BABY FRANKENSTEIN

Started by Monsters For Sale, October 04, 2012, 07:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charp13

Baby Frankenstein is fascinating! I had never laid eyes on this little guy before reading this topic! I wish I knew what they were going to do with his character.....maybe a stage show at the park?? He's a cute little guy, and I can imagine a whole Monster themed play are for the younger set!

a71678

I found this in a 1976 Universal Studios Fun Pak in my amusement park collection. It's not a great rendering, but that's definitely Baby Frank (making a politically incorrect joke, nonetheless)!

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/a71678/BabyFrankenstein_zpsfd06cf77.jpg

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: a71678 on January 06, 2014, 08:39:14 PM
I found this in a 1976 Universal Studios Fun Pak in my amusement park collection. It's not a great rendering, but that's definitely Baby Frank (making a politically incorrect joke, nonetheless)!

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/a71678/BabyFrankenstein_zpsfd06cf77.jpg

Cool!  What does the "Fun Pak" look like?

Maybe I can find one some day.

AND WELCOME NEW MEMBER!  Thanks for making this your first post!!!
ADAM

a71678

Thanks, Adam! I stumbled upon the UMA website a few weeks ago while waiting at the airport for my stepdaughter's delayed plane to come in late. I was using my laptop to look up information on non-sports cards (which is what I collect) and came across a post about monster cards on this site. While I don't collect monster memorabilia, per se, I really enjoy seeing what's out there. I don't have much to contribute, other than said cards and a Frankenstein bank from my Mold-A-Rama collection, but when I found the fun pak and noticed a Baby Frank reference, I was happy to share.

Here are links to the cover of the fun pak and the insides (the price tag is covering the stamp area--I paid a whopping dollar for it at an antique store in Delaware about a year ago.  (I can't figure out how to post images here, but if I could, I would.)  It's interesting; the only licensed characters included are Frankenstein (who's on there twice--once by himself and once with Baby Frank) and Jaws; everything else is generic.

Enjoy!

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/a71678/IMG_7868_zpsc7839ff6.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/a71678/IMG_7870_zpsa0883a1a.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/a71678/IMG_7873_zps858beeeb.jpg

horrorhunter

Here is a link to a thread with instructional video explaining how to post photos, a71678.

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=2087.0
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Monsters For Sale

Baby Frankenstein continues to be a little-known, not much loved creation that doesn't generate much excitement among collectors - except when it comes to his banks.

Item in point:

(eBay Item No. 310968924343)

These banks continue to rise in price.  It will be interesting to see how high they will go.
ADAM

Monster Bob

YIKES! is all I have to say...

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on October 04, 2012, 07:19:12 PM

Press photo - 8x10 - 1977...

Unlike the photo in my initial post, this shot of Baby Frankenstein has him appearing with the Frankenstein and Bride from the "Land of a Thousand Faces" makeup attraction.  There a couple differences in Baby's outfit.  Here he wears some sort of lapel pin and does not have stitches in his legs.  No year is given.

(Handwritten on the back of the 8x10 is "No Superstition Here".)
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

By 1980 Baby Frankenstein had acquired long pants and a striped shirt.

(Frankenstein, Baby Frankenstein & Phantom with Glamor Tram - 1980.)

Looks like they did Easter promotions as well.  Here we see Baby Frankenstein in an undated photo, but wearing the same outfit as in the dated 1980 photo above.

(Frankenstein, Baby Frankenstein & Easter Bunny.)

ADAM

horrorhunter

This whole Baby Frankenstein thing has some seriously twisted connotations which make it strangely compelling. Beneath the kiddie friendly surface you have an implied flesh golem constructed of children's corpse-bits for the sake of a public attraction and making a buck. This idea is subconsciously intriguing under the veneer of childish entertainment. It's creepier than an adult Frankenstein's Monster. I like it.  >:D
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: horrorhunter on November 02, 2015, 11:11:47 PM
This whole Baby Frankenstein thing has some seriously twisted connotations which make it strangely compelling. Beneath the kiddie friendly surface you have an implied flesh golem constructed of children's corpse-bits for the sake of a public attraction and making a buck. This idea is subconsciously intriguing under the veneer of childish entertainment. It's creepier than an adult Frankenstein's Monster. I like it.  >:D

Funny, it hadn't really occurred to me that he was constructed of various children's corpses.

Kids can't be relied on to croak with any regularity.  You suppose the good doctor employed hit men to collect his ingredients?
ADAM

horrorhunter

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on November 02, 2015, 11:17:41 PM
Funny, it hadn't really occurred to me that he was constructed of various children's corpses.

Kids can't be relied on to croak with any regularity.  You suppose the good doctor employed hit men to collect his ingredients?
Grave robbers and murderers probably wouldn't have many compunctions about knocking off some annoying street urchins, and mad scientists don't let the stumbling block of morality impede the "advancement of SCIENCE!!!... bwa-ha-ha-ha". Burke and Hare were totally ruthless, and Dr. Knox didn't question the freshness of the goods. Those guys were upstanding citizens compared to a megalomaniacal sociopath like Dr. Frankenstein and his subhuman henchmen. Child murders for the purpose of monster making just adds to the profound evil of this whole underlying idea.  >:D

Gives the term Monsterkid a whole new meaning.  ededed
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Gory Glenn

Reminds me a bit of this little fella.  :)

Sean

Quote from: horrorhunter on November 02, 2015, 11:11:47 PM

I would be compelled to assault it with great vigor. ;D

charp13

Hey everyone.  Thanks for posting all the additional pictures! I am becoming obsessed with Baby Frankenstein.  I'm not an artist or anything, but I am seriously planning on making an amateur version of this little guy for my 2016 Halloween yard display. There's something about that face!  I have a 5' Frankenstein that was sold at one of the value stores a few years ago, and I am hoping to use him as a base.