NON-MONSTER FORUMS TO BE CLOSED AND REMOVED ON APRIL 27TH

Started by Toy Ranch, April 21, 2014, 04:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count_Zirock

Friends, remember, if you think a particular thread should be saved, start posting the links to them! Today's the 23rd. The 27th is just around the corner. If you use Tapatalk, there's an easy "Copy URL" feature in the menu.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Hepcat on April 23, 2014, 08:07:50 AM
That particular statement of yours makes no sense at all. The moderators here have the same powers as they do in every other forum and they've been using those powers in the same way. They set the ground rules of the forum, they lock threads when discussions/arguments get out of hand and they issue warnings to members who are ignoring the rules and ban those who are being just plain disruptive. It's been the same on UMA as it is on every other forum from the start.

???

I'm talking about manpower.  Moderator manpower.  Time.  Time.  Time.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Flower on April 23, 2014, 06:10:18 AM

Now that you've brought it up, having a discussion without the facts is sort (fill in your own blanks).

Leopards don't change their spots and all else, if a few posters are/were the problem (I don't know what the problem really is and I'm not bringing up that question), won't it be more effective to just PM them to stop starting certain types of threads?

Again, having any debate without facts to back it up ...(fill in your own blanks again) .. we can guess and surmise but in the end the fat man .. err .. lady .. or crickets will chirp or perhaps a lion will roar but only time will tell.

I am not aware that I was debating anything.  With regard to the present situation, I am surmising based upon what I have read and what I personally feel: time is the problem the moderators face.  Mere conjecture, really.  Sometimes that's all one can offer. 

Flower

Quote from: aura of foreboding on April 23, 2014, 06:16:54 PM
I am not aware that I was debating anything.  With regard to the present situation, I am surmising based upon what I have read and what I personally feel: time is the problem the moderators face.  Mere conjecture, really.  Sometimes that's all one can offer. 

Sorry AOF .. what I meant and apparently was unclear about is that the forum admins sort of started (I could be getting this wrong) this thread for discussion on the coming changes, leaving things open to debate.  I also understand that there are issues that they don't wish to share with the forum, which is their right but my point being .. How does one fairly debate or evaluate a topic without knowing all the facts?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Toy Ranch on April 21, 2014, 04:43:34 AM
The Universal Monster Army has decided to return to our roots and focus our forum back to what it was about when we started, which is monsters. As such, the following forums will be removed sometime on April 27, 2014.

Non-Monster Toys
Non-Monster Movies
General Discussion
Games, Polls, and Lists
Music
Sports
Technology & Video Games
Members Only

We realize this comes as a shock to many of our members, and may be very unpopular with some as well, however this decision was not made in haste, and it is not going to be reversed.  You are free to comment on this in this thread only, however if you are disruptive or abusive, your account will be suspended.

After the forums are removed, threads and posts off the topic of monsters may be deleted, at the discretion of forum moderators and administrators.

As the main General Discussion forum contains threads which are relevant to monsters and contain important parts of our history, it will be edited for non-monster content and returned in read-only form.  If there are threads in any of the forums slated for removal that contain significant monster content and you would like to remain available, please post a link to them below, and they will be reviewed and considered for moving to Gen Disc when it is returned as read-only.

Any off-topic threads that you may wish to save for posterity just hit the PRINT button in the top right toolbar and then right click and save as. You can save it to your hard drive.

Thanks for your attention and cooperation.

The Universal Monster Army Staff

Quote from: Flower on April 23, 2014, 06:47:04 PM
Sorry AOF .. what I meant and apparently was unclear about is that the forum admins sort of started (I could be getting this wrong) this thread for discussion on the coming changes, leaving things open to debate.
Not really. It's gonna happen, period. The only discussion is for threads that should, perhaps, be moved into appropriate monster-related threads. Unless that's what you are referring to. In which case, you're 100% correct.

aura of foreboding

Zackuth

Quote from: aura of foreboding on April 23, 2014, 05:59:16 PM
I'm talking about manpower.  Moderator manpower.  Time.  Time.  Time.

If time is the issue, perhaps something can be done.  This is an army, and all military personnel have to stand watch.

We could have a call for volunteers, open to Sergeants only, to read posts in a section to look for inappropriate posts, just as moderators do.  When the duty personnel finds one, they alert the moderator by pressing the "report to moderator button".  I would suggest they duty person stay on duty for a month, starting on the 1st and ending on the 28th, 29th, 30th, 31st (whichever day it is), beginning and ending at midnight MST (Monster Standard Time, I don't believe Monsters use Daylight Time).  I would have the duty person assigned to one or two sections, depending upon how many volunteer.  There should be those who are assigned to particular sites and 1 or 2 alternates.  Alternates will be available in case, due to health/work/family, someone assigned cannot complete the month.  Feedback from the moderators will be critical in the beginning as we learn exactly what posts we should report.
Once fully trained this will have the following results:
1.   All moderators will have to worry about as far as posts are the ones you're alerted.  Moderators will have more time for themselves.
2.   Those who volunteer will end up monitoring their own posts, and those deemed inappropriate will not get posted.  Seriously, after reading posts for inappropriate content, I know that if I begin writing something that shouldn't be posted, I'll catch it.

That being said, I would like to volunteer, beginning May 1st, for duty.
"Listen to them; the children of the night.  What music they make!"  Dracula

aura of foreboding

With all due respect, that already exists -- albeit in a less structured (arguably less complicated) manner.  The "report" feature allows any member to report activity to a moderator.  This alerts mods to a problem.   

Flower

Quote from: Count_Zirock on April 23, 2014, 06:58:24 PM
Not really. It's gonna happen, period. The only discussion is for threads that should, perhaps, be moved into appropriate monster-related threads. Unless that's what you are referring to. In which case, you're 100% correct.

Sorry Count, I wasn't addressing you but was clarifying a statement to someone else. REALLY!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Flower

Quote from: Count_Zirock on April 23, 2014, 06:58:24 PM

I am unable to edit my posts and wonder why you are addressing or misquoting me.  I never said that there won't be changes, only that we are debating issues without having all the facts.  You have no idea about what I am posting about, it's not about you. I've never asked you a question, nor did I raise a question.

tv horror

Like Flower and the Baron I'll give my two cents even though everybody knows I have no cents in the first place.  By all means keep the Limerick thread the Baron is one of our elder statesmen and it is chock a block with monster references. As for the remaining threads I agree that some of them have left the tracks so streamlining the forum might be a great thing and I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Now before I am put upon, I have to stress that over the years I have made some fantastic friends on this forum and in turn I hope that I have given back some of the friendship shown to me. Yes it will be sad to see some members go as it has been for those members who have passed away, but you never know there could be that thread where some of your other collectibles might just fit in over time. I will be paying a wait and see game, and as a little p.s comics do have a place on the site. 
A limerick a day keeps the Baron at bay

FETT1

Quote from: Street Worm on April 22, 2014, 05:42:16 PM
So are Finks, Weird-Ohs &  Flypoggers monsters?  :o

OHHHHH I hOpe so.........

nutty mads ...these definitely lOok da part !
I'm MAd about MaRX WEiRD oHs and  NuTtY MAdS ... ;)

Toy Ranch

The Roth and weirdos threads have already been moved to vintage toys.  We will have one non monster toy thread. I can combine a couple into one but that is a little messy.

There will be a horror lit forum and limericks will be moved there.

Beasts can be read only.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Allhallowsday

Quote from: Wicked Lester on April 22, 2014, 07:44:04 PM
THE UMA a couple months from now. Well close. BAD decision Mods. >:(

Cricket Sound
I often  embed that YouTube.  That's an all time favorite! 

If one were to read all of the comments and had prior insight, one might construe that this change is a necessary refocus of the website's initial purpose: building monster toy collections. 
If you want to view Paradise, simply look around and view it.

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Flower on April 23, 2014, 07:42:08 PM
Sorry Count, I wasn't addressing you but was clarifying a statement to someone else. REALLY!

Quote from: Flower on April 23, 2014, 08:12:33 PM
I am unable to edit my posts and wonder why you are addressing or misquoting me.  I never said that there won't be changes, only that we are debating issues without having all the facts.  You have no idea about what I am posting about, it's not about you. I've never asked you a question, nor did I raise a question.
I was trying to help clarify something. Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, that's all. I've read all the posts in here, so I do have a basic grasp of what's going on! I'm tired of walking on eggshells, so I'm going to do us both a favor and block you. That way, I don't somehow start the UMA Crimean War by simply replying to a post.
Edit: It seems blocking is no longer an option. Guess I'll have to get used to eggshells.