Are Movie Theaters Dying?

Started by Wolf Man, May 23, 2012, 04:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsters For Sale

For me, they died a long time ago. 

Too noisy, too dirty, too crowded, they don't play my kind of movies very often - and they are way too expensive for a single viewing.

I have a nice-sized TV (55 inches) and wait until any desired movie's Blu-Ray goes on sale.  I get as many viewings as I want, "making of" features, deleted scenes and commentaries - all for less than the price of a single ticket.  And food is whatever I want at bargain prices.

Show time is whenever the hell I want - even in the middle of the night.

No dressing up - or at all, if I want.  No driving and searching for convenient parking.  I always get the best seat in the house without talkers sitting behind me.  No one ever scrapes past me, making a mid-movie nature call.  (But I can put the show on pause, if I get the urge - or back it up, if I miss a line.)

I control the volume.  I don't have to go deaf unless I choose to.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I prefer to stay home.

ADAM

Hepcat

Does your movie viewing room come equipped with the proper accessories for the full theatrical experience?

???

Collecting! It's what I do!

long live kong

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on October 22, 2017, 08:37:53 PM
For me, they died a long time ago. 

Too noisy, too dirty, too crowded, they don't play my kind of movies very often - and they are way too expensive for a single viewing.

I have a nice-sized TV (55 inches) and wait until any desired movie's Blu-Ray goes on sale.  I get as many viewings as I want, "making of" features, deleted scenes and commentaries - all for less than the price of a single ticket.  And food is whatever I want at bargain prices.

Show time is whenever the hell I want - even in the middle of the night.

No dressing up - or at all, if I want.  No driving and searching for convenient parking.  I always get the best seat in the house without talkers sitting behind me.  No one ever scrapes past me, making a mid-movie nature call.  (But I can put the show on pause, if I get the urge - or back it up, if I miss a line.)

I control the volume.  I don't have to go deaf unless I choose to.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I prefer to stay home.

Couldn't put it better myself!
Monster lovers never grow old....

BRICK

I have probably only seen about half a dozen movies in a theater over the last 10 years. While there a still a number of films that I would LIKE to see when they first come out, there are very few movies that I NEED to see immediately. Although I still enjoy the theater experience (especially for comedies or horror films, where there is a group reaction); several factors limit my enthusiasm. Some of these include: the current price of movie tickets and concessions, quality and variety of the movies being released, movies are now projected digitally (I can tell the difference), image too dark because theaters have the bulb set to "economy" in an effort to make the lamps last longer, sound too loud, dirty/sticky theaters, noisy/rude audiences, etc.

Admittedly, I have a movie room with a Hi-Def projector and a 100" screen, so I can watch whatever I like, whenever I like. By the way, the newly restored Universal Monster sets on Blu-Ray are a real godsend in this department. When it comes to food, I can have the traditional popcorn/soda/hotdogs/pizza, or I could go fancy and have steak and lobster (okay, I haven't had those yet while watching a movie, but if anyone wants to bring them, you are invited for a film festival). The point is, I'm in control and I like that.

However, I don't necessarily think that it is all gloom and doom for the theater industry; I think that they have the ability to re-invent themselves; but, to do so, they need to think outside the box. I have seen theaters advertise about renting out screens for parties or events, while this is a good first step, they could go MUCH further. I think that they should be showing older films on a regular basis, like what they did a few years ago with TCM and Frankenstein/BOF. They could go through AFI 100 top movies, showing a different one every week or month; or do an Oscar or different movie theme each month. Do surveys and find out what movies people would actually like to see. Bring back double or even triple features (i.e. show all three original Star Wars movies in a row). Have midnight cult movies on the weekends. Show William Castle gimmick movies, like House on Haunted Hill or The Tingler, complete with Emergo or Percepto.  Have raffles associated with the movie tickets; make movies fun again!

Also, it's not just what they show, but how they show it. When I was growing up in Midland, Michigan, they had a restaurant called The Train Station. Basically, it was an old passenger train car that had been converted into a pizza parlor, and they would project old, silent 1920's comedies (and the like) while you ate, and it was GREAT (like dinner theater). Walt Disney World has something similar with the Sci-Fi Drive-In. I'm not saying that every theater is going to tear out all their chairs and replace them with tables, but they do need to try different things to get people in the door. Most importantly, they need to offer value for your dollar; if a small popcorn and soda is now selling for $10, they can't hope to charge you $100, per person, for a sit down meal (unless, of course, it's steak and lobster [did I mention, I like steak and lobster?]).

I had read that there was talk about offering "sneak preview" packages for some blockbuster movies; whereby, you would get to see the movie either early or at its first showing. You would also get a souvenir kit with memorabilia from the film, which included a digital copy (when it became available) as well as refreshments during the showing. I would have splurged for something like this if they had offered it for TMC's Frankenstein/BOF! Speaking of memorabilia, remember when theaters used to sell movie programs at the concession stand? I would love it if they had a small Suncoast-style shop where you could buy movie collectibles. Not just that, make it so that you can reserve a DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital copy of the film right in the theater, and have those theater reserved copies sent out a week earlier than you could get them online or in stores (that would create some sales traffic).  Also, for added revenue, they could replace the video style arcades with the gambling style arcades (or maybe just add a laundromat in the back). As I said, it is possible for movie theaters to re-invent themselves, but they need to get innovative.
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Wolfman

I rarely go to the movies anymore. Not enough good movies and too many obnoxious people keep me away. I like the comforts of watching at home.

JP

Scatter

I still genuinely enjoy the theatre experience......but there is precious little I care to see. We still have a Drive In here, but it's been two years since there has been anything there worth seeing.

If they had a Classic Movie Wednesday or something, I'd be a regular! But alas, even though I live in Satan's Waiting Room, packed to the gills with BlueHaired Palm Beachers barely clinging to life, they inexplicably refuse to cater to that market.......which renders their presence completely useless 😉.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Sean

Quote from: Scatter on November 02, 2017, 09:14:04 PM
I still genuinely enjoy the theatre experience......but there is precious little I care to see. We still have a Drive In here, but it's been two years since there has been anything there worth seeing.

If they had a Classic Movie Wednesday or something, I'd be a regular! But alas, even though I live in Satan's Waiting Room, packed to the gills with BlueHaired Palm Beachers barely clinging to life, they inexplicably refuse to cater to that market.......which renders their presence completely useless 😉.

Seriously, I don't know what kind of ticket sales are typical for a Wednesday.  You'd think a multiplex could afford 1 screen to do classics.   I know I'd go. 

Scatter

Exactly. One damn screen? Can't make that work? I walk in to screenings where there are 5 or 6 asses in the seats all the time. I know a classic series would outdraw THAT.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Sean

Quote from: Scatter on November 04, 2017, 07:18:32 PM
Exactly. One damn screen? Can't make that work? I walk in to screenings where there are 5 or 6 asses in the seats all the time. I know a classic series would outdraw THAT.

Absolutely.  Case in point, I took my 13 year old to see IT with her friend.  It was a 96-seat theatre with those big fat recliners----there were us 3 and MAYBE 8-10 other people.