monsters and always have and have focused my collection on various things. Masks and Vintage Posters are my passion and that's what I will collect and screw what everyone else thinks!

So with that explanation, I give you my new, new collection  ;D.

Check out my Vintage posters and Masks at The Haunted Cinema

Dr Borgo

I have a room in my house dedicated to my love of monsters and masks. It is full of all kinds of toys, model kits and masks galore. I know what you mean about feeling like people may think you are weird. I have often worried about people seeing my collection and thinking I'm juvenile at best and a psycho at worst. I threw away a lot of my collection one time. I kept a lot of stuff, but I regret the stuff I did lose. I keep the door to the room closed if I have guests over who might not understand collection monster memorabilia.

the_horror_man

Quote from: Creepy on March 10, 2018, 08:06:05 AM

The reason that I sold my stuff was that, frankly, I was self-conscious about what I collected. I worried that when family and friends came by, they would think I was some type of freak. I was forced to host a party and in an attempt to "fit in", I sold the collection. It was stupid. My kids were the ones who told me that I had to be myself and screw what others thought.

I have finally reached a point in my career/life that I can live comfortably and pursue my hobbies. I love monsters and always have and have focused my collection on various things. Masks and Vintage Posters are my passion and that's what I will collect and screw what everyone else thinks!

I think this is a topic that could fill up a whole other thread. However, first, what is the mask/bust on the far left right above the Wolf Man mask? It looks like a really cool alien mask.

Ok, I think many collectors experience your feelings to some degree. I would never sell any of my things because of someone else. The only way I would sell would be if I needed the money. Even then, it would be a last resort.

I am glad you are starting again and now lesson learned. I think as we get older we start to care less what others think. We become who we are and do what we want, other's judgement becomes irrelevant. We have been alive long enough to know that we want to do what makes us happy and we have earned the right through age and experience.

thm

the_horror_man

Quote from: Dr Borgo on March 10, 2018, 05:14:06 PM
I have a room in my house dedicated to my love of monsters and masks. It is full of all kinds of toys, model kits and masks galore. I know what you mean about feeling like people may think you are weird. I have often worried about people seeing my collection and thinking I'm juvenile at best and a psycho at worst. I threw away a lot of my collection one time. I kept a lot of stuff, but I regret the stuff I did lose. I keep the door to the room closed if I have guests over who might not understand collection monster memorabilia.

I have a very small circle of friends that I have had for a very long time. Only a couple are into Horror stuff, the others, they are not into it. However, They are friends with me, the person, not my collection.

There have been instances with new people that saw my collection and they faded out of the picture shortly after. I assume it was because of the collection. That's ok, I can understand. However, that is really their issue, not mine. I am very passionate about horror and monsters, not going to pretend I am not or not do what I love because some people, let alone strangers might not approve or like it.

Also, I think there still exists a certain biased towards horror, for example. If you have a movie about the mafia and 20 people are murdered throughout the film, that is acceptable. However, 20 people murdered in a horror movie and people think its not right or strange. It all depends on the story. A great story and great effects is what matters. Also, sometimes, you just enjoy a movie for what it is.

I think having a neat set up, might help. I mean if the collectibles room looks like a hoarders mess and a person walks in, it might be a bit off putting. However, if someone walks into a museum like or store like set up where everything is neat and beautifully displayed, they may admire the time and commitment it took to get the room looking so neat. However, this is just speculation, I do not think like the majority, so I can't assume what they might be thinking.

I say as long as it's not hurting anyone and you like it, do it.

thm

Kidagain

Glad to see you back collecting masks. Go for it and don't worry what people think. Enjoy yourself!

Creepy

Quote from: the_horror_man on March 11, 2018, 11:28:24 AM
I think this is a topic that could fill up a whole other thread. However, first, what is the mask/bust on the far left right above the Wolf Man mask? It looks like a really cool alien mask.

That is a screen used mask from Babylon 5. Like the Narn on the other side. I am a huge B5 fan. 

Creepy

Quote from: the_horror_man on March 11, 2018, 11:40:57 AM

Also, I think there still exists a certain biased towards horror, for example. If you have a movie about the mafia and 20 people are murdered throughout the film, that is acceptable. However, 20 people murdered in a horror movie and people think its not right or strange. It all depends on the story. A great story and great effects is what matters. Also, sometimes, you just enjoy a movie for what it is.

I think having a neat set up, might help. I mean if the collectibles room looks like a hoarders mess and a person walks in, it might be a bit off putting. However, if someone walks into a museum like or store like set up where everything is neat and beautifully displayed, they may admire the time and commitment it took to get the room looking so neat. However, this is just speculation, I do not think like the majority, so I can't assume what they might be thinking.

I say as long as it's not hurting anyone and you like it, do it.

thm

It's kinda sad, actually. If someone has a large sports memorabilia collection...jerseys on the wall, helmets, etc... No one would bat an eye. Have out what we collect and it's different.

StyreneDude

Creepy

Quote from: StyreneDude on March 12, 2018, 06:00:11 AM
^Glad to see you back Todd!

Thanks! Let me know if you have any masks that need a new home.

CerebusLives

Good to see you back into it sir!  I've long realized I'm never going to get laid because of my mask collection or toy collection and I'm certainly not going to sell my collections to be accepted by friends or family.  I've come to terms I'm not going get laid because I'm married and I don't value someone else's opinions enough to give up something I like.

BTW that I Spit On Your Grave movie poster could be considered offensive you should really part ways with that :).  I've got an open space
May you find your worth in the waking world

the_horror_man

Quote from: CerebusLives on March 12, 2018, 06:55:01 PM
Good to see you back into it sir!  I've long realized I'm never going to get laid because of my mask collection or toy collection and I'm certainly not going to sell my collections to be accepted by friends or family.  I've come to terms I'm not going get laid because I'm married and I don't value someone else's opinions enough to give up something I like.

BTW that I Spit On Your Grave movie poster could be considered offensive you should really part ways with that :).  I've got an open space

Great comments. Also, there is a new discussion about this in the "General Discussion" forum section. Lots of interesting insights going on there.

thm

Creepy

Quote from: CerebusLives on March 12, 2018, 06:55:01 PM

I like it just where its at! ;D