The Outer Space Men and the New York Comic Con

Started by NekroDave, February 09, 2009, 10:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NekroDave

The Outer Space Men at the con was AMAZING! I've only had a passing interest in these toys in the past, but seeing them in person all in one place like that was jaw-dropping. Easily the coolest booth at the show. Carded specimens, loose specimens, bagged Bullmarks, customs, you name it, it was there. I was too poor to grab the graphic novel or a t-shirt unfortunately, but we asked and were told to expect new toys in the future at some point. They're still hammering out details on what form they'll take, but the guy there (Gary, I think?) sounded pretty adamant about it. I believe his exact words were "They WILL return!"  ;D

Gareee

GREAT news! I noticed that Mattel also added questions about Major Matt Mason on their poll a few weeks ago!

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: NekroDave on February 09, 2009, 10:52:43 PM
bagged Bullmarks, customs, you name it, it was there.

You get any pics of this? Also, do you know if Mel Birnkrant was in attendance? Perhaps it's better I not know since I'm still sick over not going. Just kidding, I gotta know. Would love to have seen the Bullmark package, which I have never even seen a photo of, in person. Were these for sale or just display?
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

poseablemonster

Are they re-sculpting them, or are they going with re-issuing the old ones?

Monster Bob

Ten bucks sez they'll look like this...

...not even taking into consideration the old toys-the whole reason there in interest in the franchise to begin with. That would be typical Mattel.

:-X

Gareee

Actually, Mattel reissued many of the He man figures at the same time they released the new cartoon ones a few years ago, so that's a bum rap.

And recently they started releasing matty collector exclusives, which are kind of a cross between the original figures, and the newer ones released a few years ago, so they ARE trying to respect original properties, but also attract today's audience as well.

I kinda like some of the new designs as well, and would probably buy rereleases of select older figures, but also the some of the newer updates a well.

Monster Bob

With all the crappy figure lines/bad toy decisions that the toy companies make (and don't sell), you would think that in this case, there is no reason not to make a new retro line (the line which the Company should 'push' in advertising), plus a redo of the originals in better-but-similar materials, like they did Cap'n Action. The toy old timers will find them and buy them, even without advertising. Like Mattel found out with last year's 1966 Batmobile line, there is a nostalgia audience that wants these types of toys, but Mattel still doesn't know how to read them, considering all the information that is easily accessible on the internet. I think Mattel would be surprised at how popular the little alien buggers would be.

Monster Bob

...I would even like to see an expansion of the old line- with spaceships, playsets, or whatever, but in the olde vein.

poseablemonster

Ideally, they would do the first series and the previously unreleased second series without the resculpting.  That would be an answered prayer for me.  These were my favorite toys as a kid.

Wich2

Andy, that sounds cool -

- but MY Grail is the smaller TOYHOUSE SPACE MARAUDER versions!

Best,
-Craig

ChattyLMS

That's great news!
I understand that Mattel is issuing Ghostbusters for collectors.  I guess Kenner was bought out by Mattel.  I saw the GB figures on line and they look really great.  They look like the movie characters.  They did a good job of sculpting the actual actors.  But they are missing Winston and Janine.  That's too bad.
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

NekroDave

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on February 10, 2009, 02:56:22 AM
You get any pics of this? Also, do you know if Mel Birnkrant was in attendance? Perhaps it's better I not know since I'm still sick over not going. Just kidding, I gotta know. Would love to have seen the Bullmark package, which I have never even seen a photo of, in person. Were these for sale or just display?

If Mel was there, I didn't meet him.

He did have lots of stuff for sale, but the prices on them were way more than I could even think about. My camera stinks so I didn't even bring it. But Sanjeev took pics of everything so as soon as he uploads them, I'll re-post them here..

Gareee

Quote from: ChattyLMS on February 10, 2009, 02:00:25 PM
That's great news!
I understand that Mattel is issuing Ghostbusters for collectors.  I guess Kenner was bought out by Mattel.  I saw the GB figures on line and they look really great.  They look like the movie characters.  They did a good job of sculpting the actual actors.  But they are missing Winston and Janine.  That's too bad.

Some of the characters could not be shown yet, because they didn't have licensing approval yet. All 4 of the main GBs are scheduled, as well as smaller 6" figures and the Real Ghostbusters cartoon license, but much is up in the air until they see how much customer desire there is for the line. If all goes well, they;ve even mentioned doing smaller star wars sized figures as well.

Roback

I spent some time with Gary at his booth and picked up both the graphic novel and the tee shirt. Anyone that goes through that much trouble deserves to be supported in my opinion if you can swing it. Apparently there are 6 known second series sets out there. All accounted for. Mel claims that a little over 70,000 of each first series characters were released which is obviously not many at all hence the $15,000.00 asking price. While my focus was on attending the Mego panel with Marty Abrams, I think I may have pics on my camera of the Outspacemen booth. I'll check. In the mean time, the topic of the panel was Mego: Past, present and future. It's a fun read with lots of info. I'm going to be posting the video of the actual Q+A session on Megocentral soon.

http://megocentral.proboards37.com/index.cgi?board=talking&action=display&thread=9613
Robert Acquarulo

Wich2

(Rob, speaking of the lil' 8" bastards - did you get the POTA article I sent you recently...?)